Is Everyone Managing to Eat usual foods?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Popped out for some essentials this afternoon.

A shop assistant in our local Spar told me that they don't have enough drivers and trucks to keep up with demand, so I think that perhaps the supply chains are not as robust as many would hope, even if there is food at wholesalers.

If drivers start getting sick then we've got even bigger problems on the way.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A tornado narrowly missed my neighborhood (well, debris hit the front of it), and power was off for five days in early March. So, I had to totally restock the fridge and freezer. I must have been hungry when I did during several trips to the store. Got all stocked up about 1 week before the panic buying began. In retrospect, my fridge restocking would have looked like panic buying. Also, my local Whole Foods (An Amazon company, so free to Prime members that buy enough to get the coveted “invitation”), is still delivering. There were several items unavailable for my order, but I made some redundant choices to cover my bases, I can freeze the extra.

So, yes, I’m still eating my normal diet at this time.

I'm glad Whole Foods is still delivering. They sent me an email so I must check with my local WF but it's nice to know they're still open.
Your cats are lovely BTW. :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Our local Iceland's is not opening tomorrow they have been wiped out nothing on the shelves nothing in their storage whatsoever.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our local Iceland's is not opening tomorrow they have been wiped out nothing on the shelves nothing in their storage whatsoever.

Very scary. Presumably they don't get deliveries on Sunday.
Hopefully come Monday morning they will be open and restocking their shelves.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just tried booking a delivery from Tesco, no slots available in the next three weeks! Sainsbury are not taking on any new registrations. Seems like I will have to go in person to the local supermarket, so much for isolation as one of the “vulnerable group “. Any suggestions?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just tried booking a delivery from Tesco, no slots available in the next three weeks! Sainsbury are not taking on any new registrations. Seems like I will have to go in person to the local supermarket, so much for isolation as one of the “vulnerable group “. Any suggestions?

I suggest you check with the local supermarkets to find one that is offering times when the elderly or those at risk can shop while everyone else is excluded.

Alternatively place an interim order with another company. Many places offer food purchases over the internet. Amazon is a big one, although their delivery times are (quite understandably!) longer than usual. Your local butcher may be running a delivery service. There are companies offering veg box delivery.

Also, have you checked to see if they have any ‘click and collect’ slots? Sometimes they aren’t as booked up as the deliveries.

Reactions: urbanracer

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My local butcher does home deliveries, we usually go in person, but have registered for home delivery. They don’t do veg etc so we might end up carnivores!!!
The main problem will be non food and household goods.
Must admit I hadn’t thought of Amazon, - have to investigate. Thanks for the suggestions, they have prompted my old brain to think outside the box.

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My local butcher does home deliveries, we usually go in person, but have registered for home delivery. They don’t do veg etc so we might end up carnivores!!!
The main problem will be non food and household goods.
Must admit I hadn’t thought of Amazon, - have to investigate. Thanks for the suggestions, they have prompted my old brain to think outside the box.

i have been trying not to order from Amazon since the situation escalated. I figure they are busy enough, and I hadn’t needed anything important - but then yesterday I placed a largish dog food order. Pretty essential, say the mutts. :D

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad Whole Foods is still delivering. They sent me an email so I must check with my local WF but it's nice to know they're still open.
Your cats are lovely BTW. :)

I received a corporate email tonight from WF that said they consider themselves an essential service, and have every intention of staying open. Lots of extra pay, sick time, etc to workers to do so. At least they are trying.

The cats are brothers, and litter mates. After a beautiful tuxedo, like yours, passed after 18 years I put about that I wanted a bonded pair. I ended up with these 2 nutters...who I love dearly.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I received a corporate email tonight from WF that said they consider themselves an essential service, and have every intention of staying open. Lots of extra pay, sick time, etc to workers to do so. At least they are trying.

The cats are brothers, and litter mates. After a beautiful tuxedo, like yours, passed after 18 years I put about that I wanted a bonded pair. I ended up with these 2 nutters...who I love dearly.

Thank you. ^. .^

M

Member496333

I have a feeling panic buying may not abate till authorities take steps to control it.

The irony amid all this hoarding is that, where I live at least, supermarkets have become ground zero for contracting the virus. Thousands of people clambering over each other to buy-up everything in sight. Just so they can go home to their war bunker in the back garden with a hundred rolls of toilet paper and the disease they just caught :shifty:

Reactions: copilost

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any suggestions?
Have you thought of contacting freegle? I received this from them:

COVID-19 - Can you help? Do you need help?
Over the next couple of months, quite a lot of people may be ill and need help with practical things like shopping and medicines. Maybe not yet, but maybe soon.

