T1D & Cocktails

hannahmaria94

Hey everyone, happy Friday!

I need some tips on how to keep control of my blood sugar levels when drinking cocktails.

I currently put on a temp basal to stop my bloods crashing during the night and bolus for the juice in the cocktails, however, my bloods still seem to always rise pretty high (sometimes up to 18mmol)

How do you all control your sugars when out drinking?

Thanks!
Hannah

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I find cocktails raise my BGs hugely. I now stick to either rum and diet coke OR gin and diet tonic when I go out

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same here, I don't go near the sugar laden cocktails (for a start I don't want to have to inject a whole load of times through a night out and deal with the hypos later), I just go for drinks with diet mixers - far easier for me

Reactions: Ash92
C

CelalDari

Hey everyone, happy Friday!

I need some tips on how to keep control of my blood sugar levels when drinking cocktails.

I currently put on a temp basal to stop my bloods crashing during the night and bolus for the juice in the cocktails, however, my bloods still seem to always rise pretty high (sometimes up to 18mmol)

How do you all control your sugars when out drinking?

Thanks!
Hannah

It really is difficult to say as everyone’s body reacts differently to alcohol.

Based off of BERTIE course guidelines, alcohol on an empty stomach can lower BG and alcohol on a full stomach can increase BG.

How much are you reducing your temporary basal by? You might be giving yourself too little insulin hence the highs of 18 mmol/L. If you’re worried about hypos you could always have a slice of whole meal toast before bed

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It really is difficult to say as everyone’s body reacts differently to alcohol.

Based off of BERTIE course guidelines, alcohol on an empty stomach can lower BG and alcohol on a full stomach can increase BG.

How much are you reducing your temporary basal by? You might be giving yourself too little insulin hence the highs of 18 mmol/L. If you’re worried about hypos you could always have a slice of whole meal toast before bed

Top tip, CelalDari, from one who has been a round for a while.

Where a thread was last active (before your entry) 23 weeks ago, it is worthwhile look at the person you intend to respond to's profile. In this instance it shows hannahmaria23 was last seen almost 6 months ago.

upload_2020-6-12_12-59-37.png

On that basis, she's less likely to see what you have written.

Reactions: Rokaab