No insulin and VERY LOW BLOOD SUGAR

rebetic

I’m type 1 diabetic and im on my honeymoon period i guess i haven’t took any insulin in the past 2 days and i worked out and my bg dropped to 32 which is 1.7 !! Im so scared it might be something serious i know that if im t1d my body is producing too little or no insulin but since im on my honeymoon it does produce some but not this much! Normal ppl with working beta cells do not produce this much tf and if i eat high carb food without insulin it spike but it go down gradually and if i workout the going down process never stops my dexcom is like when i workout or even take a long walk and my long acting insulin is lantus so it only lasts for 21 hours it cant be it

Fyi i didn’t eat a whole meal cause it will spike my bg so im eating very small meals through out the day first i ate mini doughnut then i eat low carb icecream and peanut butter and 2 oreo cookies then after hours i ate an apple and green tea what do you think?

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @rebetic

Can you give us a bit more information about your hypo, so when did it happen, did you check on a blood glucose meter, how many times are you going low ?

The honeymoon phase means your pancreas is still producing some insulin which is an issue when taking insulin as it will cause swings in your control, type 1 is much easier to manage once your passed this phase but whilst your experiencing this you need to take extra care with exercise and keeping a close eye on your levels. If your not taking any quick acting then you need to reduce your background insulin as this will also cause you to run low, I note your not UK based however please check with your healthcare team, as your newly diagnosed.

It would be worth your while picking up a book called ‘think like a pancreas’ which is a hugely resourceful book for type 1’s written by one.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So you're still taking your Lantus? It can well be your dose needs to be adjusted because of your honeymoon phase. Some people even need to get off insulin for a while during this time.

rebetic

So you're still taking your Lantus? It can well be your dose needs to be adjusted because of your honeymoon phase. Some people even need to get off insulin for a while during this time.

No thats why im worried im not taking any type of insulin

rebetic

Hello @rebetic

Can you give us a bit more information about your hypo, so when did it happen, did you check on a blood glucose meter, how many times are you going low ?

The honeymoon phase means your pancreas is still producing some insulin which is an issue when taking insulin as it will cause swings in your control, type 1 is much easier to manage once your passed this phase but whilst your experiencing this you need to take extra care with exercise and keeping a close eye on your levels. If your not taking any quick acting then you need to reduce your background insulin as this will also cause you to run low, I note your not UK based however please check with your healthcare team, as your newly diagnosed.

It would be worth your while picking up a book called ‘think like a pancreas’ which is a hugely resourceful book for type 1’s written by one.

It happened after doing 25 long workout
I saw low and i thought my cgm wasnt accurate then i checked by blood it was actually 32 - 1.7
2 times the first one was 55 - 3.0 the other is 32 plus im not taking long acting insulin

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Can you have a phone appointment with your doctor? On my DAFNE course, we learnt that a type 1 diabetic had issues with both insulin and glucagon which are vital for maintaining normal ranges of blood sugar. Insulin allows the cells to absorb glucose from the blood, while glucagon triggers a release of stored glucose from the liver. Perhaps you didn't have a normal glucagon response when your blood sugars went low.

Reactions: rebetic

rebetic

Can you have a phone appointment with your doctor? On my DAFNE course, we learnt that a type 1 diabetic had issues with both insulin and glucagon which are vital for maintaining normal ranges of blood sugar. Insulin allows the cells to absorb glucose from the blood, while glucagon triggers a release of stored glucose from the liver. Perhaps you didn't have a normal glucagon response when your blood sugars went low.

i cant go to a doctor anytime soon but i hope thats the case since i dont have any other symptoms

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i cant go to a doctor anytime soon but i hope thats the case since i dont have any other symptoms
Perhaps see if you can arrange a phone call? Is there an email address you can get in touch on to request a call back? My team are doing calls and even video appointments if patients are happy with that so they can still help you remotely. Sounds like close monitoring is wise, and but also sounds like this is a temporary thing, so don't think you'll have to live with these lows for ever! Your diabetes team will be able to help you best as they will know the full picture, and can help you remotely so I hope you manage to get through to them soon.

