1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

T1D & Cocktails

Discussion in 'Young People/Adults' started by hannahmaria94, Jan 3, 2020.

1. hannahmaria94

hannahmaria94 · Newbie

Hey everyone, happy Friday!

I need some tips on how to keep control of my blood sugar levels when drinking cocktails.

I currently put on a temp basal to stop my bloods crashing during the night and bolus for the juice in the cocktails, however, my bloods still seem to always rise pretty high (sometimes up to 18mmol)

How do you all control your sugars when out drinking?

Thanks!
    Hannah

2. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find cocktails raise my BGs hugely. I now stick to either rum and diet coke OR gin and diet tonic when I go out

3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Same here, I don't go near the sugar laden cocktails (for a start I don't want to have to inject a whole load of times through a night out and deal with the hypos later), I just go for drinks with diet mixers - far easier for me

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. CelalDari

CelalDari · Guest

It really is difficult to say as everyone’s body reacts differently to alcohol.

Based off of BERTIE course guidelines, alcohol on an empty stomach can lower BG and alcohol on a full stomach can increase BG.

How much are you reducing your temporary basal by? You might be giving yourself too little insulin hence the highs of 18 mmol/L. If you’re worried about hypos you could always have a slice of whole meal toast before bed

5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Top tip, CelalDari, from one who has been a round for a while.

Where a thread was last active (before your entry) 23 weeks ago, it is worthwhile look at the person you intend to respond to's profile. In this instance it shows hannahmaria23 was last seen almost 6 months ago.

upload_2020-6-12_12-59-37.png

On that basis, she's less likely to see what you have written.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook