Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. Will call tomorrow
Let us know what happens!
I'll have my fingers crossed you do have a stupid hidden infection or such and things will be back to normal in a couple of days with antibiotics.
Not that I think T2 is great fun but I have a hunch you prefer that one over T1. Should it turn out you were misdiagnosed, well, you know where to find us on that one as well and you'll be fine.

Just to make sure, you haven't had steroids in any form lately, have you?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Flora123 ,

I'm not certain what diabetes medication you are taking?
But you seem to be on (if not near.) a ketogenic diet? Which can cause nominal traces of ketones. Which would be acceptable with BGs in safe parameters.

However your BG appears to be higher, around & over 15mmol for a prolonged period.
Keep a close eye on both BG & ketone levels.
& don't hesitate to call 111 for a medical advisor. I used the 111 service once for a friend in difficulty . They can help & will dispatch an ambulance if need be..

Kind regards.

Reactions: Flora123

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In this instance, I'd suggest forgetting ketosis. Ketosis is usually associated with much lower blood glucose.

High blood glucose, plus ketones are amber lights at best, I'd say.

Please heed the NHS guidelines in this instance.

Better safe than sorry, if you have ketones to any degree.

I wonder if @Juicyj , @Antje77 or @Jaylee are around to comment.

I could be wrong, Flora, but it's not to be messed with, in my view.

Thanks

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Let us know what happens!
I'll have my fingers crossed you do have a stupid hidden infection or such and things will be back to normal in a couple of days with antibiotics.
Not that I think T2 is great fun but I have a hunch you prefer that one over T1. Should it turn out you were misdiagnosed, well, you know where to find us on that one as well and you'll be fine.

Just to make sure, you haven't had steroids in any form lately, have you?

Thanks. No steroids!

Reactions: Antje77

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Flora123 ,

I'm not certain what diabetes medication you are taking?
But you seem to be on (if not near.) a ketogenic diet? Which can cause nominal traces of ketones. Which would be acceptable with BGs in safe parameters.

However your BG appears to be higher, around & over 15mmol for a prolonged period.
Keep a close eye on both BG & ketone levels.
& don't hesitate to call 111 for a medical advisor. I used the 111 service once for a friend in difficulty . They can help & will dispatch an ambulance if need be..

Kind regards.

Thanks for your reply. No meds at all. BG 17 this morning and ketones 1.5. Still no symptoms but off to call 111. Thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply. No meds at all. BG 17 this morning and ketones 1.5. Still no symptoms but off to call 111. Thanks

Better safe than sorry Flora. If your GP is bewildered you're not moving forward with him. As time goes on, you (and probably your GP) do need help and support with this.

Please don't think I'm having a go at your GP, but if he has no clue, then he can send an email to a consultant for guidance. They're usually quite responsive, as those emails tend to go into a departmental central email inbox, where they're picked off by the on-call consultant. My own GP used the system very well when she was scratching her head over my very atypical thyroid issues.

Please let us know how you get along.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update- I’m at hospital for lots of checks. I left home early this morning so not eaten. They want me to eat biscuits!!! I’m not hungry and having not touched anything like that for years. The nurse said of course I have ketones as I haven’t eaten. My blood glucose will go through the roof if I do. Would you or just stay fasting until I can get something nutritious?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Flora123 ,
I'm glad you're at the hospital. I suppose you've already decided on bicuits yay or nay, but in this case I'd eat them. Your bg is already through the roof and if a couple of biscuits send you even higher they'll have a clearer picture of what is going on.

(Forum was down or almost down for hours today, hence the lack of response!)

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Flora123 ,
I'm glad you're at the hospital. I suppose you've already decided on bicuits yay or nay, but in this case I'd eat them. Your bg is already through the roof and if a couple of biscuits send you even higher they'll have a clearer picture of what is going on.

(Forum was down or almost down for hours today, hence the lack of response!)

Thanks. Fortunately later they were offering sandwiches to everyone waiting so I scooped the contents out and ate that.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. I'd get on with the biccies.

Whilst a wholly different set of circumstances, when I had a day case op, I had to eat before I went home. I was offered from a variety of sandwiches, plus crisps, biscuits cakes and so on.

To be candid, my view was the sandwich was the trigger to going home. Nothing more. Nothing less. It wasn't a good sandwich, but I couldn't be bothered to argue. This was in the days prior to going gluten-free. Today, I'd have the GF sandwich.

Flora, to be honest, if your blood sugars go higher, it will only amplify your need for help. It if makes you feel unwell, you are in the best place to get help.

My finger are crossed for you.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree. I'd get on with the biccies.

Whilst a wholly different set of circumstances, when I had a day case op, I had to eat before I went home. I was offered from a variety of sandwiches, plus crisps, biscuits cakes and so on.

To be candid, my view was the sandwich was the trigger to going home. Nothing more. Nothing less. It wasn't a good sandwich, but I couldn't be bothered to argue. This was in the days prior to going gluten-free. Today, I'd have the GF sandwich.

Flora, to be honest, if your blood sugars go higher, it will only amplify your need for help. It if makes you feel unwell, you are in the best place to get help.

My finger are crossed for you.

