Welcome to the Vegetarian/Vegan Forum

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I am a really strict vegetarian and type 1 and I am concerned about the insulin, the doctors said that Lantus and Nova Rapid are suitable when I asked them but I'm not too sure I trust that they know what they were talking about, I was really concerned yesterday when I noticed a picture of a cow on the back of the packet. I've looked all over the internet but can't get a solid yes or no anywhere. Can anyone tell me definitively and with absolute clarity whether these types of insulin are suitable for vegetarians?

Hi Martie, the analogue Insulins that you have been provided (and that the majority of people are given) with are grown using bacteria and yeast in a manufacturing plant and not extracted from animals. I'd consider them suitable for vegetarians.

If I'm honest, and not trying to be funny, you need to carefully consider what you mean by "suitable for vegetarians" as while you state you are a really strict vegetarian, if you were to determine that the way insulin is made didn't fall into your views, and you stopped taking it, there is no alternative, so the consequences would ultimately be death.

Reactions: Martie_Warin

Martie_Warin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, greed, pain, suffering, injustice, tiredness feeling uncomfortable (both mentally and physically are unpleasant in anyone's book!)
Hi Martie, the analogue Insulins that you have been provided (and that the majority of people are given) with are grown using bacteria and yeast in a manufacturing plant and not extracted from animals. I'd consider them suitable for vegetarians.

If I'm honest, and not trying to be funny, you need to carefully consider what you mean by "suitable for vegetarians" as while you state you are a really strict vegetarian, if you were to determine that the way insulin is made didn't fall into your views, and you stopped taking it, there is no alternative, so the consequences would ultimately be death.

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for reassuring me that my insulin is indeed suitable to my dietary requirements, but thanks much more for telling me something that under no circumstances would I have already thought about. I don't mean to be funny either, T1D and morals are no laughing matter I'm T1D positive!

Martie,

alexmtaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last edited:
Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold

alexmtaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello my wonderful friends! I hope that you are all very well!
My name is Josephine. I am a Type 1 diabetic on a multiple injections basal/bolus scheme.
I use Levemir as my background insulin twice a day and I use Novorapid to cover meals. My ratio is 1:1.

I am new to the forum which was so kindly introduced to me by “Enclave” (thank you Enclave!)

In my effort, recently, to monitor my insulin needs and ratios, I decided to eliminate animal products from certain meals, like breakfast and dinner. I also quit completely milk, yogurts, cheese, eggs, any kind of cream (single, double, mayonnaise). I only allowed 80-90 grams of meat/fish and salads for lunch.

I thought, “let’s try to figure out the ratios without the animal products first, and then I will introduce them gradually and record what happens”.

Here is the interesting part.

After I started this “diet” (so to speak), within about 10 days, I started having hypoglycemic episodes morning, afternoon, evening and during the night… I went from basal test to basal test almost every second day. Eventually, I had to reduce my overall background insulin dosage from 22 units down to 16 units. At the time, I had no idea why I had to reduce my insulin intake so much as I had not made the association between my reduced insulin needs and the lack of animal products/meat.

Currently, my diet consists of 90-120 grams per day, coming from fruits, vegetables and rye bread. I have never experimented with such a diet in the past so, my choices seem very limited at the moment but, I am very keen to experiment now because, I am amazed by how wonderfully my insulin works without any animal products… everything has become so effortless and predictable (if this can be said about Type 1 diabetes…)

Some days ago, I watched the following video.
It has disturbing images between minutes 14:30 to 19:00 so, if you wish, please skip them.
However, there are some interesting points after minute 19:00.

I was in shock!!
I felt that, now that I know, I cannot keep doing this (engaging into speciesism) and still live with myself!

I had no idea about the processes used by the dairy and meat industry. So, veganism became a noble aim that I very much want to achieve! I feel it as a noble and ethical lifestyle because, it makes me feel good about myself, about who I am and how I understand myself in relation to the world around me.

I have a lot to learn about veganism, it is a new world for me so all your posts, threads, ideas and recipies are very very useful to me!

I wish you the most beautiful day ahead!!

Regards
Josephine.

P.S. If anyone can guide me, in how many ways can I cook Tofu without frying it, that would be great!!

The yummiest way to use tofu! I use xylitol instead of maple syrup. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/vegan-chocolate-pots/

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ummm .. I've been away for a few months and it looks like all the Veegs have poofed! Are you still here or is it just me waving my berry smoothy with soya milk

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I’m new

Been T1 for twenty years and have recently had to stop eating mammal and bird meat as well as cow dairy due to becoming allergic to them. So I’m now reluctantly following a mostly plant based diet. I can eat fish and eggs, but eat vegan when I’m away from home for safety reasons.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I’m new

Been T1 for twenty years and have recently had to stop eating mammal and bird meat as well as cow dairy due to becoming allergic to them. So I’m now reluctantly following a mostly plant based diet. I can eat fish and eggs, but eat vegan when I’m away from home for safety reasons.

I'm T2 and had to make changes when I developed hyperuricemia (which causes attacks of gout), and didn't respond well to various medications. In other words, the diet changes I made have been more than many people with the condition find they need to. Like you, I've excluded meat and fish, and beans and pulses are also on the list of foods I avoid, so lots of veggie meals are also out. Thank heavens for eggs! And I'm lucky that milk and cheese are OK for me. But it's hard!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm T2 and had to make changes when I developed hyperuricemia (which causes attacks of gout), and didn't respond well to various medications. In other words, the diet changes I made have been more than many people with the condition find they need to. Like you, I've excluded meat and fish, and beans and pulses are also on the list of foods I avoid, so lots of veggie meals are also out. Thank heavens for eggs! And I'm lucky that milk and cheese are OK for me. But it's hard!

I love eggs, but if I eat too many I becone rather... “egg bound”

Suffolk gal

Hi all - welcome to the forum. Big thanks to @Enclave!

Happy to change/edit/remove any text from the intro description on the forum home page. As the forum goes we can split it into Vege/Vegan, etc, too (if it's wanted!).

Thanks
Hi, I'm almost a newbie on here. I've been living on veg, fruit and cheese for over 60 years. I was therefore shocked to be diagnosed type 2, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I'm now eating less fruit and even more veg. I'm allergic to eggs and quorn. I'm looking forward to getting ideas for different good food here.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm almost a newbie on here. I've been living on veg, fruit and cheese for over 60 years. I was therefore shocked to be diagnosed type 2, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I'm now eating less fruit and even more veg. I'm allergic to eggs and quorn. I'm looking forward to getting ideas for different good food here.

Hi @Suffolk gal Welcome to the forum, I think diagnosis comes as a shock to many people. I am a lifelong veggie, not obese, excellent blood pressure and low cholesterol but still T2 (I believe genetics played n enormous part).

There are some great ideas for meals on the forum, including a list with links https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/

keep scrolling down as there are lots of links

the dietdoctor website also has some great vegetarian low carb and keto recipes. The dietdoctor site also has great visual guide to carb content of vegetables.

Have you access to a meter to test how your body reacts to food and which spike your blood sugar?

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm .. seems like this forum has faded away. Are there still any veggies or vegans out there? I've been veggie since 1982 and vegan for a couple of years. It was an ethical/ religious choice so I am undoubtedly vegan as opposed to someone following a PBD. I also use a vegan diet to help keep my T2D under control.

Anyway would be nice to resurrect this thread and maybe share a few recipes. 3/4 years ago it was quite active

pzw123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Welshman1952
I'm T2 and have been vegetarian for 2 years and ethical vegan for 9 months now.
I used to attempt keto on vegetarian diet, but no way I'll consider that on vegan. Still try to keep the carbs low though. I lost 21lbs when I went vegan, but have plateaued now for 4 months and cannot kick-start the weight loss again. Maybe with shortages around at the moment I'll find the motivation I need.

