COVID 2019 Comorbidity with Diabetes

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t until fairly recently. But like @Brunneria have found a few I am repeatedly low for regardless of how carefully I eat for them, quite possibly an absorption issue too. Would I die without the intermittent courses of supplements, probably not but I would most definitely feel some quite serious negative effects. So just because you’ve been fine doesn’t mean we all are and it doesn’t make us hypocritical the way you suggest. A vitamin supplement for an actual lack of something required is very different to a harmful chemical added for shelf life or colour etc.
Taking a supplement because you have been tested and found deficient is quite different from speculatively taking 100 times the RDA. About $35bn a year is spent on vitamins and other supplements in the USA. It is in the interest of Big Supplement to suggest that something you should be getting naturally in small amounts is beneficial to ingest in large amounts that you have to pay for.

lindisfel

Expert
I know this is off topic, but I cannot let this pass. Male circumcision is also mutilation, usually performed on babies or young boys who have no choice in what has happened to them.
I was circumcised as an infant and have not forgiven my parents for it. I have no idea how it has affected my sex life, but I will never know, I did not have the choice.
Mutilation of any child is not acceptable for ANY reason, other than medical necessity.
I am a Christian, not a Jew or Muslim and by no means advocating male circumcision, but one should exercise tolerance to the other two major Abrahamic faiths that practice this as a matter of religious belief.
It can in no way be compared to the mutilation of f.g.m.
D.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
There is an experiment underway, I think in the States, to give those seriously ill with Covid 19, Losartan, the Ace 2 receptor blocker. That's a different twist on Losartan to recent worries. I hope it works.
D.

Last edited:

KimmieRidge

BANNED
This is another such report. https://www.evolutamente.it/covid-1...he-ascorbic-acid-connection/?fbclid=IwAR2TEk9 The writer doesn’t appear to be a scientist but draw together numerous academic papers for discussion.
My understanding is that in both China and New York the hospitals are chucking high doses of vitamin C at Covid 19 patients as the doses have been seen to prevent inflammation in the lungs at that crucial stage in the viral condition of the patient. Reports suggest it works. I haven’t seen any scientific studies on it.

M

Member496333

Am I the only person on here who doesn't take any supplements? I have never taken any in my life and I have got to 72 without any problems apart from the diabetes which I control with low carbs. I have always had a very varied diet and I spend time outside every day, maybe that is enough. I wonder if it is the same people who dismiss foods because they have a minute amount of an additive who then take vast amounts of some chemical as a supplement?

As an adjunct to what I believe is the optimal diet (for me), I am currently taking the following, once weekly only;
  • 200mg magnesium - generally depleted in the food chain?
  • 4000iu vitamin D3 (olive-oil-carrier) capsule - winter only, because I work indoors.
  • 1x scoop of grass-fed bovine collagen - because cows are cool.
  • 1000mg ascorbic acid (vitamin C) - in case I feel like I didn't eat enough organ meat in any given week.
I remain feeling healthy with none of the above, but it's a harmless and potentially beneficial once-weekly ritual that gives me extra confidence. Especially if I've been doing some fasting and have maybe been lacking in some micronutrients as a result. But on the whole, COVID-19 aside, I would agree that it's probably not optimal to be consuming large quantities of daily supplements. In the end it's personal choice of course.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
According to 60 minutes in australia the us has it bad ny being a hotspot... hospitals are overrun now.

At the moment the nearest it is to me would be 50-100km away not looking forward to the winter months...

All i can do is watch it come....

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a Christian, not a Jew or Muslim and by no means advocating male circumcision, but one should exercise tolerance to the other two major Abrahamic faiths that practice this as a matter of religious belief.
It can in no way be compared to the mutilation of f.g.m.
D.
Perhaps we will agree to disagree.

Reactions: jjraak

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is another such report. https://www.evolutamente.it/covid-1...he-ascorbic-acid-connection/?fbclid=IwAR2TEk9 The writer doesn’t appear to be a scientist but draws on and references together numerous academic papers for discussion.

@HSSS, thank you so much for posting the link to this article. My husband told me about it. I grabbed him before he jumped on a conference call to confirm this is THE article he read and talked with me about. He said yes. Best article he'd read to date on vitamin C. Also that he looked at a lot of the article's reference material and found it to be quite good as well. I am going to send this out to all my family, friends, and co-workers. It's excellent.

***Also of note. At the end of the article, in this section, "A Call for Immediate Attention To The Use of Oral Ascorbic Acid in COVID-19 Patients" she provides guidance under the heading "The following supplementation guide for oral ascorbic acid is offered as informational purposes only, and should NOT be considered as MEDICAL ADVICE." It is aligned with similar advice provided by the doctors I've referred to here on this thread: cardiologist Thomas E Levy, MD, internist and nephrologist Suzanne Humphries, MD, Richard Cheng, MD, PhD and others.***

This is Dr. Cheng's bio... https://www.drwlc.com/blog/2010/07/29/about-dr-richard-cheng/

@Indy51 @Jim Lahey and others who are interested in this topic: I think you'll find the article HSSS found for us a good read too.

