Tinkleberry

Hi all,

I've been diagnosed type 1 for 10 and a half months now and im thinking about getting a pump. I have a couple of reservations that come in the form of my 20 month old and 7 week old.

Has anybody had a pump before and successfully not had it yanked out several times? This is a big concern for me.
All in all I would love a pump as I'm getting worse with my injection fear and I will be better on a pump once back at work from mat leave.

Is there anybody who could share their experience or pros/cons?

Thank you!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Tinkleberry

I appreciate you have concerns over the set being yanked out, but it's anchored to your tum so if you catch it or a little hand wants to grab it then the longest part would need to have a right good yank to pull the whole lot out, i'd admire your little ones strength if that's possible ! I've caught mine a few times on door handles as I haven't had the tubing tucked in properly, if you wear a pump belt it's easy to tuck any excess tubing away, but haven't had one come out in the 4 odd years of wearing it so unlikely to happen.

In your shoes i'd go for it, if managed well it's a game changer and particularly if you have a fear of injections, it's a no brainer IMO x

Reactions: JohnEGreen

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Tinkleberry agree mostly with what @Juicyj has said. I have been pumping for 18 months now and have had 2 sets pulled out by door handles (ouchey) and not tucking the tubes away. I have had the pump fall out of my pocket and the tube tugs a little and the pump swings but it does require a very hard tug to rip it out. IIt is aa lot of work to get the settings dialed into what works for you and does required the odd "tinkering" of the settings. Carb counting needs to be accurate as you are giving yourself micro doses of insulin ie .1 of a unit of insulin

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You've been pretty unlucky then @porl69 ;) I have to admit the first time my pump fell out of it's belt it felt a bit weird having it dangling mid air, my belt has a clip button so if I don't pop it then it can easily fall out but hasn't damaged the pump as it swings mid air.

Worst case scenario - if one does get pulled out then you'll know immediately and can do a set change pretty quickly no harm done, I have had some sore sites with set changes which you know about fairly soon after a set change and most times i literally pull it out (have steel sets so easier to do than a mio set which is teflon) and re-apply it with some medi tape, you are only changing one piece of the set so no need to change the reservoir however you do have to prime the set to ensure it's filled properly, but all of this would be covered in your training.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Tinkleberry

Thank you both for your responses, I'm glad they're positive as it is something I would love to try going forward!!

Can I ask a silly question - wear do you put the pump when you wear a dress? Haha.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you both for your responses, I'm glad they're positive as it is something I would love to try going forward!!

Can I ask a silly question - wear do you put the pump when you wear a dress? Haha.

There's a few solutions, it depends on the dress is the best answer, some dresses are clingy so I literally strap my pump to my inner thigh using a pump belt wrapped twice, looks a bit Jane Bond but works well, or I stick it in the front of my bra, as long as it's not a low cut dress this works ok too - the issue is access as very often it's a loo visit for a bolus or your pump can be set up to do it remotely via your BG meter if required, does take some working out though, but hasn't stopped me wearing any of my dresses though, just makes it a bit more interesting, no one yet has sussed I am wearing a pump yet though whilst wearing one.

Tinkleberry

There's a few solutions, it depends on the dress is the best answer, some dresses are clingy so I literally strap my pump to my inner thigh using a pump belt wrapped twice, looks a bit Jane Bond but works well, or I stick it in the front of my bra, as long as it's not a low cut dress this works ok too - the issue is access as very often it's a loo visit for a bolus or your pump can be set up to do it remotely via your BG meter if required, does take some working out though, but hasn't stopped me wearing any of my dresses though, just makes it a bit more interesting, no one yet has sussed I am wearing a pump yet though whilst wearing one.
Wow that's so great - thank you for your helpful tips! I'm looking forward to learning more about pumps and hopefully getting one in the near future