Type 2 Sweeten my coffee

Fabian_Pruitt

Hi
First post
I've had Diabetes for the last 30yrs but only been bothered with it for the last five. Probably because I'm getting older (74) and it started to show its true colours. I'm pretty strict with my diet and carefully make out my shopping list accordingly and stick to it religiously when I'm in Tescos, trying not to go down the sweets aisle if I can help it.

But I do like a pot of tea or a large cup of coffee sometime during the day. Just one cup does the trick. But I can't drink it without a couple of sweeteners. There lies my main problem. I can't drink either beverage without a sweetener in it. Believe me, I've tried on numerous occasions to drink it without but I can't bear the taste.

So my question is this. Can I use Honey as a sweetener as I've heard so many people say its a better way to sweeten tea? I'm asking as I don't want to be unconscious a few hours later because my Diabetes reacts badly.

I'm sure someone here has tried it.

So please let me know what you think.

Sorry for the drawn-out post but it's not often I get to talk to others about Diabetes. Should have joined years ago.

Michael
(Fabian_Pruitt)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Honey is sugar - so definitely a bad idea.
If you are, for some reason anxious about having artificial sweetener, try using a powdered one and gradually reducing the amount you put in each cup. I use cream in my coffee and find that I do not need to sweeten it at all.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
First post
I've had Diabetes for the last 30yrs but only been bothered with it for the last five. Probably because I'm getting older (74) and it started to show its true colours. I'm pretty strict with my diet and carefully make out my shopping list accordingly and stick to it religiously when I'm in Tescos, trying not to go down the sweets aisle if I can help it.

But I do like a pot of tea or a large cup of coffee sometime during the day. Just one cup does the trick. But I can't drink it without a couple of sweeteners. There lies my main problem. I can't drink either beverage without a sweetener in it. Believe me, I've tried on numerous occasions to drink it without but I can't bear the taste.

So my question is this. Can I use Honey as a sweetener as I've heard so many people say its a better way to sweeten tea? I'm asking as I don't want to be unconscious a few hours later because my Diabetes reacts badly.

Sorry for the drawn-out post but it's not often I get to talk to others about Diabetes. Should have joined years ago.

Michael
(Fabian_Pruitt)
Well, what kind of sweetener would be okay with you? The artificial ones tend to be rather destructive to gut bacteria... I dislike the taste of stevia in a hot drink, same with erythritol, but there are mixes of the two which are surprisingly good. Expensive, but you wouldn't need much, as they're very strong. I'd steer clear of honey, it's an excellent hypo treatment though, if you need to get blood sugars up fast. ;)

Good luck,
Jo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
First post

Michael
(Fabian_Pruitt)
I guess my first question would be T1 or T2?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I use stevia in cocoa, the only hot drink I sweeten. I found I only need a little bit, not one for one.
I gave up sugar in tea years before, first by slowly cutting down, a little less each week. Then I was on hospital yet again and no matter how many times I asked for 1/4 teasp of sugar they dumped too much in. By that time I'd been down to a 1/4 for months but couldn't give up the last bit. But horribly over-sweetened tea tasted worse than none, so by the time I got out I never took sugar again.

Reactions: Eylise

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also I’d ask what sort of diet are you careful with? It’s a lot more than just the sweetie aisle you need to avoid/limit if type 2. Bread, rice, pasta, cereals, porridge, flour, potatoes, fruits other than berries all fall in this group. All the starch in these become glucose in your body the same way sugar does. See the links at the bottom of my signature for more details.

Which sweetener do you currently use? Honey is a bad idea. It’s just sugar as are many of the so called healthy options.

There’s a lot of difference between the effects on diabetes between them. Typically those with less effect are stevia, erythritol, xylitol and monkfruit - all classed as non artificial. All sold under various brand names so check the ingredients list. Each has its own particular “taste” you may or may not like. There are some combination ones too that seek to minimise aftertaste.

Avoid any powdered or tablet ones with maltodextrin or dextrose in them. Splenda for example does liquid drops that are safer than other forms (if you’re ok with artificial ones) as they are not bulked out with dodgy ingredients.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This is really difficult, as your sentence "....it started to show it's true colours" seems to suggest diabetes is extracting a toll on your health.

It is hard, but only you can the choice. At this time the decision is one of the head and sweet adjusted taste buds, but what would your other bodily organs say if they could speak.

My next door neighbour, a long term diabetic, within the last week has been admitted to hospital with kidney failure. Over the last 2 years I have seen her with a boot on her leg as a complication of Type 2. At street gatherings she would have lilt, cakes and the like, sugar isn't worth it in my view.

M

Member496333

Setting aside any incidental nutrients, honey is basically glucose and fructose, so pretty much table sugar (sucrose). In fact it generally contains more fructose than glucose which, if you're type 2 or even just a little insulin resistant, makes it worse than table sugar, which is 50/50.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I use granulated sweetener such as Canderel or stevia sometimes xylitol I don't use natural sugars such as honey some people don't use sweeteners because of the taste or because they don't trust them.

It's a decision you have to make on available data and how many carbs you allow yourself in a day me I prefer sweeteners to sugar as they don't effect my blood sugars.

Fabian_Pruitt

Honey is sugar - so definitely a bad idea.
If you are, for some reason anxious about having artificial sweetener, try using a powdered one and gradually reducing the amount you put in each cup. I use cream in my coffee and find that I do not need to sweeten it at all.
Hi
Thanks for replying.

