Need help - feeling pathetic

toddy35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear all

I was diagnosed T2 about 10days ago. My GP and nurse are worse than useless and told me I don't need a meter and to have porridge every day and avoid fat & sugar. Literally that's all the support I've been offered. Anyway having read on here about the value of testing before/after meals I wrote off and asked Contour for a free meter which they've been good enough to supply. Having received it today I've tried three times to get enough blood for a test and failed. What am I doing wrong, how much do I need.
I have cut down on carbs but hovering around the 30g a day mark, I've no idea how you're managing on <20? That would seem to exclude any veg at all ? I only have courgettes/broccoli/cauliflower/peppers.Finding it hard to down all the water but I'll stick at that.
Someone please help me get these meter readings. I feel utterly useless.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What setting is your Lancet and which part of your finger are you pricking?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @toddy35 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Blood wise, I normally draw out a raindrop's worth.
Touch the end of the strip to the blood drop & allow the blood to get taken in by capillary action.

Hope this helps.

toddy35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @toddy35 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Blood wise, I normally draw out a raindrop's worth.
Touch the end of the strip to the blood drop & allow the blood to get taken in by capillary action.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much,' a raindrop worth' that's what I needed to know. I tried three times but I'm leaving it until tomorrow now I'm too harassed just now.
My lancet is set to number three and I tried my thumb, index finger and middle finger.
Thanks for the links.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thank you so much,' a raindrop worth' that's what I needed to know. I tried three times but I'm leaving it until tomorrow now I'm too harassed just now.
My lancet is set to number three and I tried my thumb, index finger and middle finger.
Thanks for the links.

Are you using the sides of your fingers?

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the links.

Try setting the number on the lancet a little higher on your next go?
Sorry it wasn't very "scientific" or specific on the volume. Just think of a standard water bead on a freshly waxed car or window?

It'll probably help take your mind off the lancet too! :)

Reactions: toddy35 and porl69

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear all

I was diagnosed T2 about 10days ago. My GP and nurse are worse than useless and told me I don't need a meter and to have porridge every day and avoid fat & sugar. Literally that's all the support I've been offered. Anyway having read on here about the value of testing before/after meals I wrote off and asked Contour for a free meter which they've been good enough to supply. Having received it today I've tried three times to get enough blood for a test and failed. What am I doing wrong, how much do I need.
I have cut down on carbs but hovering around the 30g a day mark, I've no idea how you're managing on <20? That would seem to exclude any veg at all ? I only have courgettes/broccoli/cauliflower/peppers.Finding it hard to down all the water but I'll stick at that.
Prick on the side of your finger, not straight on the pad like in all the online stock photographs, because that will end up being one very, very sore spot, with a lot of nerve-endingsbeing angry with you. You shouldn't need a whole lot of blood (I have a contour too), a decent drop should be enough, touch it to the side, not under. Should suck it up. You might want to set the lancet to pierce a little deeper, or you might want to warm up your hands a bit to promote bloodflow. (wash with warm water for instance, just be sure to try off thoroughly).

As for how I manage 20 grams of carbs a day: I don't have breakfast during weekdays, just tea. On the weekend it's eggs, cheese and bacon (though bacon's price has gone up here lately, so I'm cutting back, alas), or soft boiled eggs with plenty of salt. No carbs worth mentioning there. Lunch (or on weekdays, delayed breakfast), is usually some sort of tuna salad. Leafy greens optional, as they always turn brown when i don't want them to, i go with a few boiled eggs, olives, capers, a can of tuna, pepper salt and a lot of mayo. In the evening I'll go for more cheese with my cauliflower rice and meat/pountry/fish. For variety I might have scrambled eggs with a chunk of Ikea salmon or add some erythritol/stevia mix sweetener, cinnamon and maybe some berries and cream for a sweet-ish omelet. I don't usually snack throughout the day unless I'm doing my emotional-eating thing in times of crisis, but if I do want to have a little treat I have a spoon of low carb icecream straight after dinner (Oppo's an option), or some extra dark chocolate. Or, the odd cup of espresso with a mountain of unsweetened whipped cream. So it all goes with the same insulin-response as dinner. When out and about I usually have very little, if any, trouble finding a place where I can stick to my diet. Most places will serve eggs sunny side up, and they usually don't mind holding the bread, or bun if I ask for a burger with some extra greens/mushrooms/bacon/whatevermyoptionsare, salads go over well, especially salmon salads... Hold the croutons of course, and if there's dressing, you might want to swap it for olive oil or mayo. Most places 'll have that option. All in all, I am big on meats, fish and poultry, all of which are low to no carb, depending on how they're prepared and how processed they are... Eggs too, obviously. ;)

At the moment you're at 30 grams a day, that's already a vast reduction in carbs, and you might be feeling the effects of that. It's called carb flu or keto flu, and it WILL pass, so stick with it, just have some extra bone broth or coconut milk to supplement your electrolytes. Just takes a bit for your body to adjust to the new normal. Same with any eyetrouble you might be having. If you had glucose distorting your vision for a while and your bran's been compensating for it, itll take a while for it to get clued in and not do that anymore. So don't rush off to a Specsavers, when a 5 bob reading spec'll tide you over for a week or two.

