Tea raise

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Hi my bloods on waking this morning was 7.5 then after 2 cups of white tea with sweeteners in went to 8.5....is this normal ?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my bloods on waking this morning was 7.5 then after 2 cups of white tea with sweeteners in went to 8.5....is this normal ?
Could be two things: Dawn phenomenon, which is most likely. You haven't eaten, so your liver dumps glucose to give you energy. Secondly, it could be the sweetener. Sometimes a body senses something sweet and starts releasing insulin because it expects a glucose spike. Which then doesn't come and the liver (over-) compensates by dumping some more glucose. All in all, whatever caused it, it's probably your liver "helping" you out. ;)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Could be two things: Dawn phenomenon, which is most likely. You haven't eaten, so your liver dumps glucose to give you energy. Secondly, it could be the sweetener. Sometimes a body senses something sweet and starts releasing insulin because it expects a glucose spike. Which then doesn't come and the liver (over-) compensates by dumping some more glucose. All in all, whatever caused it, it's probably your liver "helping" you out. ;)
O right that kinda makes sense, I check every morning and have a 28 day average of 7.1 is that normal.....well done on your numbers and with no meds......secret please lol

Reactions: ianpspurs

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
O right that kinda makes sense, I check every morning and have a 28 day average of 7.1 is that normal.....well done on your numbers and with no meds......secret please lol
Your fasting numbers are a tad on the high side, but those are always the last to come down. As you already know those numbers by heart, you want to know the ones you haven't recorded yet: Before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. You're aiming for a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol/l. Less is preferable of course. ;) If you manage that for a few months, then start checking your fasting blood glucose again, see whether it's coming down already. (Took about 6 months for me.)

How? Like this: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html It really is no secret. ;)

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply, trying the 16 hour fasting program also to see if this helps
Intermittent fasting works best when combined with a low carb diet, so yay for going for fasting! :)

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Your fasting numbers are a tad on the high side, but those are always the last to come down. As you already know those numbers by heart, you want to know the ones you haven't recorded yet: Before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. You're aiming for a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol/l. Less is preferable of course. ;) If you manage that for a few months, then start checking your fasting blood glucose again, see whether it's coming down already. (Took about 6 months for me.)

How? Like this: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html It really is no secret. ;)
Problem is I have health anxiety and if I start checking after every meal it will engulf my life with worry, I think for now I will continue to lose weight, lift weights and eat better. My hbc1a was 83 and went to 72 on my last test with really no effort in my lifestyle so hoping with these changes I can keep it coming down and turn it around

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Problem is I have health anxiety and if I start checking after every meal it will engulf my life with worry, I think for now I will continue to lose weight, lift weights and eat better. My hbc1a was 83 and went to 72 on my last test with really no effort in my lifestyle so hoping with these changes I can keep it coming down and turn it around
There's people who are scared of needles or can't afford to self-fund test strips, or have a gazillion other reasons not to test, like you. They have the option to just "blindly" eat. If there are no medications in play like insulin or gliclazide they can safely just go as low carb as possible (ketogenic diet, carnivore, LCHF), without risk of a hypo. The only thing is, with the 2.0 mmol thing, that you can see progress clearly. (It's one heck of a motivator). But hey, if that doesn't work for you, work around it. Just keep in mind it'll be a looooong time before your fasting blood sugars improve, even if the rest of the day your blood sugars are absolutely beautiful due to the way you eat and fast. So try and have a little faith in yourself, if you can't check those other numbers without anxiety kicking in. Even if the fasting numbers remain a tad high in the coming months, (you could just save yourself the strips and test your fasting once every two weeks or so) that doesn't mean there's no improvement, okay? You're just not seeing it if you're not testing.

