Is Everyone Managing to Eat usual foods?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely very civilised visit to M&S today, staff outside giving you a wiped down trolley, one out one in, social distancing well observed, shelves not full but still plenty to choose from. No eggs, no loo roll, no pork scratchings!!! Lol but I got my first fresh meat and veg for over a week. Items limited to 2 per person and that’s as it should be. Sneeze screens at the tills though I went through self service. Very grateful to all supermarket staff putting themselves in the front line. Looking forward to me tea tonight for the first time in over a week lol

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our local bakery has apparently found local sources for eggs and a selection of fruit and veggies which can be ordered via their website and delivered together with their bread.

hdragon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i am struggling to keep any of my regular diet going . as a type 1 with eart problems we are both self isolated and keeping safe . a friend managed to grab me some milk and bread but this is not my usual sort and having gastroparisis as well it's only going to get worse. sugar levels all over the place normally but now well i give up . i am having bad dizzy spells as calorific reductions are here or sugar highs impacting badly. i used to rely on regular amounts of fresh veg and fruit which is so badly in short supply special rolls helped keep my a little balanced but i cant get challa rolls now either. having to make do is ok but will do so much damage. no-one seems to care . i've had a basket sitting on-line shopping with sainsburys for nearly two weeks but they say i am not in the "vulnerable" group WHO IS SAYING THESE THINGS how will they know i've signed up with the government site but that does nothing to help us get my shopping . what the hell are we supposed to do .???? the superstores claim that they will release slots when and if the government site says we are worth it as vulnerable people whoopee i can see that happening NOT..i feel so let down be incompetent bureaucrat's no wonder people don't want to obey the rules and share or recat responsibly. sorry i'm venting , frustrated, and hungry for my poor small amount of fresh or even frozen bits.

Richie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People
Giving the big supermarkets a miss. Local butchers crammed with meat, esp chicken breast. Load of eggs too. High street was quiet apart from the queue for the pharmacy. I'd also recommend Holland & Barrett for alternatives, might be a bit pricier, tho worth it IMHO. Also, try TRIBE energy/protein bars. Great quality and taste - go to their website.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually get a carry out for a Saturday tea as around the corner there's both an Indian and a Chinese take away, the latter's closed but the Indian is still open so instead of going to the shop for essential I had the standard tea :)

Happy about that.

KimmieRidge

BANNED
Lovely very civilised visit to M&S today, staff outside giving you a wiped down trolley, one out one in, social distancing well observed, shelves not full but still plenty to choose from. No eggs, no loo roll, no pork scratchings!!! Lol but I got my first fresh meat and veg for over a week. Items limited to 2 per person and that’s as it should be. Sneeze screens at the tills though I went through self service. Very grateful to all supermarket staff putting themselves in the front line. Looking forward to me tea tonight for the first time in over a week lol
I was able to buy several jars of pickled eggs. Nobody wants them.

Reactions: SueJB

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Husband didn't get his eggs and bread with his last order - next door neighbour got him a loaf, I've ordered him more bread & eggs and he's going to order some more from the bakery. Ocado had enough of both to feed a small army.

I'm waiting to see what I get with my order from Ocado on Tuesday, but only vital things that seemed not be available were Kerrygold and small pots of Total 5% yogurt. But they're giving me a nervous breakdown as they seem to delight in waiting until I've almost through checking out my order then throwing me back onto their queue page again...:banghead: My current vocabulary is now totally unsuitable for ancient old ladies - it's a good job our Mods can't hear me!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I usually get a carry out for a Saturday tea as around the corner there's both an Indian and a Chinese take away, the latter's closed but the Indian is still open so instead of going to the shop for essential I had the standard tea :)

Happy about that.
I have a Chinese take away two pizza kebab take aways and a chip shop on my street all staying open so we had a take away delivered the other day from a takeaway 100 yards from our front door. :)

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have a Chinese take away two pizza kebab take aways and a chip shop on my street all staying open so we had a take away delivered the other day from a takeaway 100 yards from our front door. :)
@JohnEGreen What, they left it 100 yards from your door. I thought it was 2 metres ;);). Hope you enjoyed it. I'm running out of beer. That's my guilty pleasure in this lockdown. But it's classed as non-essential.:(

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@JohnEGreen What, they left it 100 yards from your door. I thought it was 2 metres ;);). Hope you enjoyed it. I'm running out of beer. That's my guilty pleasure in this lockdown. But it's classed as non-essential.:(
I think you may have to start brewing your own before this is all over.
And no the the takeaway shop is 100 yards from my front door the delivery guy just walked down with it.:)

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Hotpepper20000

Our province hasn’t been officially shut down yet but all the restaurants are delivering or curb side pick only.
Interestingly in the provinces that have been shut down the liquor and Cannabis stores have been deemed a essential service.
Toilet paper flour and meat can be difficult to find in the large stores but in the smaller stores have enough even if the variety is limited.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eating less frequently than usual, and smaller portions.
Have to stay at home, ‘shielding’, but have been fortunate to have a local Deli, /farm shop/ butcher / restaurant, with staff thinking laterally. Restaurant having to close but with food stocks had chef make and freeze meals. Store wants to keep business going, so have been offering ‘essentials’ packs and free delivery if you spend £50. Got meat, eggs, butter, milk cheese delivered over a week ago, that will feed us well enough for a few weeks. No choice, so bit of pot luck sort of dinners, and improvisation. Luckily I have always got dried herbs and spices in, so makes for variety.
No morsel of food will be thrown out. Veg if not cooked with peal on , will have peel put in stock, along with any bones.

The main point I should be making is that there are small businesses, restaurants etc with food stocks that could be trying to diversify, and are wanting to make their food available. Suggest seeking out online what is local.

Reactions: VashtiB and Robbity

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I think you may have to start brewing your own before this is all over.
And no the the takeaway shop is 100 yards from my front door the delivery guy just walked down with it.:)
It's a shame the pubs couldn't deliver say 4 pint containers of draught ale and use up stock that will probably go to waste. I'd buy some.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
.... there are small businesses, restaurants etc with food stocks that could be trying to diversify, and are wanting to make their food available. Suggest seeking out online what is local.
Our local pub is doing collect or deliver takeaways - burgers, sausages, or fish, all with chip, and an optional bowl fresh fruit salad, and also offering takeaway draught beer if you provide your own container! :wideyed:

Reactions: type two paul

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interestingly in the provinces that have been shut down the liquor and Cannabis stores have been deemed a essential service.

Am I allowed a little giggle at the pot shops remaining open?

They've shut the ones in Holland :p

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: type two paul

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
On a foodie group I read, a number of people were discussing these mini kegs. Of course, you need a dispenser to go along with it, unless you're going to drink it all in one go but....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2L-64OZ-...183862?hash=item1a9291e236:g:QCAAAOSw2oheU3SS

(Other capacities are available)
I do wonder how alcohol dependents (alcoholics still drinking) are actually coping if unable to obtain drink. Withdrawing from alcohol can be very dangerous, just like any other drug.