@Mr_Pot Agreed. Some people, I don't know how many, perhaps most, do not need to take nutritional supplements.

As for vitamin C, for most of the year, I only take 120 mg a day of vitamin C made from whole foods. Despite eating a very nutritious diet of healthy proteins, fats, including lots of vegetables, herbs and spices, I still have nutritional deficiencies. Don't know why. Likely due to genetic differences like MTHFR and ulcerative colitis. If I don't take a daily B-complex, my functioning deteriorates significantly over a period of 6 months or so. If I become ill with COVID-19, I will throw everything I have at it because I have damaged lungs and a history of developing shortness of breath following influenza. And I don't have the $5,000 it will cost me if I'm hospitalized.

In Thomas DeLauer's video, that I posted here a day or so ago, he explains how vitamin D3, vitamin C, magnesium, zinc, and copper work synergistically to help the immune system function optimally.

I sincerely hope you'll watch the 18 minute video on the New Zealand Dairy Farmer struck down by the N1H1 swine flu in 2009 who was in an induced coma for 9 weeks, whose family had to fight repeatedly to keep the hospital from removing life support, who had to fight repeatedly to have high dose vitamin C administered, who had to take LEGAL action to have the high dose vitamin C resumed when it was completely removed while he was still in a coma (and then, the hospital responded only by agreeing to administer 1 g vitamin C per infusion, likely delaying his recovery by weeks). Incredibly, he did recover but the family had to then take matters in their own hands and continue his vitamin C therapy using lipisomal vitamin C, which is known to be as effective as high dose vitamin C via IV. Additionally, he was told that he would require 3 months of rehabilitation. He walked out of that hospital and returned home after only 2 weeks of rehabilitation. He not only survived the N1H1 swine flu in 2009, he's thriving today.

I share this with you and others here because it illustrates the life saving benefits of high dose vitamin C for patients who are critically ill with a life threatening infection. And the battle you and others here will face to save the life of a loved one in the hospital because doctors have NO training in the use of vitamin C to treat infections and sepsis, even though it's been documented in the literature for 70 years+, as has the low carb ketogenic diet for diabetes. SAME PROBLEM. Doctors only understand pharmaceutical treatment approaches. They receive almost no training in the theraputic use of diet or nutrients.

Sadly, while doctors in some hospitals around the world are trying vitamin C administered via IV in the fight against COVID-19, the doses they're using are so sub-optimal, they may not work or only minimally help, which will only serve to further the pharmaceutical driven bias by doctors against nutrient based therapies for critically ill patients battling an infection.

If I were a doctor or nurse working in the hospital with COVID-19 patients, often without necessary PPE's, I'd be taking vitamin C because the stress alone they're experiencing under these very difficult working conditions is depleting their vitamin C reserves.

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update on Life Tabernacle Church just outside of Baton Rouge, Louisana from the Associated Press - (an estimated 500 attended services today; perhaps social pressure to not attend is working)...

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/03/29/us/ap-us-virus-outbreak-louisiana-church-service.html

In this article, the pastor is quoted as stating...

"He further explained that many people who attend his church don't have internet access and aren't able to watch church services online."
https://www.christianpost.com/news/...rom-jobs-without-pay-for-going-to-church.html
It's a good article that reports the pastor's perspective, also what's happened to other churches: illnesses, positive COVID-19 tests, and sadly, some deaths. Within the article is also a link to a online video of "Dr. Phil" remotely engaging the pastor in a conversation.

What a mess. My heart goes out to the people of Louisiana.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning I learned we had a super spreader gathering south of us on March 10th...

With the coronavirus quickly spreading in Washington state in early March, leaders of [a local chorale] debated whether to go ahead with weekly rehearsal.

The virus was already killing people in the Seattle area, about an hour’s drive to the south.

But [the county] hadn’t reported any cases, schools and businesses remained open, and prohibitions on large gatherings had yet to be announced.

-----

Sixty singers showed up. A greeter offered hand sanitizer at the door, and members refrained from the usual hugs and handshakes.

“It seemed like a normal rehearsal, except that choirs are huggy places,” [someone] recalled. “We were making music and trying to keep a certain distance between each other.”

After 2½ hours, the singers parted ways at 9 p.m.

Nearly three weeks later, 45 have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or ill with the symptoms, at least three have been hospitalized, and two are dead.
-----

In interviews with the Los Angeles Times, eight people who were at the rehearsal said that nobody there was coughing or sneezing or appeared ill.

Everybody came with their own sheet music and avoided direct physical contact. Some members helped set up or remove folding chairs. A few helped themselves to mandarins that had been put out on a table in back.

