Any T2's managing to get Supermarket Delivery Slots?

Max68

Hi , Type 2 pretty well controlled until Christmas with HBA1C's of 44, 53, 49, 49, 48 since June 17. Mum's been ill with dementia since last year so I fell off the wagon a bit and was shocked to see it went up to 58 in December! My fault. Been on BP meds and statin's for a while but BP ok and no illness generally at the moment so unsure, like many of us are, on what sort of risk we are at.

Cannot get a delivery slot for love nor money with Sainsbury or Tesco, not even a click and collect. Finally got to sign in with Sainsbury but received a message saying I was not recognised as a vulnerable customer, which is fair enough.

Problem is I live alone and there are only so many times you can ask a neighbour to do a big shop for you and my car has packed up, probably the battery, but no point in getting it fixed right now. Certainly too far to walk and to be honest not over comfortable with visiting the shops anyway with no real idea on how this thing can affect us so in a bit of a quandary. All very well the government saying "get food delivered" but you can't if there are no slots!

How do others manage here?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
How about Tesco?

Anyone know?

Max68

Tesco had some last weekend but they went within about 30 seconds!

Just tried Ocado and just get " If you return to this page, you are not in the priority access list yet." so no chance of registering.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m getting Tescos deliveries for ourselves, at a wait of 3 weeks (book when the slots come up, and then reserve them with a few basics checked out in the basket (Lincolnshire). The delivery slots seem to be released a day at a time. First come first served.

Similar story with Tescos in Surrey, where I have booked two advance slots for an elderly family friend, via our account, but delivered to their address.

My parents shop in Sainsbury’s and nearly went into meltdown when I suggested Tescos (easier for me to place the order for them). But in the end we got them signed up with Sainsburys, using their payment card. I place the order. Its delivered to their home, on their card. They qualify for the vulnerable through age priority category.

I suggest you ring the helpline of your chosen supermarket, and ask them how it works, and if there is a way to get on the list.
They are all recruiting madly for extra drivers and getting new vans, so things are improving.

Max68

Can't get through to Sainsbury by phone. Auto message basically says the slots are for the elderly or vulnerable and unless they have received confirmation from the government or you have received a letter from your GP there seems nowt you can do. Starve or risk Covid 19 by going to shop seems the only two options!!!

D

Deleted member 308541

I am on the online delivery priority list here with Woolworth's Australia, first week was good plenty of windows. This week, all early slots are gone and nothing was available to Sunday which I grabbed.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just go to the shops to be honest, I do my weekly shop as normal and I haven't had any issue. It's been pretty quiet every time I have been and well stocked.

Supermarkets are well set up for social distancing and as long as your careful it's not a great risk.

Unfortunately there just ain't enough slots, if every one in the country in the Higher risk, not just the very high risk group got the slots then there wouldn't be enough by far. Then those at really high risk would have to venture out and be in much more trouble then those not in the very high risk group.

*Edit didn't spot the no car bit, that's a tricky one at the best of times.

Last edited:

Max68

The Gov.UK website re getting support lists those as vulnerable as the following -

Do you have a medical condition that makes you extremely vulnerable to coronavirus?
You’re extremely vulnerable if you:

• have had a solid organ transplant
  • have any cancer and are getting chemotherapy
  • have lung cancer and are getting radical radiotherapy
  • have cancer of the blood or bone marrow, at any stage of treatment - for example, leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma
  • have any cancer for which you’re getting immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments
  • have any cancer for which you’re getting a targeted treatment which can affect the immune system - for example, protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
  • have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or are still taking immunosuppression drugs
  • have a severe respiratory condition - including cystic fibrosis, severe asthma or severe COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
  • have a rare disease or inborn error of metabolism that significantly increases your risk of infection - for example SCID or homozygous sickle cell
  • are getting an immunosuppression therapy that’s sufficient to significantly increase your risk of infection
  • are pregnant, and have a significant congenital or acquired heart disease

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I’m getting Tescos deliveries for ourselves, at a wait of 3 weeks (book when the slots come up, and then reserve them with a few basics checked out in the basket (Lincolnshire). The delivery slots seem to be released a day at a time. First come first served.

Similar story with Tescos in Surrey, where I have booked two advance slots for an elderly family friend, via our account, but delivered to their address.

