ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You'll be waiting a very long time then...or at least you will for one that "works".
The Oxford one should be here in July. Astrazeneca has started on its manufacture of billion vaccines order in India, as the trials have been 100% successful to date. They're testing further here and in Brazil. Well, October on their website now. :( Shopping will have to wait.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Oxford one should be here in July. Astrazeneca has started on its manufacture of billion vaccines order in India, as the trials have been 100% successful to date. They're testing further here and in Brazil. Well, October on their website now. :( Shopping will have to wait.

The testing for this is extremely fast, by comparison to other launches, as I understand things. Would you be happy to be in at the front of the queue for the vaccine?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
The testing for this is extremely fast, by comparison to other launches, as I understand things. Would you be happy to be in at the front of the queue for the vaccine?
Wow. How do you get to the front of the queue for the vaccine? I tried to get onto the trial and was rejected as I'm type 1.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am definitely not anti vaccinations but I am quite happy to let a few million people try a new one before me.

Reactions: Flora123

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. How do you get to the front of the queue for the vaccine? I tried to get onto the trial and was rejected as I type 1.

Ert, to be clear, I wasn't offering any facilitation, I was merely enquiring if you would be an early adopter, which your response clarifies, thanks.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Really I thought it was said supply should start at the end of 2020.

https://www.ovg.ox.ac.uk/news/astra...f-oxford-university2019s-vaccine-at-no-profit

https://covid19vaccinetrial.co.uk/phase-iiiii-trial-explained

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Shopping no, vaccine yes.
I’m 70 and T1, husband’s 73, and we have a very lovely next door neighbour; she whatsapped us as soon as lockdown was announced to say she’d do our shopping and collect from the pharmacy. I’ve bought a few things online too, and now that the panic’s dying down we’ve been able to get supermarket delivery slots. Without our lovely neighbour though we’d have been joining the old folks early morning throng in our local supermarket. A bit of me’s sad as apparently it was a grand gossipfest, and the social interaction’s one of the things we’re missing most. Zoom’s just not the same, but a good laugh’s a mighty superspreader.
If the vaccine’s been thoroughly tested, tested again, retested and trialled then I want it! However, the virus is mutating, will no doubt continue to mutate, and I suspect there won’t be a one size fits all solution. Call me dismal, but it is is a corona.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I for one am getting more pessimistic about a vaccine every day there is no vaccine for SARS after all.

And though the Oxford vaccine looks promising they say, it didn't pass the first animal trials very well although it gave some protection against pneumonia it did not prevent infection nor inhibit transmission of the virus.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
An early vaccine right now worries me. How are they conducting trials on real people? How do they know it prevents infection of Covid, and how long for? Are they subjecting these volunteers to the virus in order to do this? Are these volunteers across the board as far as age, co-morbitities, ethnic background go? What about long term side effects? As I said, the whole rush for this vaccine, and the competitive nature of the race to find one really worries me.

Tannith

BANNED
I suspect that might be the very very earliest conceivably possible. Most reports were saying September at the very earliest, not July. Personally I am not expecting to see it before the very end of December at the earliest, there are bound to be lots of snags and delays. Even then, it is to be hoped they will give it to our brave doctors and nurses first - that would be only right, especially after all the sacrifices they have made for us. Meanwhile, as there are no shops in my garden I shall be staying indoors.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
How do they know it prevents infection of Covid
They know it doesn't or didn't in the animal trials.

"
Apparently, a group of macaque monkeys were infected with COVID-19 and treated with the Oxford University experimental vaccine. The results revealed that the vaccine failed to block infection and it did not stop the animals from spreading the infection to others monkeys.
The results did reveal that the vaccine may reduce the severity of the infection, as reported by the National Institute of Health’s Rocky Mountain Laboratory—the critical observation from a Forbes article authored by former Harvard Medical School professor Dr. William Haseltine. Several Indian news outlets picked up on this story, including the Times of India as well as the Business Standard and some (but few) Western ones reported on this news as well such as Derek Lowe’s “In the Pipeline” blog in Science and the UK’s Express."

https://www.trialsitenews.com/did-o...-fail-some-troubling-questions-about-chadox1/

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that might be the very very earliest conceivably possible. Most reports were saying September at the very earliest, not July. Personally I am not expecting to see it before the very end of December at the earliest, there are bound to be lots of snags and delays. Even then, it is to be hoped they will give it to our brave doctors and nurses first - that would be only right, especially after all the sacrifices they have made for us. Meanwhile, as there are no shops in my garden I shall be staying indoors.

Tannith, I know of at least 2 doctors and other medical staff who don't want it early on. They consider the risks of having it outweigh the benefits, being otherwise healthy.

My personal confidence level that any early vaccine will be very effective are low. In my view, it will take several, if not many iterations to get anywhere close, but then we don't have a vaccine for the common cold yet.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An early vaccine right now worries me. How are they conducting trials on real people? How do they know it prevents infection of Covid, and how long for? Are they subjecting these volunteers to the virus in order to do this? Are these volunteers across the board as far as age, co-morbitities, ethnic background go? What about long term side effects? As I said, the whole rush for this vaccine, and the competitive nature of the race to find one really worries me.
Rather than derail this thread which is supposed to be about shopping I have started a new thread about the vaccine. The video I have posted might go some way to answering your questions.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/covid-19-vaccine.175103/

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been shopping because I believe that if you don't want physical shops to go out of business then we have to get on with it. I am type 1 female aged 49 and in good health otherwise so that wasn't such a great ask of me. I do not think I am crazy as the OP inferred to take a very small risk of getting infected and slightly less small risk of being seriously ill with it.
The new ab normal was in full swing in my small town local centre mall which was struggling a bit before all of this.
Waterstones greeted me with the offer of a spray down (declined) and the highlighting of my route through the shop. I had a clear idea of what I wanted so just got that. It occurred to me that my daughter might enjoy a new book as she's just been diagnosed with ADD but I decided not to browse mindful of the fact that any book I touch would have to go on to the decontamination trolley before being returned to the shelves.
Got 50% off a top in White Stuff and I am glad to see they have survived thus far. This cannot be said for Monsoon/Accessorise and Fat Face though I cannot assume that going bust is their reason for not opening up.
Dodged the one way system to visit a chocolate shop (encouraging others to join the Diabetes Club I know). Again it is a shop I like to browse in and used to enjoy the sampling opportunities offered therein.
Horrible queues outside Sports Direct and H & M; I do not think their business model works for limited numbers in store.
Fancied popping in to Marks and Spencers but not when I saw the queue.
I guess I could not have stayed out too long in town as you can get Covid from flushing the loo and the local paper is now warning us about the risk of legionnaire's disease from long dis- used water tanks!

Overall it was not enjoyable and rather sad though not as sad as it will be for those people without jobs once the furlough system peters out but a great example of how to finish off the high street and prepare us all for the 4th Industrial Revolution!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

If you mean like a 1980's movie "montage" of parading in & out of a changing booth & giving a little twirl like a "Pretty Woman" spending frenzy? ;)

Then no. It's never really been our scene..

Essential stuff. Yep,
I've just come back from a bit of foraging for food, thus into the bargain also feeding my Libre fettish at ASDA..

Reactions: Fairygodmother