High Risk Coronavirus

Baldymanbryh

Hello I know diabetics are high risk , however I cannot see us in Gov.uk section regarding priority help needing delivery from supermarkets .
Can anybody advise please ? I have not received a letter either .
Many thanks.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello I know diabetics are high risk , however I cannot see us in Gov.uk section regarding priority help needing delivery from supermarkets .
Many thanks.
I'm afraid we are not in the priority list and do not get the letters or any help (well not unless another condition qualifies you)

Adeace

Hope I am in the right Area I am type 2 regulating with metformin ? do we know why all diabetics are classed as high risk etc. ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here you go:

This is a direct link to where the www.gov.uk website explains the difference between the various levels of risk
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...rable-adults#background-and-scope-of-guidance

There seem to be 3 levels
- normal
- high risk (people with diabetes are on that list and are encouraged to be 'particularly stringent with social distancing' but can continue to work and shop for necessities)
- extremely high risk needing to practice isolation and what is now called 'Shielding' which is basically live in isolation for 3 months and ask others to bring in food and necessities. These are people who are (for example) on chemotherapy or severe asthma or cystic fibrosis.

Reactions: Adeace

Jp56

Many thanks.
If you don't get any notification by the 29th March fone gp

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
They’ve just said on the No 10 briefing that people in the “increased risk” group (ie diabetes) have the same rules applied as the general population - work from home if you can etc.

Dj29067

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im really struggling with anxiety at the moment and my sugars are really high. Can stress and anxiety increase your sugars ? Thank you

zanc

Not very encouraging
https://www.businessinsider.com/cor...ns-heart-disease-cancer-2020-2?op=1&r=US&IR=T
upload_2020-3-26_21-38-40.jpeg

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I live in Scotland and the nhsinform.scot site is slightly different. I was signed off work for 12 wks under:

Increased risk of severe illness

People who are at an increased risk of severe illnesses coronavirus covid-19 should strictly follow social distancing measures.

This group includes people who are:

Under 70 with an underlying health condition, including anyone given the flu vaccination each year on medical grounds

Underlying health conditions include:
Diabetes

There are more grounds on the site. Luckily this was enough for my work to sign me off with no arguments.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If you don't get any notification by the 29th March fone gp
It would seem the post office his having a really bad time of it and some letters may have been delayed.
I have diabetes, myasthenia gravis, asthma, ckd and I take prednisolone on a daily basis so far though I had a text from the NHS I have received no letter not withstanding this I shall be taking the most stringent measures letter or no letter it is for us all to assess our own condition and act accordingly.

@Baldymanbryh I think many of us are going to have to rely on ourselves or try to access local help groups which seem to be popping up all over the place.

Good luck stay safe

D

Deleted member 308541

I had a text from the NHS I have received no letter
The Australian federal government just sent out a text message here, this is what I received.

Coronavirus Aus Gov msg:

To stop the spread, stay 1.5m from others, follow rules on social gatherings, wash hands, stay home if sick.

aus.gov.au

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
It would seem the post office his having a really bad time of it and some letters may have been delayed.
I have diabetes, myasthenia gravis, asthma, ckd and I take prednisolone on a daily basis so far though I had a text from the NHS I have received no letter not withstanding this I shall be taking the most stringent measures letter or no letter it is for us all to assess our own condition and act accordingly.

@Baldymanbryh I think many of us are going to have to rely on ourselves or try to access local help groups which seem to be popping up all over the place.

Good luck stay safe
We must all stay optimistic. It is down to each of us to help ourselves and our families... and of course ALL of us by avoiding all unnecessary contact. The letter is just a box ticking exercise it changes nothing for any of us in any real sense of how at risk we are of actually catching it! Old, young, fit and active, lazy, fat, thin, healthy, or suffering from any underlying health conditions we are all in the same boat (hopefully not the hypothetical one I mentioned in another post ;).

uptome

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many thanks.

I think it's a matter of 'masking up' and placing a scarf over your mouth and going out to do what you have to. If the government are not directly telling you with a letter, then I guess you have to get what you need to survive. I have family who need care and I'm having to travel back and forth. Other family are also involved in the care along with NHS staff doctors. If I was told in a letter to stay put, then a care package would be organised, but I'm at a loss as to what difference it makes whether Covid is potentially carried into the house with proper carers or NHS doctors and nurses? Either way, a letter would possibly reduce my own risk with T2.

Reactions: TinksMum

Mrs Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I registered, but didn't get a letter. I have a number of health complaints that are considered High Risk. My surgery has told me to self isolate for 12 weeks although I do not have any symptoms.

My husband is also diabetic and is also self isolating. I understand not getting the letter where it would entitle me to delivery slots for shopping, as I want that to go to people that are critical. I would just like to be able to do my shopping at the supermarket (safely of course) when it's elderly and vulnerable people hour. How do I get on to that? does anyone know?

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That slot is now mainly for elderly since the vulnerable people have been told to self isolate diabetics not included.

Just go shopping and practice social distancing, unless you are on the letter list or over 70 were all effectively in the same group now. The supermarkets are pretty well set up to keep people apart, I haven't had any issues shopping at all

Reactions: Mrs Badger

Mrs Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That slot is now mainly for elderly since the vulnerable people have been told to self isolate diabetics not included.

Just go shopping and practice social distancing, unless you are on the letter list or over 70 were all effectively in the same group now. The supermarkets are pretty well set up to keep people apart, I haven't had any issues shopping at all

I think you are probably right. I do wonder who will be the first person to try and sue the government if a person dies due to COVID-19 and not getting a letter. This could get interesting!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are probably right. I do wonder who will be the first person to try and sue the government if a person dies due to COVID-19 and not getting a letter. This could get interesting!

The instructions on the www.gov.uk website have always been pretty clear - if you think you should have received a letter (about being extremely vulnerable) but no letter arrived by the 29th March, then contact your healthcare provider (presumably clinic or doc's surgery) and discuss it with them.

That covers them nicely from threats of litigation, and shows that no one should be sitting waiting indefinitely without querying their situation. No system is 100% perfect, so those who are falling through the inevitable cracks need to make sure that they actively flag themselves up, as necessary.

Reactions: Mrs Badger