Yes, I thought that might be the case as I've always associated honey with sugar. looking at the question now seem's stupid to have asked it in the first place. But I will try the powdered type of sweetener and try reducing it bit by bit. Having cream in coffee is another one I'll try. When I can get into Tesco's to buy some.

Cheers.

Fabian_Pruitt

I use a granulated sweetener such as Canderel or stevia sometimes xylitol I don't use natural sugars such as honey some people don't use sweeteners because of the taste or because they don't trust them.

It's a decision you have to make on available data and how many carbs you allow yourself in a day me I prefer sweeteners to sugar as they don't affect my blood sugars.
Hi
I went through all the sweeteners in my local Tesco's and ended up using Sweetex in the end as that one didn't leave a strange taste in the mouth. It's probably just me, hard to please, unfortunately.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Fabian_Pruitt

Setting aside any incidental nutrients, honey is basically glucose and fructose, so pretty much table sugar (sucrose). In fact it generally contains more fructose than glucose which, if your type 2 or even just a little insulin resistant, makes it worse than table sugar, which is 50/50.
Thanks, Jim,
Yes, as I've been told by several other members here Honey is just like sugar. Should have known better.

Michael.

Fabian_Pruitt

This is really difficult, as your sentence "....it started to show it's true colours" seems to suggest diabetes is extracting a toll on your health.

It is hard, but only you can the choice. At this time the decision is one of the head and sweet adjusted taste buds, but what would your other bodily organs say if they could speak.

My next door neighbour, a long term diabetic, within the last week has been admitted to hospital with kidney failure. Over the last 2 years I have seen her with a boot on her leg as a complication of Type 2. At street gatherings she would have lilt, cakes and the like, sugar isn't worth it in my view.
Thanks for the reply.

I've tried drinking both tea and coffee without sugar and believe me its not with the effort to make it in the first place. I'll have to stick to Sweetex for the time being.

Michael.

Fabian_Pruitt

Also I’d ask what sort of diet are you careful with? It’s a lot more than just the sweetie aisle you need to avoid/limit if type 2. Bread, rice, pasta, cereals, porridge, flour, potatoes, fruits other than berries all fall in this group. All the starch in these become glucose in your body the same way sugar does. See the links at the bottom of my signature for more details.

Which sweetener do you currently use? Honey is a bad idea. It’s just sugar as are many of the so called healthy options.

There’s a lot of difference between the effects on diabetes between them. Typically those with less effect are stevia, erythritol, xylitol and monkfruit - all classed as non artificial. All sold under various brand names so check the ingredients list. Each has its own particular “taste” you may or may not like. There are some combination ones too that seek to minimise aftertaste.

Avoid any powdered or tablet ones with maltodextrin or dextrose in them. Splenda for example does liquid drops that are safer than other forms (if you’re ok with artificial ones) as they are not bulked out with dodgy ingredients.
Thanks Tricia

I'm surprised I've lasted so long and I thought I was being safe with the food I consume knowing I read all the labels before buying anything. Have to take my glasses if we ever get back to normal.

Michael.

I took note of the links below your post, thanks.

Fabian_Pruitt

Sorry HSSS
I called you Tricia as I got the names mixed up with the post above yours.

Fabian_Pruitt

I use stevia in cocoa, the only hot drink I sweeten. I found I only need a little bit, not one for one.
I gave up sugar in tea years before, first by slowly cutting down, a little less each week. Then I was on hospital yet again and no matter how many times I asked for 1/4 teasp of sugar they dumped too much in. By that time I'd been down to a 1/4 for months but couldn't give up the last bit. But horribly over-sweetened tea tasted worse than none, so by the time I got out I never took sugar again.
Hi Tricia
The knack with the tea lady in hospitals is to get her attention when she gets to the bed beside you as she's pouring that persons tea, just lean over and screen at the top of your voice 'No B****Y sugar' after a couple of those even the dozy ones get the message. When I was last in hospital (not Diabetic related) the woman with the trolley seems to miss me out as she wandered around the ward. I always wondered if it was something I said?

Thanks for the reply.

Michael.

Fabian_Pruitt

I guess my first question would be T1 or T2?
T2 is enough for me to handle at present.

I've been on Metformin for ages and not had anything to complain about. Would like to be pill free by the Autumn as this lockdown is doing me a power of good. No tempting snacks, crisps or fizzy drinks. Think of all the money I'm saving. Just hope I can keep it up once this virus vanishes.

Best of luck.

Michael.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi
I went through all the sweeteners in my local Tesco's and ended up using Sweetex in the end as that one didn't leave a strange taste in the mouth. It's probably just me, hard to please, unfortunately.
Yes I used to be bothered by the taste and aftertaste but now I don't even notice it.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've often used Natvia - a combination of erythitol and stevia (which is a common combination and is safe for diabetic use) and this suits me fine. It's quite expensive but I know my local Tesco sells it and has occasionally had it on special offers. They sell it in both granulated and tablet forms, and the granulated also comes in individually wrapped portion "sticks" - which they don't stock.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
When I was first diagnosed with T1 I bought sweetners to use instead of sugar in coffee and tea. I used to forget to take them with me when I went out and so I drank unsweetened tea and coffee: it was hard at first but my taste buds adjusted to the new taste. (There were no carb counting apps in 1969, but I was told to avoid sugar.)