COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are two problems with the SureScreen test.
It is too cheap - how could it possibly be any good at only £6?

The main problem though is that it is not blind - the subject sees the result.

All the Billions that is being spent on CoV and for £6 you could find out yourself, whenever you want!

The accuracy that some are moaning about is far above what PWD are used too. It is actually two tests that are run simultaneously- one is 99.6% accurate - and only one of them is needed for a positive result. If 99.6% is not “good enough”, just run a second (double) test after an hour.
A 99.6% Accurate blood prick is something we can only dream of.

https://www.surescreen.com/products/covid-19-coronavirus-rapid-test-cassette

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are two problems with the SureScreen test.
It is too cheap - how could it possibly be any good at only £6?

The main problem though is that it is not blind - the subject sees the result.

All the Billions that is being spent on CoV and for £6 you could find out yourself, whenever you want!

The accuracy that some are moaning about is far above what PWD are used too. It is actually two tests that are run simultaneously- one is 99.6% accurate - and only one of them is needed for a positive result. If 99.6% is not “good enough”, just run a second (double) test after an hour.

I'd want one... Business use only.

Agree on the picky nature of some complaints.
For £6 could offer an awful lot of relief for many.

Reactions: Bill_St

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From today's email...

My husband and I felt better informed after listening to today's podcast...

Peter Attia, MD's second interview with Peter Hotez, MD, Ph.D., recorded March 19, 2020...
#99 – Peter Hotez, M.D., Ph.D.: Continuing the conversation on COVID-19
https://peterattiamd.com/peterhotez2/
And here's the first interview, recorded March 13, 2020...
#97 – Peter Hotez, M.D., Ph.D.: COVID-19: transmissibility, vaccines, risk reduction, and treatment
https://peterattiamd.com/peterhotez/

Reactions: LucySW

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And this from Chris Kresser, a leader in the functional medicine community...

Important COVID-19 update: risk of propolis and vitamins A and D, current stats, and more

I wanted to share some important COVID-19-related updates with you, along with links to some articles I’ve found to be helpful.

Immune support
On the webinar I did last weekend, I offered several ideas for boosting immune function during the COVID-19 outbreak. Among them were propolis and high-dose vitamin A and D. I have since come across research suggesting that propolis and megadoses of A and D may not be a good idea because, at least in theory, they could increase the expression of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE2) receptors.

In many cases, botanicals, plant medicines, and nutrients like propolis and vitamins A and D have a modulatory effect—i.e., they upregulate or downregulate a function based on what is needed. That may be true here.

However, since coronavirus gets into our cells by hijacking ACE2 receptors, I think it’s probably wise to avoid anything that might upregulate those receptors. For this reason, I now suggest avoiding propolis and high doses of vitamins A and D during the COVID-19 pandemic. You can (and should) still eat adequate amounts of A and D in food, and can supplement with lower doses of vitamin D (e.g., 1,000 IU) if you live in a place where you’re getting minimal sun exposure, or your 25-D levels are below 40 mg/dL.

Younger people aren’t always safe from COVID-19
New data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that nearly 40 percent of the COVID-19 patients in the United States that were sick enough to be hospitalized were aged 20 to 54. While the mortality rate in this group is still much lower than in patients aged 60 or higher, younger patients can experience serious complications including persistent lung damage. Many younger people I’ve spoken with seem to believe they aren’t at risk—this is, unfortunately, not the case.

The power of individual action in a viral pandemic
I still see and hear of (mostly younger) people who are ignoring the social distancing measures, congregating in larger groups, and taking a cavalier approach to COVID-19. This seems to stem from two misunderstandings: 1) younger people aren’t at risk, and 2) individual action won’t make much of a difference.

