1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Some good news...

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by liza_h, Jun 10, 2020.

1. liza_h

liza_h Prediabetes · Active Member

Last summer I came onto this website for support after I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Since most of my relatives over 60 have diabetes I was very upset but not totally surprised.

I made an appointment to see my GP and got a small rise in my thyroid medication which enabled me to sustain optimal thyroid levels for the past year. Without the thyroid hormones being optimal I can't lose weight even in a calorie deficit.

I read a lot about low-carb eating on this website and began to put this into practice. Now my thyroid hormones were optimal I was able to lose weight and I have put my diabetes into remission. Since last August I have lost nearly three stone in weight, my BMI has gone from 32 to 26 and I am much stronger and fitter. My last Hba1c was 41!

Thank you to those who are supportive and encouraging of others. Please be aware when you discuss weight issues that many of us have thyroid issues which can make weight loss impossible.

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #1 liza_h, Jun 10, 2020 at 5:10 PM
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  2. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Absolutely spectacular results. Great job and well-deserved. Thank you for the reminder that for many of us, it might not always be easy to lose weight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Well done!

And sooooo true that other health issues play a huge part in weight control - way beyond the simplistic view that calories in/calories out are the Be All and End All.

Am so pleased for you that you have found the answer for you.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. liza_h

Thank you :)
    I've read that insulin resistance can make weight loss very difficult so even without thyroid issues many of us will struggle.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Excellent work!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations on such a great result. I agree that the question of weight is often viewed simplistically. This is one of the reasons I love this site- with such amazing people with diverse backgrounds the combined knowledge is awesome. I am so grateful to all those who helped me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. liza_h

Thank you - yes this site has been a godsend.

8. liza_h

Thank you!

9. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Well done @liza_h That's amazing work, never easy but the benefits are huge !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook