JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I believe you can still get stuff on Amazon though I have noted that many items on their food pantry pages are becoming unavailable.

JRT

Hiya,some supermarkets home delivery sites are asking vulnerable customers to contact them and inform them so slots can be allocated.

Reactions: Struma

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
You completely lost the point by not reading the thread and in the context of the person to whom I was replying. That's exactly what I was saying :rolleyes:
Sorry Mike my bad. I am overreacting a lot this week it seems... to some!

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya,some supermarkets home delivery sites are asking vulnerable customers to contact them and inform them so slots can be allocated.

JRT, that's what happened to me (type 1). I'd used Sainsburys Online before but for a few weeks I've tried unsuccessfully to book a delivery. I live alone now and worry a bit that I am going to be unable to get out and buy food over the next three months. I got an email a few days ago from them saying they were going to introduce additional slots for older and vulnerable people. I let them know I wasn't yet 70yo but was insulin dependent. I got another email from them saying from Monday more slots will be available in this area.

Signed into my account with them late Sunday night and could hardly believe, for tomorrow (Monday) there were around 9 slots available when yesterday there was nothing for the next 4 weeks. I'm thinking they were perhaps showing to me as I'd registered as vulnerable and others may not see them? Done and dusted, online purchase made and it is all coming Monday night. Well done them! Bill

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All the supermarkets are recruiting madly, to get the food onto the shelves, and delivered to our doors.

I know this situation is terribly stressful, but things like the delivery slots and empty shelves may improve shortly.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm following the advice to distance myself so just get what I need from the shops keeping my distance as advised and only touching what I'm buying.

I'm making more trips than I'd perhaps like to but I don't want to overreact so am following the government advice closely.

M

Member496333

I'm largely on the fence. For myself I'm not really worried at all, but I respect that others are concerned and I'm certainly not going to unnecessarily risk their health with my reckless actions. But I'm also not going to lock myself away in an underground bunker. Not while it's still a free country, anyway.

But all that aside, yes If I'm being honest, my biggest personal concern amidst all of this the threat to my ability to obtain real food instead of just what's left of all the artificial stuff :oops:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All the supermarkets are recruiting madly, to get the food onto the shelves, and delivered to our doors.

I know this situation is terribly stressful, but things like the delivery slots and empty shelves may improve shortly.

Hi,

i once to worked in food retail.. (Coop group.) I can drive, I'm familiar with stock control, & can handle a till.

What I've noticed seems to be the managment has been caught on a "back foot."
Staff appear to be focusing on the usual "POS" (points of sale.) during the week. Carding the shelf with offers on empty shelving? Mindless auto pilot..

I feel product placement & "temptation isle" tactics should go. With a more rationing & a "cash & carry" set up regarding the "shopping experince."

Online shopping & home deliveries. Not every one of the pensionable aged is IT savvy.
Operations in this field? Driver's duty should be set up to help the vulnerable with a "hot line" set up souly for that purpose direct actioning a food parcel to the house bound..

The "big four" must be clapping their hands at the sales figures from the last couple of weeks.

Untill they pull their finger out & become more proactive? I'm not happy to rejoin that "work force" sector, untill I see a more of "Dunkirk spirit" from Mr Sainbury... (Whilst other businesses go down the pan.)

This is no time to be profiteering from "supermarket sweep."

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Morrison's are opening from 7 AM to 8 AM just for NHS staff then for normal customers from 8 AM on if it works then that at least will help somewhat.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morrison's are opening from 7 AM to 8 AM just for NHS staff then for normal customers from 8 AM on if it works then that at least will help somewhat.

Thinking further..

With the nightclubs closed, there must be SIA trained door supervisors who can also assist with security during shop trading hours to help key workers & the active vulnerable venturing out for supplies.

You could possibly post one on every isle..?

Reactions: ringi

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am expecting a large increase in "click and collect" provision within days. This then makes it much easy to get a friend to collect shopping. Dilvery slots are harder to increase as it needs temperature controlled vans.

Remember few people with diabetes (unless kidney transplant) are in the high risk group, nearly all of us are in the middle risk group.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an email from Sainsbury's to say I was in their priority group for delivery slots because of my age. They said to go on line today to pick a slot. I did, every slot was available for tomorrow but none any later. I intended to order at least a week in advance as some of the items I want are perishable and I don't need them yet. Hopefully the same system will be available next Monday.
Has anyone else had the same experience or is this just my local branch of Sainsbury's?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
They certainly need to do something about the shops. Mr C was in a shop this morning queuing for the till and everyone was nicely observing distancing when a man pushed in the queue to be next at the till. The woman he pushed in front of pointed out that there was a queue and he said he didn't have the time to queue - when she called over and told the cashier what he'd done he then, unbelievably, coughed in her face, dumped his shopping on the floor and walked out. What an idiot!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thinking further..