Thank you. They aren’t testing BG again so it won’t make any difference. Had a full MOT and so far so good!

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi flora

I'm literally going through exactly the same thing.

My figures were normal but last few weeks they have been averaging around 15.0 with ketones between 2.0 and 3.0.

How did you end up in hospital? I called 111 last night and the gp, who I don't think knew much about ketoacidosis, basically told me not to worry about it.

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Flora

I'm really concerned for my health now. I can't see any difference between our situations yet the advice for yourself was to go to hospital and for me it was to wait until 25th june for an endocrinologist appointment.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes it could be an infection etc but the GP ought to consider LADA as a possibility. Obviously if the BS continues to rise and stays in the 20s then you need to call 111 etc. LADA (T1) can come on at widely varying rates so remains a possibility.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Flora

I'm really concerned for my health now. I can't see any difference between our situations yet the advice for yourself was to go to hospital and for me it was to wait until 25th june for an endocrinologist appointment.

I’ve been thinking of you and your situation.
Gav it would be best to push to get it checked. Quote the NHS guidelines to them. I think they are in one of my posts highlighted.

I’m surprised at the number of tests I’m having. They totally understand DKA and my blood gases seem to confirm there is no acidosis. However they can’t seem to get their heads round low carb WOE. I need carbs etc and the fact I have ketones means I’m starving myself . I asked the doctor if he thought my diet, which I reeled out was either starvation or bad. He was shocked and said no it was excellent but I must crave carbs. I said no. They are an addiction and not necessary. He backed down and changed the subject.

I have ketones because I have barely eaten yesterday. They went down a lot probably because I had a sandwich which would knock me out of ketosis, yet put my BG very high. They were happy at the low ketones but of course this morning they are high again, but blood glucose lower.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi flora

How did you end up in hospital? I called 111 last night and the gp, who I don't think knew much about ketoacidosis, basically told me not to worry about it.

Sorry forgot to answer this bit. I called 111, had a call from a doc and was sent to hospital.

Your case is almost identical. Might be worth trying again and as I said, quote the nhs guidelines to them.

I have been asked several times why I was worried and said about their guidelines and they just nod. Good luck but please don’t leave it any longer. There is also a list of symptoms of DKA which you can refer to. I had/ have none of them.

I can’t remember if you follow a LCHF diet.

gav_red

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Flora

Glad you're ok!!

Thanks for sharing what happened at the hospital, sounds like they were thorough with all the testing.

It's reassuring that someone in the same position is ok but I'm going to take your advice and give 111 a call this morning.

Gav

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been thinking of you and your situation.
Gav it would be best to push to get it checked. Quote the NHS guidelines to them. I think they are in one of my posts highlighted.

I’m surprised at the number of tests I’m having. They totally understand DKA and my blood gases seem to confirm there is no acidosis. However they can’t seem to get their heads round low carb WOE. I need carbs etc and the fact I have ketones means I’m starving myself . I asked the doctor if he thought my diet, which I reeled out was either starvation or bad. He was shocked and said no it was excellent but I must crave carbs. I said no. They are an addiction and not necessary. He backed down and changed the subject.

I have ketones because I have barely eaten yesterday. They went down a lot probably because I had a sandwich which would knock me out of ketosis, yet put my BG very high. They were happy at the low ketones but of course this morning they are high again, but blood glucose lower.

Where are you now, Flora? Wherever you are, your story continues. Whatever you do, don't just take the "uou're fine" line, which I would view as a thinly veiled "too complicated for me. I'll send back to primary care and hope someone else picks it up next time".

I'm not suggesting those are the word in their heads, but that would be, in my head, what it meant, and I would be frustrated and probably quite angry. (Been there, done that - once - with my thyroid)

Unfortunately, whilst now is not the time you feel it, this is the time when you have to be quite assertive and robust in your approach. There will never be a stronger advocate for our own health as ourselves.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where are you now, Flora? Wherever you are, your story continues. Whatever you do, don't just take the "uou're fine" line, which I would view as a thinly veiled "too complicated for me. I'll send back to primary care and hope someone else picks it up next time".

I'm not suggesting those are the word in their heads, but that would be, in my head, what it meant, and I would be frustrated and probably quite angry. (Been there, done that - once - with my thyroid)

Unfortunately, whilst now is not the time you feel it, this is the time when you have to be quite assertive and robust in your approach. There will never be a stronger advocate for our own health as ourselves.

Hi. I’m still I hospital. All very slow but caring and thorough. Waiting to see the diabetic team. All bloods again this morning are fine. (Except BG and ketones)
Ketones high as is BG but I haven’t eaten as all I’ve been offered is toast, biscuits or Cereal. . I’ll hold out for lunch as I’m sure if my blood glucose goes it will throw them

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I’m still I hospital. All very slow but caring and thorough. Waiting to see the diabetic team. All bloods again this morning are fine. (Except BG and ketones)
Ketones high as is BG but I haven’t eaten as all I’ve been offered is toast, biscuits or Cereal. . I’ll hold out for lunch as I’m sure if my blood glucose goes it will throw them

Excellent. Sounds like they're taking an interest. I'd have been very concerned if you had been sent home.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.