1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Opinions on this response to Weetabix

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Captain Crunch, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Captain Crunch

Captain Crunch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm type 2 and relatively new to self blood glucose testing.

Having read about Weetabix's claims to be low GI and the different experience of many members here, I tried an experiment today with a bowl of 2 Weetabix with almond milk. I tested preprandial and 2hr and 3hr postprandial. The results surprised me.

5.2 preprandial
    7.5 2hr postprandial
    5.9 3hr postprandial

To me, that seems like I can tolerate Weetabix quite well. What does the team think?

TIA

2. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The numbers from that one test look quite good considering it's weetabix, but that might be faint praise.
    I personally wouldn't aim to eat weetabix regularly on the basis of it, as it is still an increase of more than 2, but perhaps it's something you can get away with in a pinch. Is almond milk higher in carbs than milk? That might also be something to consider

• Like Like x 1
  3. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I don't want to exceed 7mmol/l two hours after eating so it would not do for me - I really want a normal Hba1c and I don't get it even on 40 gm of carbs a day.
    I know that I can now eat more carbs and not see high BG levels - just weight gain, which was always the problem for me, so I can't justify the thought of eating a high carb food - it isn't logical, when I can eat steak and mushrooms instead and see numbers in the low 6s or even less.
    I knew I had diabetes beaten when I saw 5.6 mmol/l after eating two Christmas dinners on consecutive days - one with each offspring, and something as stodgy and uninteresting as Weetabix is not going to tempt me now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Captain Crunch

Thanks George. I wasn't thinking of having Weetabix regularly. Maybe twice a week or something - just for a bit of variety. Almond milk (or more accurately unsweetened almond drink) is zero carbs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Captain Crunch

I hear what you're saying. I don't like numbers in the 7s either, but the fact that it came down again quickly suggests a good tolerance. 5.6 after two Christmas dinners on consecutive days is no mean feat. Nice one!! I'm still new at this so just feeling my way around.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind that type 2 doesn't operate on a meal-to-meal basis. It's cumulative. People beginning to put more glucose back into their body because it now seems they can tolerate it, is probably the most common story of diabetes returning. You can fix diabetes - the symptom - but fixing glucose intolerance is another matter, and it will definitely never be better than it was before you first started becoming diabetic.

Weetabix may or may not be suitable for you long term. Only time will tell, but definitely don't take your eye off the ball. What seems ok today might not be ok a year later.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Captain Crunch

Thanks for the heads-up Jim. I'll definitely keep that firmly in the front of my mind. I was curious more than anything else and I can certainly live without Weetabix if needs be.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook