Lancet (re-) use

Wishman

Hiya. Have recently picked up from a couple of comments on unrelated topics that some people use lancets more than use. As a relative newbie to all this I have been religiously using a new strip (obviously) and new lancet for every test. Can the lancets be reused? Would save a few pennies :)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the lancets a lot of times, not sure when I last changed it in fact .....

D

Deleted member 308541

I use a Fastclix lancing device that has a six lancet magazine, every time I open a new box of fifty strips I change the lancet.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry meant "more than once" . Don't know how to edit.
Just click 'edit' (or delete) below your post.
Can the lancets be reused?
While it isn't advised to reuse them they work perfectly fine for months. Up to you to decide on the hygiene risk, and it seems to vary from person to person how much an old lancet is bothering them pain-wise.
I think my current lancet has been in use for about 4 months at 3 or 4 tests a day, doesn't bother me. But that's definitely not official advice!

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My strips always come with lancets, but I have boxes and boxes of lancets unused as I change them once every 50 or 100 tests (or when it starts leaving a mark/hurting)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My strips always come with lancets, but I have boxes and boxes of lancets unused as I change them once every 50 or 100 tests (or when it starts leaving a mark/hurting)
Why not let them know to not send you lancets anymore? Seems a bit of a waste.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just don’t tick them on the repeat request for now then. Only select the items you actually need.

When I took over my dads care he had stockpiled so many things. The pharmacy just had to throw carrier bags of drugs away when he died. Have had to beg my mum not to do the same. Such a financial waste for the nhs and multiplied across the country I’m sure it adds up to a pretty penny.

Reactions: lessci

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As per the others I reuse the lancet (fastclix) until it seems to hurt or I realise I can’t remember when I switched it last. Official advice is to change it every test.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think we all start off by using one for each test, but then realise other people aren’t. I actually change mine every two or three day as I find if I use them much longer I get sore fingers. I use a different finger each day but still they get sore if I don’t change the lancet regularly.

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to change mine every time, but don’t now. Probably change mine once every week to ten days, when I feel it is getting blunt.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just don’t tick them on the repeat request for now then. Only select the items you actually need.

When I took over my dads care he had stockpiled so many things. The pharmacy just had to throw carrier bags of drugs away when he died. Have had to beg my mum not to do the same. Such a financial waste for the nhs and multiplied across the country I’m sure it adds up to a pretty penny.

I would do but for some reason a box of test strips and lancets is cheaper then jsut a box of test strips its stupid.

SafeAQ Blood Glucose Test Strips

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I don’t use mine as much as I use to as I’m on the Libre , but I use the theory they used on syringe needles years ago “ use them TIL they go blunt “ I don’t tend to leave it that long in all fairness

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is often discussed and people vary in what they choose to do. I remember someone posting ages ago that they saved their lancets and sterilised batches in boiling water...

I use a Fastclix which holds little cassette/drums of 6 lancets. I originally bought a box of containing 200 of these six years ago and still have some left. I use each lancet until it gets blunt, and have never have any issues, except for an occasional slightly painful blunt stab. :eek:

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I'm using my fastclic not very often, if it's the "individual" refillable one, every time

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would do but for some reason a box of test strips and lancets is cheaper then jsut a box of test strips its stupid.

SafeAQ Blood Glucose Test Strips
Sorry I made an assumption it was prescribed on the nhs? In which case all prescriptions are priced by item so this makes no sense and if you are on any diabetic medications should be free if you get an exemption certificate.

or is it something you buy directly as a multipack type thing?

Reactions: MJDS

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I keep using the same one until starts hurting. Then change.