I addressed #1 in the last paragraph. As for #2, I refer you to an
excellent graph and thought experiment by epidemiologist Britta Jewell. Assuming 30 percent growth of COVID-19 through the next month, she looked at the difference between one person taking aggressive social distancing action now versus seven days later, and found that a single person taking action now versus a week later would prevent 1,800 cases, 360 hospitalizations, 90 ICU visits, and 18 deaths. If you needed any extra motivation to practice effective social distancing and containment, this is it.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cont'

The paradox of preparation
Along the same lines, Jason Kottke wrote an excellent article explaining why, in a pandemic like COVID-19, appropriate actions to “flatten the curve” often seem like overkill both at the time they are taken, and in retrospect. He quotes physician Dr. James Hamblin:

“The thing is if shutdowns and social distancing work perfectly and are extremely effective it will seem in retrospect like they were totally unnecessary overreactions.”

and epidemiologist Mari Armstrong-Hough:

“You won’t ever know if what you did personally helped. That’s the nature of public health. When the best way to save lives is to prevent a disease rather than treat it, success often looks like an overreaction.”

Why meditation/mindfulness are so important during a crisis
As many of you know, I suffered from a severe chronic illness in my 20s and 30s. I learned many powerful lessons from that experience, but one of the most valuable was the importance of taking life one day at a time and not projecting my current reality too far into the future.

We’re all in that same boat today with COVID-19. Our lives have changed dramatically—and they may never be quite the same again. We’re plagued with uncertainties, and many of us are experiencing heightened fear and anxiety.

During times like this, a practice that can help keep our attention grounded in the present moment is vital. For me, meditation is that practice.

I know many people who want to try meditation, but are reluctant for various reasons. A couple years ago, I wrote an article called “
The Top 5 Myths about Meditation” to address some of the hesitations that folks have. I also include a few suggestions for getting started with meditation at the end of the article, so check it out!

I hope you’re all staying healthy and taking care of yourselves and each other.

Warmly,
Chris

P.S. I recently recorded a podcast and answered reader questions around COVID-19. In this podcast I cover everything from government response to the outbreak, to virus incubation periods, to Paleo-friendly pantry stocking options, and much more.
Click here to listen.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a beautiful day in Cumbria, the next house is c.100 yds away and we are surrounded by fields. The migrant birds are coming back and the hedgerows are showing green.

My wife's friend came up at lunch time, she lives in the same hamlet.
They spent some time talking in the front garden, my wife's on sticks after a hip replacement 4 weeks ago, so I took out her special high stool to sit on. Her friend had brought up some paracetomol and the local paper my wife wanted.

I joked with them that they could stand closer than the four meters they appeared to be apart.

It's hard to believe amidst all this beauty so much hardship is taken place.

We are very fortunate, two members of the local Methodist church have promised to bring us groceries, because they have care groups for the isolated, and those at risk.

I feel for those less well off and I keep reminding myself, one should give money to the food banks.
Atb
Derek

That's a nice post. Not saying there shoudn't be informative / frightened ones but it's heartening to see that.
And so similar to us. We are (pretty much) self-isolating but we have family living close by. We meet up on the playing fields. My step-daughter and grandsons and me and the Mrs throw balls for our dog. We don't get too close to each other but it's a wonderful second best.
It's our way of keeping in touch.
For the first time in five weeks I managed to walk round my regular mile-long circuit, early morning.
I met a lady, a fellow dog walker, who wondered where I'd been lately. She told me she was going back to work that morning after recovering from a broken foot. She works in the local health centre and she told me she was very frightened but she would go in.
She appeared a little surprised when I told her that she was very gutsy and I thanked her profusely for making the effort for all of us. Perhaps what I said gave her the little boost she needed. She smiled at me and said, 'thanks for saying that.'
I walked away thinking just how lucky we are to have people like her in our midst.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night, I took my friend shopping. A number of the stores closed early, so we went out again today. I've never experienced shortages before.

Yesterday, with my friend's help, I found 2 cans of diced tomatoes, 2 cans of kidney beans, and more beef broth to make soup.

Today I found the alcohol I needed to set up a station at work to clean our smart phones with alcohol, cotton balls, and tongs. And I now have one container of disinfectant wipes for home and car. The stores are finally putting limits on purchases of high demand items, which has really helped.

Now that we have everything we need for the next week or so, I feel I can relax and just enjoy my time at home this weekend. It's been a stressful couple of weeks. I still can't believe how much things have changed in my community.

After reading what doctors, nurses, and support staff are going through, I'm embarrassed by what I've written...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/he...ews-coronavirus-survey/ar-BB11tMzK?li=BBnb7Kz

They have patients who likely have COVID-19, but don't have tests kits available to test them, and supplies are so short, they aren't given protective masks, etc. for their own protection until the patient is diagnosed...

This is not right.

Last edited:

jane1950

how can a person who is classed as vulnerable has to go looking around for food, it is difficult, so I hav e to risk it

Important COVID-19 update: risk of propolis and vitamins A and D, current stats, and more

I wanted to share some important COVID-19-related updates with you, along with links to some articles I’ve found to be helpful.

Immune support
On the webinar I did last weekend, I offered several ideas for boosting immune function during the COVID-19 outbreak. Among them were propolis and high-dose vitamin A and D. I have since come across research suggesting that propolis and megadoses of A and D may not be a good idea because, at least in theory, they could increase the expression of angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE2) receptors.

In many cases, botanicals, plant medicines, and nutrients like propolis and vitamins A and D have a modulatory effect—i.e., they upregulate or downregulate a function based on what is needed. That may be true here.

However, since coronavirus gets into our cells by hijacking ACE2 receptors, I think it’s probably wise to avoid anything that might upregulate those receptors. For this reason, I now suggest avoiding propolis and high doses of vitamins A and D during the COVID-19 pandemic. You can (and should) still eat adequate amounts of A and D in food, and can supplement with lower doses of vitamin D (e.g., 1,000 IU) if you live in a place where you’re getting minimal sun exposure, or your 25-D levels are below 40 mg/dL.

New data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that nearly 40 percent of the COVID-19 patients in the United States that were sick enough to be hospitalized were aged 20 to 54. While the mortality rate in this group is still much lower than in patients aged 60 or higher, younger patients can experience serious complications including persistent lung damage. Many younger people I’ve spoken with seem to believe they aren’t at risk—this is, unfortunately, not the case.

I still see and hear of (mostly younger) people who are ignoring the social distancing measures, congregating in larger groups, and taking a cavalier approach to COVID-19. This seems to stem from two misunderstandings: 1) younger people aren’t at risk, and 2) individual action won’t make much of a difference.

excellent graph and thought experiment by epidemiologist Britta Jewell. Assuming 30 percent growth of COVID-19 through the next month, she looked at the difference between one person taking aggressive social distancing action now versus seven days later, and found that a single person taking action now versus a week later would prevent 1,800 cases, 360 hospitalizations, 90 ICU visits, and 18 deaths. If you needed any extra motivation to practice effective social distancing and containment, this is it.

Immune support

how can someone who is classed as vulnerable , self isolate as much as possible when they have to go out to buy food

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and here's one more from today's email...

In this article by Dr. Michael Murray, Your First Line of Defense Against Viral Infections, he added to my knowledge of how the nutritional supplement N-Acetylcysteine (NAC) helps the lungs. It was an informative read...

https://www.iherb.com/blog/the-muco...-line-of-defense-against-viral-infections/928
Thanks for asking after me, @Winnie53 - mostly I'm just waiting and hoping this crazy hoarding fetish stops. Any time of the day, drive by the local shopping centres and it looks like a non-stop Christmas Eve panic going on. Two whole weeks of total insanity and today is just as bad as all the other days. Crackers!

Re. the above, at least as far as pulmonary fibrosis, NAC is not as straight forward as it may seem. A recent study was stopped but after analysis of genetic factors, they discovered that NAC works well for people with a particular SNP but actually causes harm to people without the SNP. Now planning a further study with pre-screening for the SNP. Recently watched an interesting presentation on the PANTHER study from the recent PF conference (https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/grants-and-training/panther-ipf-faqs)

On a personal level, I tried NAC supplementation briefly last year - firstly, the capsules give off the most disgusting smell, but did my best to hold my nose and swallow. After only a few doses, next thing I was salivating like crazy, followed by overwhelming nausea and throwing up - thankfully reached the sink just in time. Experiment stopped! I feel sick again just thinking about it.

From the PANTHER Study review above: Common side effects include nausea, stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea, rash, hives, itching, fever, drowsiness, headache, migraine, reduced blood pressure, rapid heart rate, and ringing in the ears.

