Opinions on this response to Weetabix

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 and relatively new to self blood glucose testing.

Having read about Weetabix's claims to be low GI and the different experience of many members here, I tried an experiment today with a bowl of 2 Weetabix with almond milk. I tested preprandial and 2hr and 3hr postprandial. The results surprised me.

5.2 preprandial
7.5 2hr postprandial
5.9 3hr postprandial

To me, that seems like I can tolerate Weetabix quite well. What does the team think?

TIA

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The numbers from that one test look quite good considering it's weetabix, but that might be faint praise.
I personally wouldn't aim to eat weetabix regularly on the basis of it, as it is still an increase of more than 2, but perhaps it's something you can get away with in a pinch. Is almond milk higher in carbs than milk? That might also be something to consider

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't want to exceed 7mmol/l two hours after eating so it would not do for me - I really want a normal Hba1c and I don't get it even on 40 gm of carbs a day.
I know that I can now eat more carbs and not see high BG levels - just weight gain, which was always the problem for me, so I can't justify the thought of eating a high carb food - it isn't logical, when I can eat steak and mushrooms instead and see numbers in the low 6s or even less.
I knew I had diabetes beaten when I saw 5.6 mmol/l after eating two Christmas dinners on consecutive days - one with each offspring, and something as stodgy and uninteresting as Weetabix is not going to tempt me now.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The numbers from that one test look quite good considering it's weetabix, but that might be faint praise.
I personally wouldn't aim to eat weetabix regularly on the basis of it, as it is still an increase of more than 2, but perhaps it's something you can get away with in a pinch. Is almond milk higher in carbs than milk? That might also be something to consider
Thanks George. I wasn't thinking of having Weetabix regularly. Maybe twice a week or something - just for a bit of variety. Almond milk (or more accurately unsweetened almond drink) is zero carbs.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't want to exceed 7mmol/l two hours after eating so it would not do for me - I really want a normal Hba1c and I don't get it even on 40 gm of carbs a day.
I know that I can now eat more carbs and not see high BG levels - just weight gain, which was always the problem for me, so I can't justify the thought of eating a high carb food - it isn't logical, when I can eat steak and mushrooms instead and see numbers in the low 6s or even less.
I knew I had diabetes beaten when I saw 5.6 mmol/l after eating two Christmas dinners on consecutive days - one with each offspring, and something as stodgy and uninteresting as Weetabix is not going to tempt me now.
I hear what you're saying. I don't like numbers in the 7s either, but the fact that it came down again quickly suggests a good tolerance. 5.6 after two Christmas dinners on consecutive days is no mean feat. Nice one!! I'm still new at this so just feeling my way around.

M

Member496333

Just keep in mind that type 2 doesn't operate on a meal-to-meal basis. It's cumulative. People beginning to put more glucose back into their body because it now seems they can tolerate it, is probably the most common story of diabetes returning. You can fix diabetes - the symptom - but fixing glucose intolerance is another matter, and it will definitely never be better than it was before you first started becoming diabetic.

Weetabix may or may not be suitable for you long term. Only time will tell, but definitely don't take your eye off the ball. What seems ok today might not be ok a year later.

Captain Crunch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just keep in mind that type 2 doesn't operate on a meal-to-meal basis. It's cumulative. People beginning to put more glucose back into their body because it now seems they can tolerate it, is probably the most common story of diabetes returning. You can fix diabetes - the symptom - but fixing glucose intolerance is another matter, and it will definitely never be better than it was before you first started becoming diabetic.

Weetabix may or may not be suitable for you long term. Only time will tell, but definitely don't take your eye off the ball. What seems ok today might not be ok a year later.
Thanks for the heads-up Jim. I'll definitely keep that firmly in the front of my mind. I was curious more than anything else and I can certainly live without Weetabix if needs be.

Lindap118

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 and have had some issues lately around weakness and vomiting. My hba1c was 50 but I was asked to record my blood glucose every morning and then 2 hours after every meal. This morning I had weetabix and unsweetened almond milk (for convenience) and after 90 minutes my score is 12.2. Clearly I will take it again in 30 minutes but am a bit shocked at how high it’s gone. Any comments please? Thanks

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 and have had some issues lately around weakness and vomiting. My hba1c was 50 but I was asked to record my blood glucose every morning and then 2 hours after every meal. This morning I had weetabix and unsweetened almond milk (for convenience) and after 90 minutes my score is 12.2. Clearly I will take it again in 30 minutes but am a bit shocked at how high it’s gone. Any comments please? Thanks
You have posted to quite an old thread, for this poster weetabix May not impact as much as others, some people have found they have different tolerances to carbs than others. Weetabix is high in carbs and has a significant effect on many type 2s I’m afraid and it appears at first glance you may not have the tolerance to them

a test after the fact shows it is high for sure, but what it was prior to eating is also important to understand how much the impact was

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If I read the label on Weetabix I see the following.

R.a169057368e017b7efeacc361ad1cdeb

So 69% of each biscuit is carbs, a 2 biscuit serving is 26g.
Not sure how many carbs are in almond milk but I presume it's low.
Problem with this type of "food" is there's very little protein or fat to slow digestion & reduce the spike.

I had my own self experiment post remission & I managed to hit 13.3 @ 1 hour after a bowl of Shreddies.
I recorded it here.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/fbg-4-1-hba1c-33-and-passed-ogtt.175834/#post-2301412

As you'll probably see 5 months later I'd a completely normal response but that was after significant weight loss, exercise & a low carb regime.
Like you my A1c was in the low 50s post diagnosis so if you hit low carb & achieve remission perhaps you could have similar results in time.

The kicker is that even though I know I could eat cereal I would sooner eat the cardboard box knowing what it's made of & what it's doing to my body.

Lindap118

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
. It’s my first post so am grateful for the replies. I’m now planning to ditch the carbs and try again.

Reactions: Andydragon

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm type 2 and relatively new to self blood glucose testing.

Having read about Weetabix's claims to be low GI and the different experience of many members here, I tried an experiment today with a bowl of 2 Weetabix with almond milk. I tested preprandial and 2hr and 3hr postprandial. The results surprised me.

5.2 preprandial
7.5 2hr postprandial
5.9 3hr postprandial

To me, that seems like I can tolerate Weetabix quite well. What does the team think?

TIA
Yep, I think you can tolerate them for now but do consider if they fill you up enough to make it to lunch or later? Could you eat something better nutritionally e.g. eggs, salmon, decent sausage or 2?