Anyone still working or been called back to work recently?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
to tell u the truth i dont really like reading the news cause everywhere you look its always tabloid opinions or something depressing about the country
The truth about obesity (awful guidelines and nutritional education of the educators) is depressing.

Reactions: Slaine2k

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My opinion is........ looking at children they are suffering an autoimmune response to the virus which is NOW being treated correctly. Hence less deaths in children. When dealing with comorbidities in adults from type2 diabetes as well as inflammation of the lungs and/or heart with heart disease then treatment varies from health authority to another. Management is patchy to say the least. My authority/ local hospital has the worst cases of death from covid-19. Why? Well I'm sure this will be investigated, thoroughly.
Many elements can cause worse outcomes to patience suffering from a virus. Any virus. Any illness or disease. Ultimately looking after our own health is the backbone of care. We can control alot but the portion we have no say over is determined by the confidence to turn things around and no neglect.
I feel very confident that medics now know much much more about this virus and it's path of destruction. For me I hv many health problems and to some they are shocking and overwhelming but to me it's mostly my 'normal' so unless one of my problems go way out of control then dealing with covid-19 should be just the same as anyone without my comorbidities but monitored incase of change and a change needed in my meds or insulin.

As of whether I should return to work? I'm not fit for work at the moment but I'm praying that changes so I can start a new career. Covid-19 won't stop me but I guess that's easy for me to say without any symptoms nor in our household nor neighbourhood.
Do I think kids should return to school? Only if they are shielded from any chance of carrying the virus home. Once companies and schools/universities are shielding like shop workers then why not.
I like many need reassurances. Which the gov isn't yet doing.
My local labour MP spoke on Question Time last night and she confirmed that she wants to see more from Boris's government too. More from companies and reassurances.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTE="ickihun, post: 2262423, member: 196960" Any illness or disease. Ultimately looking after our own health is the backbone of care.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree with this. I get that it's not always easy and many factors are involved but any medication you may get for an illness/disease must surely go hand in hand with taking responsibility for our own health and by doing everything you can to eat healthily and live a healthy lifestyle. x

Reactions: shaz2608

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 of 22 years with an HbA1c of 37 and happily working for the ambulance service, transporting covid patients.

Hi,

I realise (from your other posts.) you seem comfortable with the level of PPE provided & with the adequacy of training involved regarding precautionary protocol with the aforementioned in your professional role.
However, there are still many other areas in other sectors still to be accessed & addressed for those other than the capable working from home.

I'm sure you don't wish the effort put in to flatten the curve to come undone.

Reactions: ickihun and HSSS

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

I realise (from your other posts.) you seem comfortable with the level of PPE provided & with the adequacy of training involved regarding precautionary protocol with the aforementioned in your professional role.
However, there are still many other areas in other sectors still to be accessed & addressed for those other than the capable working from home.

I'm sure you don't wish the effort put in to flatten the curve to come undone.
I merely answered the question in the post title:
“Anyone still working or been called back to work recently?”

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I merely answered the question in the post title:
“Anyone still working or been called back to work recently?”

Hi,
Disappointing,
& I asked your opinion on the callbacks.? Trade unions have got a few ideas...

Stuff to look out for, stuff to say no to within reason regarding "risk assesment" on the return to work..?

Max68

Do I think kids should return to school? Only if they are shielded from any chance of carrying the virus home. Once companies and schools/universities are shielding like shop workers then why not.
I like many need reassurances. Which the gov isn't yet doing.
My local labour MP spoke on Question Time last night and she confirmed that she wants to see more from Boris's government too. More from companies and reassurances.

Interesting article yesterday from a Headmaster outlining his letter to parents that basically says "we cannot guarantee to keep your children safe". And he is right to be honest about this as it's impossible to socially distance 100% in schools right from the size of classrooms to ventilation to the transport children use to get to and from the school. Then there is how a staff member may have to apply First Aid whilst social distancing and other variables that haven't been looked at. Plus this new concerning Covid related Kawasaki disease in some children. Surely that needs to be looked into first? It's a minefield.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi,
Disappointing,
& I asked your opinion on the callbacks.? Trade unions have got a few ideas...

Stuff to look out for, stuff to say no to within reason regarding "risk assesment" on the return to work..?
So sorry you feel disappointed - I saw no questions in your initial reply to me, just a series of statements. Sentences with no question marks. I can't see anywhere you have asked for my opinion until this rather scathing reply.

In answer, I don't know. I only know what's right for me in respect of my local laws, my own diabetes, my job and my available protective equipment.

Last edited:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ya Khova91
In newspapers there’s headlines like
MORE than a quarter of Covid deaths in England involve people with diabetes, NHS data reveals.

