Changing basal dose

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Tonight I’m going to knock 2 units of my basal, is the effect immediate or is it best to wait a set time before making further adjustments. Thanks

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Kind of depends on what basal you use - Levemir and Lantus will make a difference within a day, but it’s best to wait three days to make sure it wasn’t a one off before making more changes. Tresiba can take 3-4 days for a change to take effect, so it’s best to wait at least a week on the new dose before changing it again

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there @slikwipman - depends what basal your using ? Generally can take at least a day to see any changes but some can take up to 3-4 days.

Reactions: slikwipman

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Sorry always forget the important bit, currently 22 units of Levemir at 8 pm which I’m rescuing to 20 because of too many hypos, thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tonight I’m going to knock 2 units of my basal, is the effect immediate or is it best to wait a set time before making further adjustments. Thanks

Hi,

"Knock off" = reduction. Yep if get it. ;)

You could notice these effects on your levemir tomorrow. But it's worth keeping a close eye on BGs with testing for a few days, regarding consistency on its action?

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Hi,

"Knock off" = reduction. Yep if get it. ;)

You could notice these effects on your levemir tomorrow. But it's worth keeping a close eye on BGs with testing for a few days, regarding consistency on its action?

Imagine how hard it makes managing diabetes when I can’t write a sentence ‍♂️

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry always forget the important bit, currently 22 units of Levemir at 8 pm which I’m rescuing to 20 because of too many hypos, thanks
Many people split their Levemir because it doesn't work evenly over 24 hours for most. If you're having lows in the hours after injecting but seeing high numbers in the hours before injecting, splitting your dose might be worth looking into.

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Many people split their Levemir because it doesn't work evenly over 24 hours for most. If you're having lows in the hours after injecting but seeing high numbers in the hours before injecting, splitting your dose might be worth looking into.

I take my Levemir at 8pm and the carb ratio I use at breakfast is 1:10 but for my evening meal could be 1:15, I’m hoping a lower basal will even it out. Most of my hypos seem to be around 2:30 pm and after my evening meal so not sure if this means that the Levemir is working fine over 24 hours as it’s a long way off injection. One thing I have changed is I now inject my basal into a leg

Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take my Levemir at 8pm and the carb ratio I use at breakfast is 1:10 but for my evening meal could be 1:15, I’m hoping a lower basal will even it out. Most of my hypos seem to be around 2:30 pm and after my evening meal so not sure if this means that the Levemir is working fine over 24 hours as it’s a long way off injection. One thing I have changed is I now inject my basal into a leg

What time do you give fast acting for lunch? Just an idea...

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
What time do you give fast acting for lunch? Just an idea...

I always take my Novorapid just before I eat 3 times a day, I’ve only started eating properly again for about 3 weeks so injecting so much insulin confuses me.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always take my Novorapid just before I eat 3 times a day, I’ve only started eating properly again for about 3 weeks so injecting so much insulin confuses me.
Insulin works us all individually.
You mentioned having hypos at 2.30pm.

What time do you eat lunch? How long prior do you inject for it.

Well done on focusing on your diet.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I use Levemir and used to do just one dose at 11pm but now split it as I found it helps to smooth it. I often tweak my Levemir up and down by 1 or two units depending on the carbs I've had during the day. Changing my 11pm dose number of units shows the change at my breakfast test, so the change does show up fairly quickly. I aim to have BS of between 5 to 7 mmol at breakfast.

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Insulin works us all individually.
You mentioned having hypos at 2.30pm.

What time do you eat lunch? How long prior do you inject for it.

Well done on focusing on your diet.

This picture might explain better than I can
IMG_0521.jpg

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Just had the DN explain the effects exercise has on doses and a brief explanation that it can effect dosage by as much as 50% . I would of thought such simple information was what I was coming here for

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

To be quite frank its normally advisable to review your basal rate to stabilize the foundations prior to working out what the issue is elsewhere.. https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

This picture might explain better than I can View attachment 39827

I've literally just caught up with your screenshot after receiving a notification. Thanks.

If this was my log.? i would surmise the correction dose at 12.26 may have "stacked" with a possible mistimed bolus of 4u an hour & 12 minutes later.for the meal.. nearly 2 hours later & a 41 minute walk you were dropped to 3.3.

I've known Novorapid have a kick in its tail upto & around 4,5 to 5 hours later..

However. until a basal test removes some of the variables. I wouldn't stick my neck out in your case.. I'm a T1, not an HCP. :)

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Thanks for the reply, my first question is I thought I was type 1 and don’t know what HCP is, also I struggle to understand things past a certain level but I’m fine with numbers , the DN is putting a pen in the mail that does half units and put my Levemir to twice daily so hopefully this will help, Thanks

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Thanks for the reply, my first question is I thought I was type 1 and don’t know what HCP is, also I struggle to understand things past a certain level but I’m fine with numbers , the DN is putting a pen in the mail that does half units and put my Levemir to twice daily so hopefully this will help, Thanks

I should say that they are only doing telephone appointments so she hasn’t seen my diary

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Sorry , read your post a few more times and get the last bit know, I don’t understand what stacking and mistimed boluses are though