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The accuracy that some are moaning about is far above what PWD are used to. It is actually two tests that are run simultaneously- one is 99.6% accurate - and only one of them is needed for a positive result. If 99.6% is not “good enough”, just run a second (double) test after an hour.

Do you get the impression that some wish to keep Control?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ts-for-use-in-community-pharmacies-or-at-home

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To all those who think this is all panicking,
Want us all to keep calm. And carry on.

Do yourself, your family and perhaps most importantly every other person YOU might infect...
Spend 5 minutes and listen to this UK doctor,. Reporting his feeling from the hospital.

M

Member496333

To all those who think this is all panicking,
Want us all to keep calm. And carry on.

Do yourself, your family and perhaps most importantly every other person YOU might infect...
Spend 5 minutes and listen to this UK doctor,. Reporting his feeling from the hospital.

Hmmm. Not wishing to be too contrarian, and I don't necessarily disagree with what he says, but I raise an eyebrow at [paraphrased] "I'll still get paid regardless of what happens, but you should stay at home even if you won't." :shifty:

I'm self-employed. Is Dr. Jack going to pay my mortgage if I sit at home watching Netflix for three months? Intentions are all well and good until reality strikes.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmmm. Not wishing to be too contrarian, and I don't necessarily disagree with what he says, but I raise an eyebrow at [paraphrased] "I'll still get paid regardless of what happens, but you should stay at home even if you won't." :shifty:

I'm self-employed. Is Dr. Jack going to pay my mortgage if I sit at home watching Netflix for three months? Intentions are all well and good until reality strikes.

So agree.

This is a wide world disease, that needs nations as one to unite in delaying the severity of its impact as long as possible.

Only right all, self employed like you are also brought into the safety net recently announced.

One weak link and the virus lives on, to overwhelm the NHS.

Personally beleive boris was late to do things, this is one that needs addressing asap.

Take care, Jim

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
So agree.

This is a wide world disease, that needs nations as one to unite in delaying the severity of its impact as long as possible.

Only right all, self employed let you are also brought into the safety net recently announced.

One weak link and the virus lives on, to overwhelm the NHS.

Personally beleive boris was late to do things, this is one that needs addressing asap.

Take care, Jim

We should spare a thought for what will happen in the shanty towns of Africa and the favelas of South America,
I hope there is a way soon of stopping this plague.
D.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent video...

What This Chart Actually Means

Cheers @Winnie53

knew the ins and outs of that since keeping up on twitters but it was very neatly explained
worth spending time watching for those who wonder if it is all just too much panicking.
sound reasoning behind it.

Btw have seen the numbers for Italy to day.. 6, 000 + new cases..:wideyed:

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm self-employed. Is Dr. Jack going to pay my mortgage if I sit at home watching Netflix for three months?
first off, i hope you keep well and solvent! You come across as a resourceful individual but this situation needs society (oh look there is such a thing as society) to step up in a concerted effort to stabilise for the duration....
I'm bothered that the economic interventions so far have been about mortgage payers and regular paye wage earners who, frankly, are probably the least vulnerable (although not in all cases for sure). It's so ill thought out and inadequately informed, not understanding the gig economy, flexible working, pay day living, rent. It's like our leaders don't understand the real world (colour me shocked).
My take on this interview is a desperate (and really heartfelt) plea from someone who can't match their experience to the behaviour of others, going to work when self employed "yes", going to the pub NO! It's all about sophisticated informed joined up thinking, something that is lacking not only in our leadership but also in the population in general (encouraged, supported, justified by the system if that's the way your thinking leans, or else perhaps just people being people without adequate competent leadership).
Honestly it's not difficult, if you don't have to do it, don't do it. If you have to do it (dog to the vet, visit/care for isolated relative, work) do it but be assiduous in your behaviour. If you're on the front line you are a hero. Don't be a selfish #insert disparaging term of your choice here#.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe this man is close to tears in part because if people don't regulate their behaviour (and most likely even if they do) he and his colleagues will be required to triage and choose between treating a 50 year old with asthma, or a child with cancer, or a healthy 65 year old. You choose to go down the pub, he chooses what?