Hi, newly diagnosed Type 2

Paul-H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I'm Paul from Northampton.
Recently diagnosed type 2 after 2 blood tests and a telephone consultation with my GP (thanks Coronavirus!)
He's prescribed Metformin and has referred me on to a 'Diabetes Course'.

Reactions: TinksMum

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You have found a great place to get advice, support and information.

People will be on with helpful links soon.

Welcome.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum. Do you know what your hba1c number is?

Most of us control our T2 with diet. As a T2 you are unlikely to be given a glucose meter but it is essential for learning what food is suitable for you. We can suggest a couple if you want.

Read around the forum and ask questions.

M

Member496333

Welcome along. Click the link in my signature before doing anything else.

Paul-H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum. Do you know what your hba1c number is?

Most of us control our T2 with diet. As a T2 you are unlikely to be given a glucose meter but it is essential for learning what food is suitable for you. We can suggest a couple if you want.

Read around the forum and ask questions.

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. It was a quick call and I didn't really take everything in. I'll call the surgery tomorrow and ask.
As for BG monitors, I'd appreciate a few pointers.
I'm reading a lot of posts on here just to get to grips with things and will probably understand a lot more when I've attended the course/workshop whatever it is that my GP mentioned.

Thanks all for the welcome.

M

Member496333

@Paul-H it goes without saying that you'll do your own research and make your own choices but, just to give you a frame of reference to start from, many of us here who have had success in beating our diabetes did so by doing the exact opposite of everything we were ever told by our GPs or on these courses.

The more time you spend around here, the more likely you are to begin to think that the establishment is actually pretty uniformed on the subject of type 2. Even the so-called experts often get it very wrong. The best people to listen to when it comes to managing or beating diabetes are those who have actually done it, not those who get paid to talk about it.

Reactions: natashika

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tagging @Rachox for meter info.

The courses for diabetics range from not bad to dire. I am truly thankful I found this forum before I attended mine. I stuck my oar in a couple of times
And an observer, dressed in nurses uniform, approached me during the break to ask me about diet.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @xfieldok

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently bought out this one, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available if bought in quantities of 5 or 10 pots with the codes below. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details above.

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
HI
Recently diagnosed type 2 after 2 blood tests and a telephone consultation with my GP (thanks Coronavirus!)
He's prescribed Metformin and has referred me on to a 'Diabetes Course'.[/QUOTE
Hi Paul
You need to be sure about your Hba1c. You'll have to manage your blood sugar by means of a glucometer and a healthy lifestyle. A healthy lifestyle is: eating healthy food, regular exercise, low stress levels and good quality sleep. Healthy food is basically diabetes-friendly food: foods with low glycemic index and load. Our bodies respond differently to food, so you need to check your blood glucose a hour or two after you make/introduce/increase/decrease a certain type. You need to cut down on carbs (starchy and sugary foods) and eliminate junk food. As you are on medication (metformin) you have to watch out for episodes of hypoglycemia. In this case, you need to consult with your GP to regulate doses. Eventually, if you can achieve good control of plasma glucose and maintain a healthy lifestyle, your GP might deprescribe medication. This is non-expert advice and being so should not be a substitue for professional medical opinion and assistance. These comments are just tips from someone whose T2D is in remission. All the best of luck. Lost of subscribers will offer some form of help.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not entirely sure to be honest. It was a quick call and I didn't really take everything in. I'll call the surgery tomorrow and ask.
As for BG monitors, I'd appreciate a few pointers.
I'm reading a lot of posts on here just to get to grips with things and will probably understand a lot more when I've attended the course/workshop whatever it is that my GP mentioned.

Thanks all for the welcome.
You could get a head start and just read Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code. It explains just about everything about T2, and it'll help you with the lingo, as well as help you know what questions to ask your doc, and you'll understand comprehensive answers to boot. I don't know when that workshop's ever going to happen what with Corona, but expertise of the people giving that course tends to vary horribly.... Some still live in the dark ages, other are completely clued in on the latest research, but those seem rare. Best thing is to just educate yourself as soon as possible, take the bull by the horns and you know what? You could actually be back into the normal range by the time the course rolls around. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is a half decent starting point, bu if you have more questions, give a shout eh.

Good luck!
Jo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Have a low-carb diet and be careful with the diabetes courses. Many in the NHS have little understanding of diabetes and PHE even less so if anyone suggests having carbs with every meal etc just ignore them. These forums are a mine of information so read them regularly.

aealexandrou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise
He's prescribed Metformin and has referred me on to a 'Diabetes Course'.
I would second the recommendation that you start your diabetes research by YouTubing Dr. Jason Fung.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Paul
I'm in a similar boat. Told over the phone in lockdown, but without medication or follow up.
I've learned a lot since and bought my own monitor. Basic set up was only £21but hav just order another load of strips as there a knack to using it which took practice (and a fair number of strips )
I've decided I need to take control of this. NHS do seem a bit blase about diabetes, like its expected and it doesnt matter if nothing happens for another year or 6 months, but I want to do what I can now. It's my body and my health.
I'm losing weight, keeping active, cutting carbs and learning...fast!

Reactions: Buzzer81

Buzzer81

You could get a head start and just read Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code. It explains just about everything about T2, and it'll help you with the lingo, as well as help you know what questions to ask your doc, and you'll understand comprehensive answers to boot. I don't know when that workshop's ever going to happen what with Corona, but expertise of the people giving that course tends to vary horribly.... Some still live in the dark ages, other are completely clued in on the latest research, but those seem rare. Best thing is to just educate yourself as soon as possible, take the bull by the horns and you know what? You could actually be back into the normal range by the time the course rolls around. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html is a half decent starting point, bu if you have more questions, give a shout eh.

Good luck!
Jo

Jo, i just ordered that book! Glad you recommended it!

Paul-H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, I've done an awful lot of reading over the last few days and I'm so impressed with the amount of knowledge on here!
So, I've ordered the Tee2+ meter and some test strips. I've also ordered the book Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code.
As I had to go shopping anyway I began checking carb levels on the usual food I buy and I was quite shocked at how high a lot of it was.
When my meter arrives and I begin testing I'll have a better idea of how certain foods affect me and which ones to embrace or avoid.
My only disappointment was white bread. I do enjoy a nice sandwich so I'm earnestly looking for something to replace it.
Oh, I accessed my test results online and my Hba1c level was 79.

Thanks to everyone for their replies and advice.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is livlife bread, which I get from Waitrose and also Asda do a protein bread and although the slices are small, it is only 4 gm of carbs a slice.

ExiledJack

Regarding bread - 20g of ground almonds and 1 egg. Mix together. Get a bread-sized tupperware box and put half the mixture in the microwave for a min, repeat with the second half of mixture.

Toast and you have two slices of almost zero carb bread.

Buzzer81

Hi Paul
I'm in a similar boat. Told over the phone in lockdown, but without medication or follow up.
I've learned a lot since and bought my own monitor. Basic set up was only £21but hav just order another load of strips as there a knack to using it which took practice (and a fair number of strips )
I've decided I need to take control of this. NHS do seem a bit blase about diabetes, like its expected and it doesnt matter if nothing happens for another year or 6 months, but I want to do what I can now. It's my body and my health.
I'm losing weight, keeping active, cutting carbs and learning...fast!

Totally agree with you. Shocked by the blase nature of doctor coupled with zero advice or following care. Coronavirus notwithstanding, the diabetes pandemic has been happening for many decades.