It shows those with the condition account for 26 per cent of all hospital fatalities from coronavirus

This one is from the sun I’m in same situation to I’m due to go back soon too my place has already opened and even worse I would go in by public transport the bus for 2 hours
Hope that clears up the news parts
See the thread discussing that paper in more detail!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
in answer to the OP:
Not currently working - I am a PT and am employed by a members' club.
If they asked me I would go back in to work without concern. Ditto if I were a teacher.
This is because I have a risk factor (type 1 with hba1c of 53 so high blood sugars) but I am aged 49, not obese and otherwise fit.
The risk of not going back is that I will lose my job!
I would like my children to be educated and believe the teachers are key workers and if they are at low risk for CoVid complications should go back too given that the WHO have not been able to track any cases in which kids passed on infection to others in China and nor do kids suffer much when they do get this virus (greater risk of crossing the road to get to school). Teachers are likely to be at greater risk of infection (if this is of concern to them) by mingling in the staff room. I agree that it is a nonsense to think that children could or should be socially distant at school (see those sad pictures of French kids in marked off squares in the playground or the Swiss kids with social distance alarms that bleep if you get too close). However it seems that lots of parents are too fearful to send their kids in anyway so perhaps mine will get a private school style ratio of teacher to kids!
IMO the unions are doing their workers a disservice promoting the need for absolute health and safety over the jobs of their members whose health may be far worse as a result of losing their livelihoods. Nothing we do in life is 100% risk free so surely we can our own sensible steps to minimise infection such as hand washing, avoiding peak time public transport or even anti social distancing. Also getting blood sugars better (my own challenge) and getting out in the sun, eating and sleeping well are steps we can all take without waiting to be told by our union, the government etc.

garryplummer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not sure if this is the correct thread but mega concerned after call from my manager asking for a letter from the government stating I should shield for 12 weeks, well on the 19th March after a conference call my boss said due to me having Type 2 Diabetes and my general health I need to shield for the 12 weeks, so I am, I have hypertension, on Propranolol for my heart that is very fast if I do not take them, this is since I had a heart attack in 2000, but I changed my doctors when I moved 6 years ago, and my current surgery says that they have not received my medical file, which shows all the previous problems with my health, my job is in a small shop owned by a huge company, and they are busier by 100% and no protection for if I worked there as customers all come in with no restrictions and being doubly busy is worrying me sick.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if this is the correct thread but mega concerned after call from my manager asking for a letter from the government stating I should shield for 12 weeks, well on the 19th March after a conference call my boss said due to me having Type 2 Diabetes and my general health I need to shield for the 12 weeks, so I am, I have hypertension, on Propranolol for my heart that is very fast if I do not take them, this is since I had a heart attack in 2000, but I changed my doctors when I moved 6 years ago, and my current surgery says that they have not received my medical file, which shows all the previous problems with my health, my job is in a small shop owned by a huge company, and they are busier by 100% and no protection for if I worked there as customers all come in with no restrictions and being doubly busy is worrying me sick.
Did you get a letter from the government telling you to shield? Or was it just your boss that said that? Type 2 on its own doesn’t fit the criteria, unless complications or other conditions alongside it do. Is your dr refusing to add you to the shielding list? Can they not track your file down? The fact that they continue to prescribe medication for your heart without any records seems very odd indeed. Someone at the surgery needs to clarify all this urgently imo

Reactions: Sweetheart66

garryplummer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did you get a letter from the government telling you to shield? Or was it just your boss that said that? Type 2 on its own doesn’t fit the criteria, unless complications or other conditions alongside it do. Is your dr refusing to add you to the shielding list? Can they not track your file down? The fact that they continue to prescribe medication for your heart without any records seems very odd indeed. Someone at the surgery needs to clarify all this urgently imo
Hi, thanks for replying, the only thing was with meds was asked when joining this practice to tell them what I was taking on prescription, they never questioned why I was taking these meds, I have emailed my doctors tonight explaining all my problems and will wait to see, but the doctors are not very helpful in my surgery, I have had a heart in 2000 which is when I was given Propranolol, have high blood pressure taking meds prescribed for that, high Cholesterol am 37.5 bmi obese,take anxiety and depression meds, and a PPI for my hiatus hernia and have checks every year at the hospital to check my right side voice box as the left does not work which effects my left lung as the lung does not close when I eat or drink due to the flap in my voice box, they told me that if my right side voice box fails like the left side then I would not be able to eat or breath, so think this should be a reason to not go into work.

Sharonp89

Hi, I have just had an email to return back to work on 1st June, not entirely sure about how I feel. I work in a nursery so social distancing will be very hard. I feel like I’m ready to go back to work but still have a few doubt as I’m type 2 diagnosed since January. I have now got my BS under good control not the best but a lot better then before and I’m still working at lowering it the best I can. My thought process is I can’t stay isolated forever, my diabetes isn’t going anywhere anytime soon and neither is this virus.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
i've been furloughed since the 1st of April but got a call to go back to work next Monday. I'm not sure how I feel about it, is that advisable? Or should I still be self isolating? I didn't actually get a letter saying I should be isolating for 12 weeks...maybe due to my age (28) and the fact I'm still sort of newly diagnosed? (Got diagnosed less than 2 years ago). Last time I got my BP checked I got told it was good, and my usually ranges between 6-8 mmol, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or info that could help, thanks in advance.

Working from home and have been since March!. Its doing my head in as its very suffocating with my partner being here 24/7.

I haven't had any advice about shielding or isolating and I'm type 2, have Fibromyalgia, had two strokes etc but the figures about the number of covid deaths in people who have diabetes is, I feel, very misleading.

How many had underlying heart or lung conditions?. How old were they?.

I don't feel anymore at risk than anyone else and I don't think just being diabetic makes me any more at risk because I have yet to read a single shred of scientific evidence that says I am more at risk and explains why. I think we should also recognize that diabetes is far from an uncommon condition so I would expect a certain proportion of people to have been diagnosed with the condition.

Just my opinion.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
in answer to the OP:
Not currently working - I am a PT and am employed by a members' club.
If they asked me I would go back in to work without concern. Ditto if I were a teacher.
This is because I have a risk factor (type 1 with hba1c of 53 so high blood sugars) but I am aged 49, not obese and otherwise fit.
The risk of not going back is that I will lose my job!
I would like my children to be educated and believe the teachers are key workers and if they are at low risk for CoVid complications should go back too given that the WHO have not been able to track any cases in which kids passed on infection to others in China and nor do kids suffer much when they do get this virus (greater risk of crossing the road to get to school). Teachers are likely to be at greater risk of infection (if this is of concern to them) by mingling in the staff room. I agree that it is a nonsense to think that children could or should be socially distant at school (see those sad pictures of French kids in marked off squares in the playground or the Swiss kids with social distance alarms that bleep if you get too close). However it seems that lots of parents are too fearful to send their kids in anyway so perhaps mine will get a private school style ratio of teacher to kids!
IMO the unions are doing their workers a disservice promoting the need for absolute health and safety over the jobs of their members whose health may be far worse as a result of losing their livelihoods. Nothing we do in life is 100% risk free so surely we can our own sensible steps to minimise infection such as hand washing, avoiding peak time public transport or even anti social distancing. Also getting blood sugars better (my own challenge) and getting out in the sun, eating and sleeping well are steps we can all take without waiting to be told by our union, the government etc.

Hi Nicole, I agree with everything you have said but none of us know how Covid19 MAY affect us IF we get it. How do we know how our immune system (already compromised) will react to it? To me, it's not so much about having a great H1bac or running 5 times a week or all the other things we do to keep fit & healthy (I do all those things), it's about the unknown factor. Yes, we must do all we can to avoid it as you have said but I can understand the extra concerns of those in jobs where everyone (diabetic or not) is at a higher risk by virtue of the job, like me, Police/NHS/Teachers for example. I know nothing is risk free (Police Officer for 40 years) but I CAN expect my work to help me minimise the risk to me of this for a few months out of a lifetime without them thinking I am fearful. I'm not.

Reactions: HSSS

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Nicole, I agree with everything you have said but none of us know how Covid19 MAY affect us IF we get it. How do we know how our immune system (already compromised) will react to it? To me, it's not so much about having a great H1bac or running 5 times a week or all the other things we do to keep fit & healthy (I do all those things), it's about the unknown factor. Yes, we must do all we can to avoid it as you have said but I can understand the extra concerns of those in jobs where everyone (diabetic or not) is at a higher risk by virtue of the job, like me, Police/NHS/Teachers for example. I know nothing is risk free (Police Officer for 40 years) but I CAN expect my work to help me minimise the risk to me of this for a few months out of a lifetime without them thinking I am fearful. I'm not.
thanks for your considered response.
I suppose my feeling is that lockdown is a luxury for those of us on furlough or paid by the state and I am thinking of the deaths that are caused by the lockdown itself or the ongoing harms of crashing our economy and those of the less developed countries.
I know of 2 people who anecodotally have had this virus and recovered plus my step grandma who died of it or sepsis aged 104 but quite a few more who've lost work (dog walker, site manager, property developer and hospitality manager) and can't be supported by a dwindling band of tax payers indefinitely.
I just wanted to put the other side and the recent stats by Prof Karr don't convince me that I am any more at risk that I was before. We don't know how many have been exposed and been symptomless, have been exposed and got ill but recovered in the community but know that age rather than diabetes status is still the biggest risk yet still out of 376,000 type 1s (going on DuK figures here) 365 type 1s died with CoVid and not necessarily of it i.e. 0.07% of us with the average age being 70.2 years.

CasGo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone.

I am type-2, aged 50.

Due to redundancy from a decent managerial role, I ended up doing the job I did 30 years ago.....working in a supermarket.

Once it was apparent how serious COVID-19 was, I spent hours trying to see if the relevant charities / government / employer would be supportive. How WRONG I was!! I have an underlying neurodiversity condition and I was declared "not vulnerable enough". I feel for everyone in a similar position to me.....incredibly let down. NO ONE cares.

So I have upped immunity supplements to protect me and so far ....OK.

My primary focus is to secure a non-supermarket job. But been trying for 4 years.

Casper

Ni

I have been type 2 for a couple of years also have bad hypertension but I’ve continued in my care job since it all started and travel on the bus and I am stressed permanently by the way what they are thinking is that COVID is not so much a respiratory disease as one that attacks the blood vessels around the lungs preventing them from functioning