Reactions: rebetic
C

CelalDari

Contact your diabetes team immediately.

I cannot offer any medical advice but there is a likelihood of your basal insulin being reduced as 1.7 mmol/L is very dangerous and I’m surprised you haven’t fainted.

If your BG is very low then I don’t understand why you don’t eat more carbs to bring it up. There are so many conditions that can actually cause a low blood sugar, might even be a type of pancreatic cancer but I really cannot comment.

In the mean time avoid exercise and check BG regularly using a glucometer while topping yourself up with carbs throughout the day

Reactions: Lizzie2

rebetic

Contact your diabetes team immediately.

I cannot offer any medical advice but there is a likelihood of your basal insulin being reduced as 1.7 mmol/L is very dangerous and I’m surprised you haven’t fainted.

If your BG is very low then I don’t understand why you don’t eat more carbs to bring it up. There are so many conditions that can actually cause a low blood sugar, might even be a type of pancreatic cancer but I really cannot comment.

In the mean time avoid exercise and check BG regularly using a glucometer while topping yourself up with carbs throughout the day

Dont worry ️ , i looked up pancreatic cancer symptoms low bg isnt one of them

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Dont worry ️ , i looked up pancreatic cancer symptoms low bg isnt one of them

Insulinoma? (benign tumour in pancreas which causes excess insulin production).

This seems extremely unlikely with a T1 diagnosis but you need to urgently talk to someone about your low levels. You don't have to physically see them, you just need to talk via phone or online video call.

Reactions: TypeZero.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hello @rebetic, have you been able to contact a doctor yet?

By the way, many of us find that a workout, or other exercise, will affect our BG. Some of us drop low as we use up all available blood glucose to create energy and ensure organs are functioning to help us adjust to exercise, and some of us go high when the liver puts out extra glucose for the exercise. I always eat a couple of jelly babies before prolonged exercise, and have more on hand in case I need them.

Last edited:

Diabestie

My son is also on the same boat ..My son was diagnosed with Type 1...He has been having a lot of hypos with insulin ..The doctor took him off the insulin and we still hit hypos in the night ...@rebetic did you talk to the doc .What did the doc suggest ?

Diabestie

I’m type 1 diabetic and im on my honeymoon period i guess i haven’t took any insulin in the past 2 days and i worked out and my bg dropped to 32 which is 1.7 !! Im so scared it might be something serious i know that if im t1d my body is producing too little or no insulin but since im on my honeymoon it does produce some but not this much! Normal ppl with working beta cells do not produce this much tf and if i eat high carb food without insulin it spike but it go down gradually and if i workout the going down process never stops my dexcom is like when i workout or even take a long walk and my long acting insulin is lantus so it only lasts for 21 hours it cant be it

Fyi i didn’t eat a whole meal cause it will spike my bg so im eating very small meals through out the day first i ate mini doughnut then i eat low carb icecream and peanut butter and 2 oreo cookies then after hours i ate an apple and green tea what do you think?

My son is also on the same boat ..My son was diagnosed with Type 1...He has been having a lot of hypos with insulin ..The doctor took him off the insulin and we still hit hypos in the night ...@rebetic did you talk to the doc .What did the doc suggest ?

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Possibly an issue with background insulin? I know your pain! I’m also in the honeymoon phase and it’s not pleasant at all! I take one unit of quick acting with meals and 4 units of background, I still get days where my sugars drop to 2-3. Exercise affects BS too, do you regularly experience hypos during workout? If so it’s definitely something to liaise with your team about to see if you can work out a better insulin regime or if it’s possible you need your background lowering. They may even be able to suggest higher carb foods that may push your sugar up (within range) to help with keeping control, especially when working out.