Experts said the choir outbreak is consistent with a growing body of evidence that the virus can be transmitted through aerosols — particles smaller than 5 micrometers that can float in the air for minutes or longer.

The World Health Organization has downplayed the possibility of transmission in aerosols, stressing that the virus is spread through much larger “respiratory droplets,” which are emitted when an infected person coughs or sneezes and quickly fall to a surface.

But a study published March 17 in the New England Journal of Medicine found that when the virus was suspended in a mist under laboratory conditions it remained “viable and infectious” for three hours — though researchers have said that time period would probably be no more than a half-hour in real-world conditions.

One of the authors of that study, Jamie Lloyd-Smith, a UCLA infectious disease researcher, said it’s possible that the forceful breathing action of singing dispersed viral particles in the church room that were widely inhaled.

“One could imagine that really trying to project your voice would also project more droplets and aerosols,” he said.

With three-quarters of the choir members testing positive for the virus or showing symptoms of infection, the outbreak would be considered a “super-spreading event,” he said.

Linsey Marr, an environmental engineer at Virginia Tech and an expert on airborne transmission of viruses, said some people happen to be especially good at exhaling fine material, producing 1,000 times more than others.

Marr said that the choir outbreak should be seen as a powerful warning to the public.

“This may help people realize that, hey, we really need to be careful,” she said.
This is so heartbreaking. The above are excerpts only. The article is well written and fills in many additional details...
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

-----

The Life Tabernacle church gathered again this past Sunday. Only 500 this time. The pastor's father, who I believe is the church's former pastor, stated his son is doing nothing wrong. That likely is playing a role in this challenge to the Baton Rouge, Louisiana community.

-----

And today I learned that a mega church in Tampa, Florida is continuing to offer Sunday services, but in this case, local law enforcement with the support of the state's governor have taken legal action... https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...h-that-held-large-sunday-services/ar-BB11VzzL Not sure if this will work, but at least they're trying to put a stop to this nonsense.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This article expanded on the perspectives of the pastor and members of The Tabernacle Church...

Louisiana church defies COVID-19 order, holds Sunday services
By Molly Hennessy-Fiske, Los Angeles Times 12 hrs ago
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/l...-holds-sunday-services/ar-BB11SYNG?li=BBnb7Kz

Not sure where I read this today, but a survey was done and 17% of those surveyed stated they are physically attending church services which surprised me. It seems some churches in the US are still gathering.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone in the UK attempted to buy a non-essential item from a store allowed to remain open because it sells essential items, but been refused this non-essential item? I'm not just talking Easter Eggs, but any non-essential item? There seems to be confusion about the rules on this and I was wondering if anyone else has come across this. It happened to my hubby the other day in a well known chain pet store when he went in for dog food and a plant for the fish tank. He came home with the dog food but not the fish plant as that was refused.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone in the UK attempted to buy a non-essential item from a store allowed to remain open because it sells essential items, but been refused this non-essential item? I'm not just talking Easter Eggs, but any non-essential item? There seems to be confusion about the rules on this and I was wondering if anyone else has come across this. It happened to my hubby the other day in a well known chain pet store when he went in for dog food and a plant for the fish tank. He came home with the dog food but not the fish plant as that was refused.
No but I was told off for going to the bank to pay a cheque in. I was told I shouldn't have put myself at risk by going out for that reason. I went out to collect prescriptions and called in at the bank as I was passing. I am still upset that the cashier spoke to me like that. There was only one other person in the bank and they were more than 2 metres away.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are no regulations about what you can buy only the type of business that can be open. You can buy all sorts of non essential items in a supermarket so it would be unfair to other types of shop.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No but I was told off for going to the bank to pay a cheque in. I was told I shouldn't have put myself at risk by going out for that reason. I went out to collect prescriptions and called in at the bank as I was passing. I am still upset that the cashier spoke to me like that. There was only one other person in the bank and they were more than 2 metres away.
How else could you pay the cheque in? Needing money in the bank is essential.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How else could you pay the cheque in? Needing money in the bank is essential.

I use online banking (Lloyds). I can pay a cheque in with my smart phone and its camera within 2 minutes without stepping outside my door.
In fact, I haven't set foot inside a bank in probably 2 years, and don't intend to in the next 10 years if I can help it. Online banking is quicker, easier, allows me to set up/cancel direct debits and standing orders, open and close accounts, arrange overdrafts, reduce or eliminate overdrafts, pay bills, pay credit card, transfer money, see my balances, see my account history, search for specific payments, helps calc my tax return, and enables me to be paper free. I can use a computer, a tablet or my phone to do all these.

Back when I lived in rural Wales for 20+ years, I used to pay cheques in by using the Paying In envelopes supplied by the bank. I used to post them in through the bank's letterbox in the evenings while passing on my way home from work. In those days I did everything using the 24/7 phone banking system since I worked long hours and the bank was NEVER open when I could get to it. Worked like a charm.

Last edited: