Rope jumping

Glyko

I am quite sedentary, don't like sports but take walks every now and then.

I was thinking of starting jumping rope HIIT.

Anyone into that? Seems easy to dedicate a few minutes every day...?!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last time I did skipping with a rope I tore my Achilles tendon quite badly, got carted off to hospital, was on crutches for 6 weeks and off work. That was a long time ago now but I was in a sedentary job with very little exercise at the time. Ironically, this was in a keep fit class organised by work! It may be better if you stick to brisk walking!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Skipping can be quite stressful on lower body joints especially if you’re not use to exercise.
HIIT if done correctly is hard on the body and definitely needs a level of fitness prior to undertaking.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I agree that it’s not something you should just
‘Jump’ (pardon the pun !) into without some training or build up before hand otherwise you risk great potential for injury - as with any exercise it’s also best to get the green light off your GP first.

From a sedentary lifestyle point of view it’s best to start with something gentle first, walking and swimming are both good exercises when and if it’s possible to do so.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an 8 ft trampoline in the garden - it is really low impact on the joints, two sessions a day in the warm weather gives me an increased heartrate, I can do stretching and roll about on the apron in ways I could never think of on a hard floor, and it is fun. I have never had so much as a twinging muscle afterwards, though I have had to admit that my joints are never going to fold like they used to - and it is about 12 years old now and still going strong.
It is also useful if feeling a bit 'bunged up' as the jumping gets things moving really well. Sometimes I am glad we have a downstairs loo.

Reactions: EllieM

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am quite sedentary, don't like sports but take walks every now and then.

I was thinking of starting jumping rope HIIT.

Anyone into that? Seems easy to dedicate a few minutes every day...?!

Hi there, if you are fit and well in all other aspects then I say go for it but SLOWLY and build up. Other than absolute extremes I like to think nothing is off the menu. The official advice is to talk to your Dr before starting exercise from a sedentary position but if you start slowly you'll be surprised at how quickly your body adapts you're 35 not 90. x x

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I skipped everyday for 10 mins for 6 months and lost 3 inches around my hips and my stomach shrank-no calorie deficit so I didn't lose any weight. I was overweight so I took it very easily.Don't overdo out of enthusiasm as you will get shin splints and not want to continue. I did 1 minute skips for a while and very slowly built up to 10 mins a day. For me, getting appropriate gear -long enough and right length rope (it doesn't have to be expensive) and no skipping on concrete-a mat or wood floor such as the gym will do.I use Chuck Taylor Converse All Stars trainers because they have a "low drop" (read that on crossrope.com and many other skipping/jump rope sites) -or you can use cross fit trainers-in fact, any trainers will be okay- I just wanted to have maximum benefit for the jump rope experience.Utilize an app or go to youtube and have a look. Crossrope app is very good.Jumping rope is the best cardio ever, inexpensive and portable .

Last edited:

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I bought a jump rope, but the USGS called and said stop it. Plus I found it hard on my joints. Now I climb stairs