1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Tea raise

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Gricep, May 19, 2020.

1. Gricep

Gricep Type 2 · Active Member

Yea I just wanted to see if the pastry and bread really advanced it but happy to say it did not, quite happy with that number to be honest

2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

You are obviously very lucky and can cope with grain and legumes, which are usually not for type twos.
    If you can keep to fairly low carb, nothing extreme you should be OK judging by the numbers you have reported. Testing after meals a few times should be reassuring if you see numbers like those.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gricep

Cheers, makes me feel better

4. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry but I wouldn’t be thrilled with over 8 after 2 hrs but that’s just me. Sure it could be worse and if I ate what you did it would be. Not best please with anything over 7 post meal personally but I’m not new and have always been pretty strict.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gricep

It's not the worst start tho

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Quite. I hit 20's after bread myself, so yeah, it could certainly be a whole lot worse! See what I mean with testing being motivational? Sometimes the meter has good news. Could it be better? Yeah. But it wouldn't take more than a few little tweaks to get there. Keep in mind that if you do keep eating carbs, the numbers will keep getting higher (as diabetes is progressive unless stopped in its tracks). But right now...? To start with? Your numbers aren't anywhere near as bad as they could be. That bodes well for the immediate and long term future. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gricep

Yes you were correct, I feel much better today.......thank you so much

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I found that once I started to see below 8 my numbers sank steadily downwards as it must have stopped hammering my metabolism and allowed restoration of normality.
    Soon I was seeing under 7, then under 6 - so I was approving the direction of travel more than the actual numbers.
    The foods eaten, I could not contemplate, but that is good too, most optimistic.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gricep

Quick update, 7.9 on waking 6.5 2 hours after breakfast

• Like Like x 1
  10. LionChild

LionChild LADA · Well-Known Member

If I have a cup of tea - any time of day - with semi skimmed milk (and Without any sugar or sweetener), my blood glucose also goes up significantly.
    I think it is the milk. After all, there is the type of sugar called LACTOSE in milk....? That will be what is making your blood glucose rise.
    Not the sweetener, not so much your liver (though of course in the morning that might well contribute to any rise of BG), but the milk you put in your cup of tea!

To combat this, you could replace cow's milk with for example, unsweetened, almond milk which has no carbs at all, but has other nutritious stuff, and this will prevent such a high rise.

11. LionChild

LionChild LADA · Well-Known Member

Very good Resurgam. Well Done!

12. oompaloompa

oompaloompa · Newbie

I'd take a look into the effective of caffeine on blood sugar too. For coffee especially, if I don't give ever so slightly more insulin my blood sugar can sometimes spike or go high. But I'd discuss this with your dietician if you have access to one :)

13. LDePellette_

LDePellette_ Type 1 · Newbie

Yes it's normal don't panic. Sweeteners will still raise your sugar levels as will the milk.
    Linda type 1

• Like Like x 1
  14. XxTinkerxx

XxTinkerxx Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There is also the option of using lactofree milk.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BringBackTheMcRib

BringBackTheMcRib · Newbie

I only use Arla lactofree milk and my sugar never rises. I don't use sweeteners or sugar in my tea either.

16. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

None of us know how high we went pre-diagnosis as we weren't pricking our fingers back then.
    My fasting was 7.5 around diagnosis so not far from where you are now.
    After 12 months of low carbing & losing 5 stone I'm now in the low 4's fasting & I'll be back in the 4's 2 hours after eating a sandwich.
    Potential for progress here is massive, it's all in your hands.

17. LindiePops

LindiePops Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Does anyone find having a shower can raise BGL's? For example, I can get up, test my blood (which may read as 5.8). I then go into the shower and if I were to check it afterwards, it can have risen to 8.2!! All without having had anything to eat or drink

18. HSSS

Doe sit happen at all times of day or just in the morning. Investigate dawn phenomenon or foot on floor phenomenon. It might not be the shower.

19. LindiePops

LindiePops Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, different times of the day. I'd already considered the dawn phenomenon Just wondering if my body is reacting to the heat? Maybe need to start having cold showers!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. HSSS

I’ve definitely heard people say a hot shower/bath effects numbers. Some higher some lower. Same as weather/air temps can have an effect.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook