Gluten free chicken kebab meat, carbs?

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly a little excited as our local chippy not only does gf cod and other bits but also gf chicken kebab meat, no pitta ..tempted but I’m on carb counting and wonder if anyone knows approx carb count?
IMG_3014.jpg

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately without knowing what the gluten free choice actually is it is kinda difficult to guess, the GF cod for instance may just be the cod not battered (in which case no carbs) or it could have some coating which does have carbs in it - I suspect it'd just be the cod without a coating but without asking/seeing it I couldn't tell :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@GuidingSenses - I'd almost look on that as spinning the wheel of fortune. It could go very well, or not well at all.

With fore-planning, you could ask the proprietors which rubs or marinades they use. They may be happy to share, or they may see it is a trade secret.

We had a chip shop dinner tonight. My OH has fish and chips, with mushy peas. I stole a few chips and mushy peas, to go with a chicken quarter I put a rub on this afternoon. I'll risk the chips, but for me, it's not worth gambling on the rest.

@Rokaab - Our local fish and chip emporium offer gluten-free options 2 nights a week. Their GF fish batter is a batter, but not at all like the "normal" option.

Reactions: GuidingSenses

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I eat kebab meat all time, with a salad bowl and habenero sauce.., with extra cheese. Probably not super healthy, but it sure is tasty

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@GuidingSenses have you just started carb counting? do you have the carbs and cals book or app?
I wouldn't imagine the chicken kebab itself would have many carbs in. With regards to the fish, well, I'll be honest, I have no idea how the carbs in gluten free items would differ from items containing gluten :bag:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Meat and fish are low carb by definition - it is the additives you have to watch - gluing meat together with starch and calling it stabilizer is always a good one for the profit margins, as is the '100 percent cod' on the front of the box, which then is revealed as being only half the contents, the rest being a carb laden gloop with flavourings.
The extra pound for meat from a named animal made me smile though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience is that the louder places shout about a GF product, the more rice and maize flour there is in that product and the more stabilisers, bulkers and added ingredients it has.

on the other hand, lamb and chicken should be GF - unless mucked around with, minced up and stuck back together.

Our local kebab place does the most gorgeous lamb and chicken. Diced, cooked to perfection, tender, juicy, with lovely golden crispy bits. I just ask them not to put it in a pitta. Never had a problem with gluten from it.

They also serve fab chips, also un-glutened, but those go down Mr B’s hatch.

so that means it hits all my spots - We can both eat enjoyable food from there, and mine can be low carb, GF, and carni

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately without knowing what the gluten free choice actually is it is kinda difficult to guess, the GF cod for instance may just be the cod not battered (in which case no carbs) or it could have some coating which does have carbs in it - I suspect it'd just be the cod without a coating but without asking/seeing it I couldn't tell :)

Sorry I was just asking about gf chicken kebab meat. I’ve already had the gf cod and yes it is in batter but delicious as a treat but no chips!

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@GuidingSenses have you just started carb counting? do you have the carbs and cals book or app?
I wouldn't imagine the chicken kebab itself would have many carbs in. With regards to the fish, well, I'll be honest, I have no idea how the carbs in gluten free items would differ from items containing gluten :bag:

Yes I have the carbs and Cals app, but it doesn’t show chicken kebab meat, yes it showed fish in batter not gluten free but I used that as carb count.

Reactions: sleepster

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience is that the louder places shout about a GF product, the more rice and maize flour there is in that product and the more stabilisers, bulkers and added ingredients it has.

on the other hand, lamb and chicken should be GF - unless mucked around with, minced up and stuck back together.

Our local kebab place does the most gorgeous lamb and chicken. Diced, cooked to perfection, tender, juicy, with lovely golden crispy bits. I just ask them not to put it in a pitta. Never had a problem with gluten from it.

They also serve fab chips, also un-glutened, but those go down Mr B’s hatch.

so that means it hits all my spots - We can both eat enjoyable food from there, and mine can be low carb, GF, and carni

Yes I’m excited as I have to drive to this chippy. It’s won awards and they call you sir and madam! My local chippy doesn’t do gluten free so I will have a go at the chicken meat and see how I go.