1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carbs in Spices?

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by RosieMaxwell, Apr 12, 2020.

1. RosieMaxwell

RosieMaxwell Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can get the carb count for spices? Do you all count those carbs?

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'd be more concerned with offensive compounds such as oxalates. Spices also apparently have a propensity for promoting intestinal permeability. Carbohydrate is only part of the picture when it comes to overall nutritional health.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't bother counting them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

No, I don't count them, and I often tart up our food with herbs and spices.
    But if it is something like a pickle or a relish, then I either avoid it, or use the merest smear - just enough to give an impression.

A good example would be Patak's products. Love the pastes, which are delicious, varied, and are workable for my carb limits, especially when used sparingly. The jars of sauces on the other hand - I avoid them, because the carbs in those add up to outside my comfort zone.

Another example - we have both mint sauce and mint jelly in the cupboard. I use the mint sauce sparingly, my husband adores the mint jelly by the tablespoon. :D Each to their own.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RosieMaxwell

RosieMaxwell Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I won’t worry about spices. I’m pretty good about staying <20g carbs with everything else so it hopefully won’t matter!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I use Fat Secret for nutrition info and they have a section on spices, you can can the info from the actual spice packet on the back.

https://www.fatsecret.com.au/calories-nutrition/search?q=spices

• Like Like x 1
  8. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don’t count herbs but I do on occasion count spices as depending what you are cooking they can add up especially if you are keto or very low carb. I make a curry with turmeric, gram masala, chilli powder, garlic powder, cumin etc and the spices even by teaspoon and half teaspoon add up to 5g per portion, so by the time you add your other ingredients it can quickly ramp the carb count up.

9. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I've never actually worried about counting spicy carbs, but I allowed for a few extra "incidental" carbs when working out my overall daily limit.

• Like Like x 2
  10. EggsEggsEggs

EggsEggsEggs Type 2 · Active Member

I don't buy spice mixes without checking whether they contain sugar. If they do, I don't buy them. We have enough organic herbs and spices, that we can play around and create our own mixes eg Cajun which are sugar and gluten free. I don't bother to check carbs for individual spices and herbs though, s I wouldn't use 100g in one recipe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook