Frozen Shoulder

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.
Hi to all,

On Wednesday I had to go to orthopedics for an appointment as I have frozen shoulder in my left shoulder really painfull have a high arm sling and phyiso is phoning me today with regards to phyiso I dont know how it will work with me not seeing her.

My blood sugars was 10.1 yesterday for most of the day.

When i saw consultant he said when doctors reopen I need referal to rheumatologist.
So will have to see what happens.

Sparklebrightisright.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Speaking as someone who has had two frozen shoulders, and received physio for the second but not the first, they do recover a bit faster with physio, but it's mainly a (potentially long) waiting game. But I have heard that there a number of treatments that may help, so I hope you get some relief.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I go with @EllieM
I've had two. The first one was a complete mess. GP clueless, X-rays, heavy drugs, constipation big time and a hopeless physio. Second one on the other shoulder I got another physio, who was really on the ball. Deep massages on back muscles, serious stretching exercises and have continued them ever since. They may seem like h**l at first but gently does it and slowly they come back.
Kept well away from injections, though some say they have helped... preferred longer slower approach and fortunately it worked for me.
Good luck.

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I dislike people who judge me for my weight i have lots of problems was born very premature which resulted in lots of health problems since i was little still affect me today.
Hi to all,

Will see what the phyiso says when she phones me not looking forward to this @t all.
Is this a type 2 problem as looking on net its saying its to do with type 1 diabetes which has confused me even more.!!!!!!!

Sparklebrightisright.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi to all,

Will see what the phyiso says when she phones me not looking forward to this @t all.
Is this a type 2 problem as looking on net its saying its to do with type 1 diabetes which has confused me even more.!!!!!!!

Sparklebrightisright.
My physio did say that she saw more T1's with the condition but that a fair proportion were T2's.... and I think there are more T2's than T1's..
if that helps!!

Lilylala

Hi I have posted on this subject a few times
Myself type 2
Currently have 2 frozen shoulder
1st caused by injured shoulder 2 years ago left shoulder
2nd just before Christmas over use compensating for left side
Physiotherapy didn't help caused too !such pain
Referred to surgeon January , had hydrodistension with cortisol injection in left side
Very little extra movement even after physiotherapy 5 weeks later
Current situation.... Was booked to have arthroscopic shoulder surgery on left had also whilst under anaesthetic having hydrodistension with cortisol and manipulation on the right but covid 19 hit so was cancelled
I have very limited movement in both arms about 90 degrees , bilateral movement can't put hand behind my back or on hips have help to dress.
Can't sleep , hands go numb and now have reynauds and turn blue and are freezing cold.

So yes I can sympathise with any one who has this crippling condition

Reactions: lindaburner

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Might be clutching at straws here, but when I have problems with my shoulders I get out the long bolster and sleep draped over that, so it takes my weight rather than the shoulder joints. it encourages my arms and shoulders to move forward, stretching the muscles.
If I ever feel that raising my arms is getting problematic, I bring out the bolster straight away and the twinges normally fade away in a couple of days.

Reactions: Struma

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I am type 2 and had a frozen shoulder, I had physio instructions given to me but this was too painful, after a year got to see the consultant and had my first injection, a few weeks later I felt great and thought it had gone but it came back with a vengence. A few months later had the second injection and it did nothing so did not bother to have the third one. I found hot water in the shower helped the most. I cannot take aspirin as had severe reaction when I used to get asthma so took tumeric and ginger for pain relief. I make my own body butter due to my allergies and read that hemp oil and frankinsence essential oil is good for pain and shea butter helps with softening ligaments that have stiffened in the long term so combined all three. People who don't make body butter could put some drops of frankinscence in hemp oil and rub on shea butter at a different time. Thankfully I don't have it now but do get some shoulder ache at times if use the phone bending my head down and using the computer moving the mouse. I have read that people with diabetes have a tendency to suffer from cold shoulders and you can get in the other shoulder as well. Only about 10 per cent of people are type 1 diabetics so that is why more people with type 2 develope the condition.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Speaking as someone who has had two frozen shoulders, and received physio for the second but not the first, they do recover a bit faster with physio, but it's mainly a (potentially long) waiting game. But I have heard that there a number of treatments that may help, so I hope you get some relief.

I have two frozen shoulders, I had physio for the first one, the left shoulder and a cortisone injection ( that was painful) I still have them and I have pain and restricted movement, but still manage to do things, by keeping active with exercise and some stretching.

Reactions: hankjam

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi to all,

Thanks everyone for your reply s I do have a boalster pillow but laying on it or with my arm down my side is very painful...
I have done the exercises phyiso sent me they were not to bad but have 2 shoulders hurting now lol.
2 shoulders stiffness.

Sparklebrightisright.

Lilylala

Might be clutching at straws here, but when I have problems with my shoulders I get out the long bolster and sleep draped over that, so it takes my weight rather than the shoulder joints. it encourages my arms and shoulders to move forward, stretching the muscles.
If I ever feel that raising my arms is getting problematic, I bring out the bolster straight away and the twinges normally fade away in a couple of days.
Yes my husband referred my cushion to the third person in our matrimonial bed ....ha...ha it does help , but I always wake-up on my back with my arms crossed in the undertaker mortuary position .... Maybe my body's telling me something?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, just to say I have 1 frozen shoulder (left) which has been in the freezing process and completely frozen now for 20 months. It’s not painful anymore (when it was I’d never felt pain like it, it knocked me off my feet several times!) and my right is also in the early stages of freezing.

I saw the top physio at our hospital, who had handily just been to a conference about it, and he basically told me that nothing helps! Although injections and stretching may seem to be helping in the short term, it’s best to let nature take its course.
He also told me if I had one, it’s likely the second one would freeze (as it is now) and that I was just in the right demographic: female, Type 1, over 35.

I try and laugh about it now, as otherwise it would be miserable, but my boyfriend thinks it’s hilarious watching me trying to put on a jacket, and I have to pull our kitchen blind down with a potato masher!!

ChristieM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had two frozen shoulders, many years apart. I found both times that a regular shoulder massage helped a great deal with the pain although not with mobility, which eventually sorted itself out. Unfortunately you can only get 6 sessions on the nhs and it can get a bit expensive. But worth it if you can afford it,

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had one on my dominant arm a year or so before diabetes diagnosis. Physio did nothing except cause pain, 2 cortisone jabs did nothing. I had less than 45 degree from vertical lift, was on serious painkillers that left me a zombie and still in pain and discovering a new drug allergy along the way. Ended up at surgery as I couldn’t function. Capsular release (scraping out the joint basically) not the one where they force it around , and also some bone shaved off to allow more room for the nerves. The first week post op was awful and I thought it was a mistake but quickly saw improvement after that. 3 or 4 yrs post op now. It’s never been totally right since but I got all the movement back, just some twinges and pinching feelings at full extension and still some muscular weakness despite my nhs 6 physio sessions! Probably could do with doing more but I’m sure there is some permanent nerve damage giving me pins and needles easily as a result/positioning. Coming off the painkillers was not funny either. Never taking them again
Despite the lasting niggles I’d do it again as life was literally unbearable and the surgeon cheerfully showed me pics of the surgery saying it was the “best” one he’d done in ages it was so messy in the before pics. :woot:

Sparklebrightisright

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi HSSS,

This is my 2nd frozen shoulder had one on right years ago and had an op to unfreeze it was agony afterwards had morphine tabs just hope I dont need an op on my left one its been a bit better then gets worse again unfortunately I've done exercises but they not helped much phyiso is phoning me back next week so will have to see how I go.

Sparklebrightisright.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi HSSS,

This is my 2nd frozen shoulder had one on right years ago and had an op to unfreeze it was agony afterwards had morphine tabs just hope I dont need an op on my left one its been a bit better then gets worse again unfortunately I've done exercises but they not helped much phyiso is phoning me back next week so will have to see how I go.

Sparklebrightisright.
Wishing you all the luck this time. If you do end up in surgery again get the different options explained. Most use the Original brute force tear the adhesions method. Some use the One I had capsular Release. I’m currently worried about my same right shoulder and praying it’s just some muscle strain from my new job (lots of repetitive arm movements!)

Lilylala

So just a update ..... So due to covid and my April booked operation cancelled I am pleased to say I am finally getting my left shoulder athroscopy and right shoulder hydro distension done 16th September I know it's going to hurt but I have been living with pain for 2 years and hopefully be on the road to recovery