One of my favourite recipes is creamy tomato soup. I make a batch of this at the weekend and this will last for several days in the fridge.

1 Tbsp Oil (optional or use water to saute)
1 Onion (Chopped)
1 tsp Crushed Garlic
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Dried Basil
2 medium carrots (chopped)
2 stalks celery (chopped)
1 14oz Can Tomatoes
10 large ripe tomatoes (chopped)
1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
1/2 cup Vegetable Stock
1 cup (or packet from Tesco) Fresh Basil
1 can coconut cream
Sea salt and black pepper to taste

Optional for variation, I will sometimes add half a head of brocolli (include stalks that are diced well) and/or a packet of spinach.

Add the olive oil (or water) , onion and garlic to a pot and sauté until softened.
Then add the oregano, dried basil, carrots, celery, canned tomatoes and fresh tomatoes and mix together.
Add in the optional brocolli.
Then add in the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, cover the pot and leave to simmer until the carrots/brocolli stalks are softened. Then add in the fresh basil and optional spinach and allow to wilt for a few minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and coconut cream.
Blend with an immersion blender or blender jug then taste and add salt and pepper as required.

Reactions: Welshman1952

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Welshman1952
I'm T2 and have been vegetarian for 2 years and ethical vegan for 9 months now.
I used to attempt keto on vegetarian diet, but no way I'll consider that on vegan. Still try to keep the carbs low though. I lost 21lbs when I went vegan, but have plateaued now for 4 months and cannot kick-start the weight loss again. Maybe with shortages around at the moment I'll find the motivation I need.

One of my favourite recipes is creamy tomato soup. I make a batch of this at the weekend and this will last for several days in the fridge.

1 Tbsp Oil (optional or use water to saute)
1 Onion (Chopped)
1 tsp Crushed Garlic
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Dried Basil
2 medium carrots (chopped)
2 stalks celery (chopped)
1 14oz Can Tomatoes
10 large ripe tomatoes (chopped)
1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
1/2 cup Vegetable Stock
1 cup (or packet from Tesco) Fresh Basil
1 can coconut cream
Sea salt and black pepper to taste

Optional for variation, I will sometimes add half a head of brocolli (include stalks that are diced well) and/or a packet of spinach.

Add the olive oil (or water) , onion and garlic to a pot and sauté until softened.
Then add the oregano, dried basil, carrots, celery, canned tomatoes and fresh tomatoes and mix together.
Add in the optional brocolli.
Then add in the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, cover the pot and leave to simmer until the carrots/brocolli stalks are softened. Then add in the fresh basil and optional spinach and allow to wilt for a few minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and coconut cream.
Blend with an immersion blender or blender jug then taste and add salt and pepper as required.
Ooh! I am going to have to have a try of that!! It sounds lovely.

My wife and I are quite big on seitan and one of our favourite recipes is this one.

10 medium mushrooms
1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt and same freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth room temperature
2 tablespoons soy sauce,
2 cloves garlic peeled
1 tablespoon tahini

Wash and dry the mushrooms. Place them in a food processor fitted with the chopping blade and pulse until they are finely chopped. Set aside.

Combine in a mixing bowl: gluten, oats or quinoa flakes, nutritional yeast, thyme, sage, onion powder, smoked salt, and a generous grating of black pepper. Mix well to distribute all ingredients evenly.

Place the broth, soy sauce, garlic, and nut butter in blender and blend until smooth.

Add the contents of the blender and the mushrooms to the dry mix and stir until combined. Once it becomes hard to stir, use your hands to knead the ingredients together, making sure that all the dry mix is moistened. Shape into a ball and set aside.

Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut two 20-inch pieces of aluminum foil. Place them on the counter with one overlapping the other horizontally by about half its width. You should have a surface of foil about 20 inches wide by 20 inches deep. Cut a piece of parchment paper about 20 inches long and place it over the aluminum foil with the bottom edges even. Put the uncooked seitan in the middle of the parchment, and shape it into a loaf about 9-10 inches long. Fold the short ends over the seitan and then bring the long edge closest to you over and roll it up. Place it on a baking sheet with the edge of the foil down.

Bake for 25 minutes. Turn over carefully and bake for another 25 minutes. Turn again and bake for another 20-30 minutes. Seitan should feel firm and not jiggly. You can test for doneness by cutting into the middle and making sure that it is firm and not dough-like. If necessary, give it more time.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing. Keep leftovers tightly covered to prevent them from drying out.

We loooooove it!!!

Reactions: pzw123

pzw123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh! I am going to have to have a try of that!! It sounds lovely.

My wife and I are quite big on seitan and one of our favourite recipes is this one.

10 medium mushrooms
1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt and same freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth room temperature
2 tablespoons soy sauce,
2 cloves garlic peeled
1 tablespoon tahini

Wash and dry the mushrooms. Place them in a food processor fitted with the chopping blade and pulse until they are finely chopped. Set aside.

Combine in a mixing bowl: gluten, oats or quinoa flakes, nutritional yeast, thyme, sage, onion powder, smoked salt, and a generous grating of black pepper. Mix well to distribute all ingredients evenly.

Place the broth, soy sauce, garlic, and nut butter in blender and blend until smooth.

Add the contents of the blender and the mushrooms to the dry mix and stir until combined. Once it becomes hard to stir, use your hands to knead the ingredients together, making sure that all the dry mix is moistened. Shape into a ball and set aside.

Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut two 20-inch pieces of aluminum foil. Place them on the counter with one overlapping the other horizontally by about half its width. You should have a surface of foil about 20 inches wide by 20 inches deep. Cut a piece of parchment paper about 20 inches long and place it over the aluminum foil with the bottom edges even. Put the uncooked seitan in the middle of the parchment, and shape it into a loaf about 9-10 inches long. Fold the short ends over the seitan and then bring the long edge closest to you over and roll it up. Place it on a baking sheet with the edge of the foil down.

Bake for 25 minutes. Turn over carefully and bake for another 25 minutes. Turn again and bake for another 20-30 minutes. Seitan should feel firm and not jiggly. You can test for doneness by cutting into the middle and making sure that it is firm and not dough-like. If necessary, give it more time.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing. Keep leftovers tightly covered to prevent them from drying out.

We loooooove it!!!

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow :)

Reactions: Welshman1952

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm vegetarian but one with a real liking for tofu, soya milk, tempeh, etc. I'm not a great fan of cheese - there are only a few I really like, and some of those are the seriously expensive ones!

My latest experiment has been with a tin of banana blossom, and despite the price, I think I'll be buying it again. I'm no user of recipes - I go with whatever I've bought and is in the fridge / food cupboard, but my working years did include several in a vegetarian restaurant kitchen. I mostly make salads or stir-fry and saute - and the banana blossom's gone into a saute mixture with onion, celery, red pepper and fresh coriander (lots), with just enough water to stop it sticking while it cooked long enough for the celery to really soften up. Served with broad beans (a favourite) - delicious!

Reactions: pzw123

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @JenniferW ... I confess I've never tried banana blossom but it does sound very exotic. At home we tend to stick to a lot of staples (beans & pulses). We do make our own tofu as it is markedly better than anything shop bought. Stir fried are always good but over the past few months we have focussed more on middle eastern cuisine. I love it but I have to adapt some recipes as my wife thinks aubergines are like whale meat. . Given she had never eaten whale I am at a loss. Lol

The vegan boom has been good in most areas for eating out but Covid-19 has brought that to a temporary end. On the positive, maybe it will make people try more home cooking.

Reactions: JenniferW