With the nightclubs closed, there must be SIA trained door supervisors who can also assist with security during shop trading hours to help key workers & the active vulnerable venturing out for supplies.

You could possibly post one on every isle..?
They did say that security would be checking NHS ID at the door.

Reactions: Jaylee

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It has been said that people who have to isolate for the 12 weeks would be assisted in getting provisions by the army.

JRT

JRT, that's what happened to me (type 1). I'd used Sainsburys Online before but for a few weeks I've tried unsuccessfully to book a delivery. I live alone now and worry a bit that I am going to be unable to get out and buy food over the next three months. I got an email a few days ago from them saying they were going to introduce additional slots for older and vulnerable people. I let them know I wasn't yet 70yo but was insulin dependent. I got another email from them saying from Monday more slots will be available in this area.

Signed into my account with them late Sunday night and could hardly believe, for tomorrow (Monday) there were around 9 slots available when yesterday there was nothing for the next 4 weeks. I'm thinking they were perhaps showing to me as I'd registered as vulnerable and others may not see them? Done and dusted, online purchase made and it is all coming Monday night. Well done them! Bill
I'm so pleased it worked out for you. I logged on to web site earlier today to inform them in vulnerable group and website link on overload. I also saw people on twitter saying phone lines either engaged or hanging on for 40 minutes and cut off. I live on my own and dont drive so always use online shopping. That said I'm very lucky in that I dont need anything for a while plus I have people who will help. I would hate to take a slot from someone who isn't as lucky. Take care.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

i once to worked in food retail.. (Coop group.) I can drive, I'm familiar with stock control, & can handle a till.

What I've noticed seems to be the managment has been caught on a "back foot."
Staff appear to be focusing on the usual "POS" (points of sale.) during the week. Carding the shelf with offers on empty shelving? Mindless auto pilot..

I feel product placement & "temptation isle" tactics should go. With a more rationing & a "cash & carry" set up regarding the "shopping experince."

Online shopping & home deliveries. Not every one of the pensionable aged is IT savvy.
Operations in this field? Driver's duty should be set up to help the vulnerable with a "hot line" set up souly for that purpose direct actioning a food parcel to the house bound..

The "big four" must be clapping their hands at the sales figures from the last couple of weeks.

Untill they pull their finger out & become more proactive? I'm not happy to rejoin that "work force" sector, untill I see a more of "Dunkirk spirit" from Mr Sainbury... (Whilst other businesses go down the pan.)

This is no time to be profiteering from "supermarket sweep."

As I understand it, Jay, Tesco has cancelled all offers, including multibuys. Whilst I think that makes their "3 of anything" limits easier, one might have been waiting for their 25% off 6 or more wine offer that usually occurs around Bank Holidays.

Not that I've tracked these things at all. :angelic:

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I understand it, Jay, Tesco has cancelled all offers, including multibuys. Whilst I think that makes their "3 of anything" limits easier, one might have been waiting for their 25% off 6 or more wine offer that usually occurs around Bank Holidays.

Not that I've tracked these things at all. :angelic:

It certainly would make life easier for staff in this difficult, challenging time for all..
"The customer is always right." Needs to take a step back a few meters. ;):)

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm so pleased it worked out for you. I logged on to web site earlier today to inform them in vulnerable group and website link on overload. I also saw people on twitter saying phone lines either engaged or hanging on for 40 minutes and cut off. I live on my own and dont drive so always use online shopping. That said I'm very lucky in that I dont need anything for a while plus I have people who will help. I would hate to take a slot from someone who isn't as lucky. Take care.

Thank you very much, JRT. They delivered yesterday but due to stocking shortages some of the food I ordered wasn't available. Luckily though, everything they replaced was with something I could easily eat. The helpful man who brought it asked me to carefully check the replacements and if they didn't suit he'd take them back and I'd be refunded. Much impressed with this new scheme they are operating for those who are elderly and/or vulnerable.

If it is any help to you trying to get through to them, they told me the Sainsburys dedicated vulnerable customer line is 0800 052 5500. It might be worth speaking with them to get you on their list.

Bill

Reactions: JRT and kev-w

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Tried Asda,Iceland and Morrison's today no slots for delivery available Asda no click and collect slots either.

I'm not too worried we after all have plenty of leather shoes in the hall we can boil for sustenance.

And have noticed the odd unwary pigeon landing on the scaffolding outside our bedroom window.