Reactions: toddy35

toddy35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prick on the side of your finger, not straight on the pad like in all the online stock photographs, because that will end up being one very, very sore spot, with a lot of nerve-endingsbeing angry with you. You shouldn't need a whole lot of blood (I have a contour too), a decent drop should be enough, touch it to the side, not under. Should suck it up. You might want to set the lancet to pierce a little deeper, or you might want to warm up your hands a bit to promote bloodflow. (wash with warm water for instance, just be sure to try off thoroughly).

As for how I manage 20 grams of carbs a day: I don't have breakfast during weekdays, just tea. On the weekend it's eggs, cheese and bacon (though bacon's price has gone up here lately, so I'm cutting back, alas), or soft boiled eggs with plenty of salt. No carbs worth mentioning there. Lunch (or on weekdays, delayed breakfast), is usually some sort of tuna salad. Leafy greens optional, as they always turn brown when i don't want them to, i go with a few boiled eggs, olives, capers, a can of tuna, pepper salt and a lot of mayo. In the evening I'll go for more cheese with my cauliflower rice and meat/pountry/fish. For variety I might have scrambled eggs with a chunk of Ikea salmon or add some erythritol/stevia mix sweetener, cinnamon and maybe some berries and cream for a sweet-ish omelet. I don't usually snack throughout the day unless I'm doing my emotional-eating thing in times of crisis, but if I do want to have a little treat I have a spoon of low carb icecream straight after dinner (Oppo's an option), or some extra dark chocolate. Or, the odd cup of espresso with a mountain of unsweetened whipped cream. So it all goes with the same insulin-response as dinner. When out and about I usually have very little, if any, trouble finding a place where I can stick to my diet. Most places will serve eggs sunny side up, and they usually don't mind holding the bread, or bun if I ask for a burger with some extra greens/mushrooms/bacon/whatevermyoptionsare, salads go over well, especially salmon salads... Hold the croutons of course, and if there's dressing, you might want to swap it for olive oil or mayo. Most places 'll have that option. All in all, I am big on meats, fish and poultry, all of which are low to no carb, depending on how they're prepared and how processed they are... Eggs too, obviously. ;)

At the moment you're at 30 grams a day, that's already a vast reduction in carbs, and you might be feeling the effects of that. It's called carb flu or keto flu, and it WILL pass, so stick with it, just have some extra bone broth or coconut milk to supplement your electrolytes. Just takes a bit for your body to adjust to the new normal. Same with any eyetrouble you might be having. If you had glucose distorting your vision for a while and your bran's been compensating for it, itll take a while for it to get clued in and not do that anymore. So don't rush off to a Specsavers, when a 5 bob reading spec'll tide you over for a week or two.

Thank you so much, that was helpful. I am doing a similar fast time, circa 16:8 so I don't eat until lunchtime and usually just eggs & ham. I will try to drop lower than 30g carbs but I really do need the veg for digestive purposes although I'm trying some inulin in my water to help with that. I also hadn't thought about heating my hands up, it's cold here today in NE Scotland so that could've played a part.

toddy35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry it wasn't very "scientific" or specific on the volume. Just think of a standard water bead on a freshly waxed car or window?

Your advice was perfect, I just needed a visual idea of how much was required. I'll aim for a raindrop next time. Thanks again, it's sincerely meant

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much, that was helpful. I am doing a similar fast time, circa 16:8 so I don't eat until lunchtime and usually just eggs & ham. I will try to drop lower than 30g carbs but I really do need the veg for digestive purposes although I'm trying some inulin in my water to help with that. I also hadn't thought about heating my hands up, it's cold here today in NE Scotland so that could've played a part.
I have a decent amount of cauliflower (or broccoli, or spinach and whatnot....), and that amounts to less than 10 grams of carbs. That's a large amount of veg to go with a meal. ;) It just depends on what kind of veg you have... Above ground, leafy greens, perfection... Some are okay with pulses, i'm not, so test for that and you'll know. But hey, if you're okay at 30 grams per day, go with that.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Dear all

good job on getting a meter on your own! I did the same, an essential tool for creating an action plan.

Perminder1

Raindrop seems a like a lot I need about half that for glucolab to come to life and check

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your advice was perfect, I just needed a visual idea of how much was required. I'll aim for a raindrop next time. Thanks again, it's sincerely meant
I use about this much with my TEE2+ meter some others require a bit more. You stick the end of the strip into the blood, don't try to put the blood onto the strip. If you are having trouble getting enough blood wash your hands in hot water first.

Blood drop.JPG

toddy35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use about this much with my TEE2+ meter some others require a bit more. You stick the end of the strip into the blood, don't try to put the blood onto the strip. If you are having trouble getting enough blood wash your hands in hot water first.

View attachment 41995
Thank you I easily had that much, I suspect I just need a bit more for the meter I have. Thanks so much for posting though and especially for the image.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Or you could pester your GP like me and get one from them plus the supply of lancets and test strips as needed
Unfortunately most T2's will only get a big fat 'No' response when trying to get them on prescription (unless on blood-glucose lowering drugs - and even then it may be a fight) :( It is worth a try but it sounds like the toddy35's doc and nurse probably aren't going to be persuaded

Reactions: toddy35