10.9 2 hours after dinner

Dpaterson9

Hi guy's,
For those that don't know, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes just over a month ago. Since then I have made drastic changes to diet and exercised more, I've lost 9 pounds so far so thought things were on track.
I've been taking a fasting test in the morning which has been between: 4.4mmol and 5.9mmol.
Today all I had was omelette for brunch and then dinner I mate spaghetti bolognase, never used a lot of pasta and a cup of tea with some honey and two hours later my blood sugar rocketed to 10.9mmol so I'm that annoyed, I went and ordered ice-cream and a fudge cake because I don't know why my blood is going so high and I'm fed up. Any help will be appreciated

Dpaterson9

Spaghetti = eek
Honey = eek.
Icecream = Possible eek
Fudge cake, depending upon ingredients = possible eek.
Yeah I only ordered the ice-cream and cake after I found out my blood sugar was 10.9. Pasta shouldn't do that to you surely when it's just a wee bit

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm surprised you aren't higher than 10.9 after pasta and honey. I rarely eat pasta as it's too problematic for me.
Edited to say, I'm type 1 and so take insulin but it's still too problematic!

Reactions: Grandma Misti

Dpaterson9

I'm surprised you aren't higher than 10.9 after pasta and honey. I rarely eat pasta as it's too problematic for me.
Edited to say, I'm type 1 and so take insulin but it's still too problematic!
Really? It should be higher than that? I really need to find a dietician or diet plan

Smally

It is annoying isn't it when you get disappointed with the high bloods, your find what food suits you best it's trial and error, I've only just started introducing carbs back in but minimal, I've lost over 4 stone in a year changed how I think about food, took a long time lol, so I cut out sugar, cut white pasta out, white bread ect, eat alot of chicken, protein bread, my pressure cooker is a godsend, I still have a treat most weeks chocolate is my craving, drink loads of water and Pepsi max, it is so hard to get it right but you will work it out what is best for you, as long as your bloods go down after a couple hours and the blood test shows your bloods going down then it shows your doing it right, good luck.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Dpaterson9 , I’m going to post some helpful links to explain a bit more about the use of low carbing in a diet suitable for (Pre) diabetes:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
I’m glad you are testing but you need to be methodical in your testing and learn from your results what you can and can’t tolerate. Here’s a link to target levels:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What @Rachox said and the links.
Spag blows me out the water, so I use sweet heart cabbage cooked in loads of butter as something for the sauce to hang on to.. which is just as well as I really really like cabbage.
It takes time to figure out how your blood glucose reacts to what you eat.
Good luck.

Dark Horse

Never trust a single unexpected reading - always repeat it. Also, make sure you're washing and drying your hands immediately before testing to avoid contamination with substances (such as honey) that could affect the result.

Dpaterson9

Thank you everyone. I have just done anothet blood test (two hours after my cake and 500ml ice-cream tub) astonishingly, my blood level is 6.6? How is this?

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blood glucose levels are affected by food and activity, so taking one item in isolation is not a good idea or it can send you down a very restrictive path.

Pasta contains allot of carbs, in fact pasta compared to ice creme has more carbs say ~30g of carbs in 100g of cooked pasta. In a full sized Magnum ice creme (so ice creme coated on chocolate) there are 22g of carbs.

A "portion" of pasta could be anything upto 150g to 200g so all of those carbs are being broken down into glucose and can affect your bloods.

I can eat pasta again now having lost allot of weight and increased activity, but when i first started even small portions sent my bloods rocketing. but even now i have only a say 50 to 100g portion with salad rather then a big bowl of pasta on its own, and i never double up on carbs by having pasta and garlic bread for example. I also skip desert if im having carbs in the main, but if im having a low carb main i will have some yogurt and fruit or pudding (or what ever)

The other thing to consider is that activity has a big affect, how much exercise/movement you have had just before or after your meal will affect how you process the carbs - so a bowl of pasta sitting on the sofa for a few hours after will have a different reading to the same bowl of pasta where you washed up after and put the bins out, went upstairs a few times to fetch things. It would be different again if you went for a run.

Best to keep testing, measure your portions and work out what you can and cant eat. if you let your self get too obsessed with the numbers you can end up cutting things out on one attempt which are perfectly acceptable given the right balance. This is inportent because many people go too strict too quickly and end up burning out.

Reactions: Grandma Misti

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also as a note the fat content of icecreme can delay the spike - i find that 3 hours after something very fatty and carby i can get a second spike

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There's no mystery here: spaghetti and honey are pretty much the epitome of food which spikes blood sugar: very high carb, very low fat. Ice-cream should be better. 10.9 is too high, but not awful, given the circumstances, and then if it went down to 6.6 after another 2 hours, that's also not too bad. Just take this as a reference- your body doesn't handle high carb foods well, so stop eating them.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I’ve rarely eaten foods that really spike me I sometimes get an overshoot the other side. Like my body finally catches up, gets the glucose back down, and then forgets to stop taking me lower than I would expect based on the current situation and food. My lowest ever reading of 3.9 came about this way.

Reactions: aylalake

prestonmike1

Err it's too high and is probably pasta induced hyperglycemia.
10.9 isnt too much to worry about in the short term, i wouldnt say it wa stoo high a couple of hours after eating something like paste, id suggest testing again in another hour or so, it will likely come down naturally, readings like 10.9 arent dangerously high in the short term and are to be expected in the hours after eating, even a non diabetic can have spikes a couple of hours after eating something like pasta