Some good news...

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last summer I came onto this website for support after I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Since most of my relatives over 60 have diabetes I was very upset but not totally surprised.

I made an appointment to see my GP and got a small rise in my thyroid medication which enabled me to sustain optimal thyroid levels for the past year. Without the thyroid hormones being optimal I can't lose weight even in a calorie deficit.

I read a lot about low-carb eating on this website and began to put this into practice. Now my thyroid hormones were optimal I was able to lose weight and I have put my diabetes into remission. Since last August I have lost nearly three stone in weight, my BMI has gone from 32 to 26 and I am much stronger and fitter. My last Hba1c was 41!

Thank you to those who are supportive and encouraging of others. Please be aware when you discuss weight issues that many of us have thyroid issues which can make weight loss impossible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buzzer81

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely spectacular results. Great job and well-deserved. Thank you for the reminder that for many of us, it might not always be easy to lose weight.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!

And sooooo true that other health issues play a huge part in weight control - way beyond the simplistic view that calories in/calories out are the Be All and End All.

Am so pleased for you that you have found the answer for you.

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely spectacular results. Great job and well-deserved. Thank you for the reminder that for many of us, it might not always be easy to lose weight.
Thank you :)
I've read that insulin resistance can make weight loss very difficult so even without thyroid issues many of us will struggle.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last summer I came onto this website for support after I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Since most of my relatives over 60 have diabetes I was very upset but not totally surprised.

I made an appointment to see my GP and got a small rise in my thyroid medication which enabled me to sustain optimal thyroid levels for the past year. Without the thyroid hormones being optimal I can't lose weight even in a calorie deficit.

I read a lot about low-carb eating on this website and began to put this into practice. Now my thyroid hormones were optimal I was able to lose weight and I have put my diabetes into remission. Since last August I have lost nearly three stone in weight, my BMI has gone from 32 to 26 and I am much stronger and fitter. My last Hba1c was 42!

Thank you to those who are supportive and encouraging of others. Please be aware when you discuss weight issues that many of us have thyroid issues which can make weight loss impossible.
Excellent work!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on such a great result. I agree that the question of weight is often viewed simplistically. This is one of the reasons I love this site- with such amazing people with diverse backgrounds the combined knowledge is awesome. I am so grateful to all those who helped me.

liza_h

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on such a great result. I agree that the question of weight is often viewed simplistically. This is one of the reasons I love this site- with such amazing people with diverse backgrounds the combined knowledge is awesome. I am so grateful to all those who helped me.
Thank you - yes this site has been a godsend.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Well done @liza_h That's amazing work, never easy but the benefits are huge !!