My parents shop in Sainsbury’s and nearly went into meltdown when I suggested Tescos (easier for me to place the order for them). But in the end we got them signed up with Sainsburys, using their payment card. I place the order. Its delivered to their home, on their card. They qualify for the vulnerable through age priority category.

I suggest you ring the helpline of your chosen supermarket, and ask them how it works, and if there is a way to get on the list.
They are all recruiting madly for extra drivers and getting new vans, so things are improving.
I'm glad your parents and you are being looked after - what a relief!. We tried to use my wife's Sainsbury's on-line delivery account which we last had to use in 2014. They said that as I was the one at the top of the shielding list, they would have to set up the account in my name, having verified that I am registered. I got a letter from the Department of Health and Social Care this morning reminding me os the strict measures put in place and the need to register (standard letter) I signed in on their website, filled in requested details and in the feedback box told them I had already registered and that I was not yet able to take advantage of home delivery! Obviously they are swamped, but I'd love to know how you got through the red tape. Keep well!

Max68

Yeah it doesn't help!! :banghead:

I'm sure it's just the battery but even if next door got the jump leads out I would have to go for a long drive to charge it properly (not an essential journey) and even then can you imagine the thing not starting in Sainsbury's car park!!! Other option would be to buy a new battery but it would cost a fortune for someone to come and fit it, if they do, and it will just die again because the car just sits on the drive! Normal day I would just jump lead it and go to Halfords!!

Wasn't expecting a delivery slot but it's the lack of click and collect that's frustrating as you can just do the shop online, pay for it and then it's not so much of an issue asking a neighbour if they could collect it. My neighbour is very good to be fair and texts when he goes to the shops but I feel I can't text him as he has a family so has to do his own shop and I wouldn't want to take liberties. Not so bad for a few bits but when you have a list it is a bit embarrassing. I had to reveal I had diabetes to them anyway because otherwise they would have thought that I was a lazy sod.

Reactions: KK123

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad your parents and you are being looked after - what a relief!. We tried to use my wife's Sainsbury's on-line delivery account which we last had to use in 2014. They said that as I was the one at the top of the shielding list, they would have to set up the account in my name, having verified that I am registered. I got a letter from the Department of Health and Social Care this morning reminding me os the strict measures put in place and the need to register (standard letter) I signed in on their website, filled in requested details and in the feedback box told them I had already registered and that I was not yet able to take advantage of home delivery! Obviously they are swamped, but I'd love to know how you got through the red tape. Keep well!

I foresaw a time when home deliveries would come in useful (at that time I thought the biggest problem would be them ceasing to drive), and back in Feb, when I visited, I basically strong armed my very reluctant parents into setting up an account. They had quite a lot of reluctance!

We must have got in just before the rush.
Their account is linked to their Sainsbury’s points card, so I guess that gives the company their ages? Which puts them in the age-vulnerable group.
Either way, the company has been sending emails explaining that they have been identified as in the vulnerable group and therefore have priority on the delivery slots.

at the moment, Sainsbury’s seem to open up a limited number of slots each morning, for delivery the next day.
We do the order on the phone, with me tapping on the computer. :)
There are numerous things going out of stock and being substituted, but the deliveries are getting there...

Do you know anyone who has an account set up and running who could place an order for you? Their account, your food list, delivered to your address, you pay them.

also, have you tried local butchers, grocers, veg box delivery companies, meat delivery companies... Amazon are still delivering groceries too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I foresaw a time when home deliveries would come in useful (at that time I thought the biggest problem would be them ceasing to drive), and back in Feb, when I visited, I basically strong armed my very reluctant parents into setting up an account. They had quite a lot of reluctance!

We must have got in just before the rush.
Their account is linked to their Sainsbury’s points card, so I guess that gives the company their ages? Which puts them in the age-vulnerable group.
Either way, the company has been sending emails explaining that they have been identified as in the vulnerable group and therefore have priority on the delivery slots.

at the moment, Sainsbury’s seem to open up a limited number of slots each morning, for delivery the next day.
We do the order on the phone, with me tapping on the computer. :)
There are numerous things going out of stock and being substituted, but the deliveries are getting there...

Do you know anyone who has an account set up and running who could place an order for you? Their account, your food list, you pay them.

also, have you tried local butchers, grocers, veg box delivery companies, meat delivery companies... Amazon are still delivering groceries too.
Many thanks for this. We have a butcher and a village stores, but the problem is my wife is on a very low fat diet (gall stones) and also has very painful knees. We have explored farm shops, nurseries, and all of them are swamped and unable to take further customers. We therefore rely heavily on my daughter who lives in Bury St Edmunds, seven miles from us. So we aren't in a desperate situation - it would just make life simpler, especially since the first death in Suffolk occurred just down the High Street from us...!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I just go to the shops to be honest, I do my weekly shop as normal and I haven't had any issue. It's been pretty quiet every time I have been and well stocked.

Supermarkets are well set up for social distancing and as long as your careful it's not a great risk.

Unfortunately there just ain't enough slots, if every one in the country in the Higher risk, not just the very high risk group got the slots then there wouldn't be enough by far. Then those at really high risk would have to venture out and be in much more trouble then those not in the very high risk group.

I don't go to the shops but hubby does. I could go as I have no underlying health conditions other than being over 70 (I don't count my T2 as an underlying condition), but we decided the risk is halved if only one of us goes. He uses the early slots reserved for the vulnerable as he is also over 70. All our local supermarkets are now doing the self distancing thing, with tape marking out where to stand if in a queue and are disinfecting the trolleys between each customer, plus screens up at the check outs. He went on Monday to Sainsburys. No queues either outside or at the tills. There were 8 other people shopping. He couldn't believe it. He was in and out in double quick time. We keep an alcohol sanitiser in the car so he can sanitise himself as soon as he gets in the car, and he does it again after unpacking the food.

I appreciate it would not be possible if no car available. @Max68 have you someone with a car battery charger, or someone who could charge it up from their own car with leads? I have to do that with my car all the time.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah it doesn't help!! :banghead:

I'm sure it's just the battery but even if next door got the jump leads out I would have to go for a long drive to charge it properly (not an essential journey) and even then can you imagine the thing not starting in Sainsbury's car park!!! Other option would be to buy a new battery but it would cost a fortune for someone to come and fit it, if they do, and it will just die again because the car just sits on the drive! Normal day I would just jump lead it and go to Halfords!!

Wasn't expecting a delivery slot but it's the lack of click and collect that's frustrating as you can just do the shop online, pay for it and then it's not so much of an issue asking a neighbour if they could collect it. My neighbour is very good to be fair and texts when he goes to the shops but I feel I can't text him as he has a family so has to do his own shop and I wouldn't want to take liberties. Not so bad for a few bits but when you have a list it is a bit embarrassing. I had to reveal I had diabetes to them anyway because otherwise they would have thought that I was a lazy sod.

Max, you mention Halfords. They are still open for business.

Garages remain open too, along with KwikFit and the others.

I understand KwikFit do a mobile fitting service, although whether that covers batteries as well as tyres, I couldn't be sure.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first tried to get slots could not get them for love or money and had to go shopping locally. Actually it was not so bad, went very early Monday morning a couple of weeks ago shop was well stocked with hardly anyone shopping. And apart from the stupid female who coughed as she walked past me, everyone was keeping their distance. Last week I was very fortunate and managed to get a delivery slot for Tesco's later this week, plus a click and collect for later in the month. Think I just hit lucky with both Also went on to Asda online on Wednesday late morning, by chance they must have just allocated slots for click and collect as there were lots available. Other folk I know have managed to get slots for Iceland but I have never seen any. Checked Sainsbury's but disallowed from registering and Morrisons is another a non starter, cannot even get past their queuing process. Just checked wait of 17 minutes and over 27,000 people in the queue before me.

D

Deleted member 308541

Just checked wait of 17 minutes and over 27,000 people in the queue before me.
I do not know how many in front of us there where, but it took two working days for approval for ours.

Max68

All good advice. I've signed up to all Supermarkets now but nothing. Sure I could get someone to come and replace the battery (if it is that) and go shopping but I guess it's all about risk especially as this thing might hang around in the air. Might come to taking a chance but I'll try all avenues at first I reckon. Hopefully the neighbour will text over the weekend. Sorry all, I'm a glass half empty type unfortunately!! ;)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All good advice. I've signed up to all Supermarkets now but nothing. Sure I could get someone to come and replace the battery (if it is that) and go shopping but I guess it's all about risk especially as this thing might hang around in the air. Might come to taking a chance but I'll try all avenues at first I reckon. Hopefully the neighbour will text over the weekend. Sorry all, I'm a glass half empty type unfortunately!! ;)
Why not change the battery yourself, they normally come already charged.