Carbs in Spices?

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know where I can get the carb count for spices? Do you all count those carbs?

M

Member496333

I'd be more concerned with offensive compounds such as oxalates. Spices also apparently have a propensity for promoting intestinal permeability. Carbohydrate is only part of the picture when it comes to overall nutritional health.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I don't count them, and I often tart up our food with herbs and spices.
But if it is something like a pickle or a relish, then I either avoid it, or use the merest smear - just enough to give an impression.

A good example would be Patak's products. Love the pastes, which are delicious, varied, and are workable for my carb limits, especially when used sparingly. The jars of sauces on the other hand - I avoid them, because the carbs in those add up to outside my comfort zone.

Another example - we have both mint sauce and mint jelly in the cupboard. I use the mint sauce sparingly, my husband adores the mint jelly by the tablespoon. :D Each to their own.

Reactions: RosieMaxwell

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys. I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I won’t worry about spices. I’m pretty good about staying <20g carbs with everything else so it hopefully won’t matter!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t count herbs but I do on occasion count spices as depending what you are cooking they can add up especially if you are keto or very low carb. I make a curry with turmeric, gram masala, chilli powder, garlic powder, cumin etc and the spices even by teaspoon and half teaspoon add up to 5g per portion, so by the time you add your other ingredients it can quickly ramp the carb count up.

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach
I don't buy spice mixes without checking whether they contain sugar. If they do, I don't buy them. We have enough organic herbs and spices, that we can play around and create our own mixes eg Cajun which are sugar and gluten free. I don't bother to check carbs for individual spices and herbs though, s I wouldn't use 100g in one recipe.