Maybe you can help. Maybe you (or someone you know) will need help. Let’s see if we can connect people so that we’re ready.

If you can help, or you think you might need help, please let us know here:

https://www.ilovefreegle.org/covid

We're trying to connect people who need help with other people nearby who can provide it.

We don’t know how many responses we get. Maybe we’ll just get a few - if so then we’ll leave it in the (washed) hands of other people. Maybe we’ll get loads, and we’ll need to work out how to put people in touch safely - that would be a good problem to have. We won’t pass on your details before getting back in touch with you.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
The irony amid all this hoarding is that, where I live at least, supermarkets have become ground zero for contracting the virus. Thousands of people clambering over each other to buy-up everything in sight. Just so they can go home to their war bunker in the back garden with a hundred rolls of toilet paper and the disease they just caught :shifty:

We went out for fresh milk yesterday and whilst I thought the main area of the supermarket was not too bad, when we got to the checkouts, half of them were closed. The ones that were open were all adjacent to each other, thus forcing people to queue shoulder to shoulder.

This 1 to 2 meters 'thing' is like rocket science to some people.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We went out for fresh milk yesterday and whilst I thought the main area of the supermarket was not too bad, when we got to the checkouts, half of them were closed. The ones that were open were all adjacent to each other, thus forcing people to queue shoulder to shoulder.

This 1 to 2 meters 'thing' is like rocket science to some people.

In this house, Friday is often chippy night. There's no way I can do anything with batter (except on gluten free nights, if I wanted it), but I might steal some of my OH's chips.

Whilst the queue was all very respectful, and at distance, one young lady, with child in tow, declared to the definitely pension age gentleman behind her that he didn't need to keep distance from her, because she was OK.

Needless to say, she got some very robust feedback from someone further up the queue who declared himself a surgeon (he is). He informed her she was misguided and suggested the gentleman step back and she read some decent information when she'd finished her chips.

Ooooer, vicar.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Flexibillity is the key, my wholemeal loaf tail end needs warming to freshen the bread :p (mum had no qualms scraping mould off white bread and toasting it as a kid but she'd lived thru ww11 :p) so I had eggs benedict for brekkers as I had fresh white muffins, works out if I forgo the jug of porridge oats the carbs work out quite well, a bit fattening and I don't often eat bacon but you can have a cheat day once in a while I guess :p

Can I just say that Morrisons wholemeal > Tesco Henderson's wholemeal by far :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I actually had a proper meal today for lunch, one that would have been a good meal before T2 diagnosis. Roast beef with gravy, mashed potatoes, green peas. The beef and peas came from cans, the potatoes, dried, came from a box. I am not buying any fresh foods these days; I want food that hasn't been handled or breathed on or sneezed on by other customers; food that was hopefully processed before the coronavirus hit. The only "fresh" foods I am eating these days are yogurt and cheese.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually had a proper meal today for lunch, one that would have been a good meal before T2 diagnosis. Roast beef with gravy, mashed potatoes, green peas. The beef and peas came from cans, the potatoes, dried, came from a box. I am not buying any fresh foods these days; I want food that hasn't been handled or breathed on or sneezed on by other customers; food that was hopefully processed before the coronavirus hit. The only "fresh" foods I am eating these days are yogurt and cheese.
So your answer is “no I am not eating my usual food”. What did the potatoes do to your bgl?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just read about pleas for scientists for rationing.

In principle I agree with this rather than they way shops are doing it now. 2 tins per shopper is very different for a slight pensioner v a family of 5 with 3 teenagers. My mum (live alone) would have 2-4 meals from that. It would feed 2 of my kids leaving one starving along with me and his father. Only answer right now is repeated visits repeating exposure.

However the plea is for it to be based on eatwell:arghh:

https://apple.news/AA9-v49GeQrmbPQg2J6HV1A

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But if they're sensible, they get 30 crates full of the things delivered to their door - according to something I read yesterday an Ocado driver made such a delivery, but It may well be a case of (dare I say...) Chinese whispers and a potential urban myth... but the mind boggles - if you'll pardon the pun! o_O

And back to topic - I'm still eating normally, but after next food delivery on Wednesday will see how it goes.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I had a delivery from Asda on Saturday no toilet rolls were available.