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
There's people who are scared of needles or can't afford to self-fund test strips, or have a gazillion other reasons not to test, like you. They have the option to just "blindly" eat. If there are no medications in play like insulin or gliclazide they can safely just go as low carb as possible (ketogenic diet, carnivore, LCHF), without risk of a hypo. The only thing is, with the 2.0 mmol thing, that you can see progress clearly. (It's one heck of a motivator). But hey, if that doesn't work for you, work around it. Just keep in mind it'll be a looooong time before your fasting blood sugars improve, even if the rest of the day your blood sugars are absolutely beautiful due to the way you eat and fast. So try and have a little faith in yourself, if you can't check those other numbers without anxiety kicking in. Even if the fasting numbers remain a tad high in the coming months, (you could just save yourself the strips and test your fasting once every two weeks or so) that doesn't mean there's no improvement, okay? You're just not seeing it if you're not testing.
Thank you your right I need to find out what spikes me, I will have my eggs beans and bacon now and in 2 hours check, I just get scared if it jumps by 6 or 7.....but I gotta find out what spikes me and what does not....thank you so much I hope I don't become a pest but I really want to take this on and reverse it, I weighed 24.8lb 2 weeks ago I now weigh 23.3 I'm hoping the continued loss helps.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you your right I need to find out what spikes me, I will have my eggs beans and bacon now and in 2 hours check, I just get scared if it jumps by 6 or 7.....but I gotta find out what spikes me and what does not....thank you so much I hope I don't become a pest but I really want to take this on and reverse it, I weighed 24.8lb 2 weeks ago I now weigh 23.3 I'm hoping the continued loss helps.
Eggs and bacon are fine. Beans??? That's one of those things you test for! Some people can have them, some can't. And you're not a pest, we all had to figure this out somehow, and I know it would've gone a lot faster for me if I'd had proper help. (I didn't find this place until later).

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With sweetener not only do some people have cephalic response (they smell and taste sweet so their body reacts to sweet) but some sweetener is mixed with basically “sugar”. Look at the ingredients for maltodextrin or dextrose. Avoid it like the plague if those are there. Maltitol in “no sugar” items is another one a lot of us avoid. Common for tummy upsets and bgl rises as bad as sugar.

Best non artificial sweeteners usually recommended are stevia, Erythritol or xylitol. Again check what they are mixed with in the fine print. Xylitol is the most sugar like but highly toxic to dogs and a few people have a Small bgl response to it. Stevia is ideal but has a distinct taste that I personally hate. Erythritol is my choice as no bgl response or tummy upset for most people but probably needs to be bought on Amazon etc as supermarkets don’t usually have it. Some say it has a cooling taste.

Even better is to wean yourself off completely if you can.

Reactions: Gricep

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
With sweetener not only do some people have cephalic response (they smell and taste sweet so their body reacts to sweet) but some sweetener is mixed with basically “sugar”. Look at the ingredients for maltodextrin or dextrose. Avoid it like the plague if those are there. Maltitol in “no sugar” items is another one a lot of us avoid. Common for tummy upsets and bgl rises as bad as sugar.

Best non artificial sweeteners usually recommended are stevia, Erythritol or xylitol. Again check what they are mixed with in the fine print. Xylitol is the most sugar like but highly toxic to dogs and a few people have a Small bgl response to it. Stevia is ideal but has a distinct taste that I personally hate. Erythritol is my choice as no bgl response or tummy upset for most people but probably needs to be bought on Amazon etc as supermarkets don’t usually have it. Some say it has a cooling taste.

Even better is to wean yourself off completely if you can.
I could easily drop sweeteners, I will try that thank you

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Eggs and bacon are fine. Beans??? That's one of those things you test for! Some people can have them, some can't. And you're not a pest, we all had to figure this out somehow, and I know it would've gone a lot faster for me if I'd had proper help. (I didn't find this place until later).
Hello, I did my sugars 3 hours later and they were at 6.7 ?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your numbers actually aren't that bad to be honest. Keep working on bringing them down, but they're not wildly high. 7.5 to 8.5 could just be the milk in the tea, not the sweeteners. I mean it could be both, but milk has lactose, so for a raise of 1pt I'd suspect the milk first.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I did my sugars 3 hours later and they were at 6.7 ?
It does kind of depend where they started and by 3 hrs they should be pretty close to pre meal. We usually check about 2hrs for the 2mmol or less guidance.

Gricep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
It does kind of depend where they started and by 3 hrs they should be pretty close to pre meal. We usually check about 2hrs for the 2mmol or less guidance.
Hi just tested again 2 hours after a brown bread ham sandwich with mustard on and a medium pork pie and I got a reading on 8.3 ?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi just tested again 2 hours after a brown bread ham sandwich with mustard on and a medium pork pie and I got a reading on 8.3 ?
That'd be the pie and bread. Not as high as it'd be if I ate that (I'd be seeing double digits), but you might want to opt for less dough next time.