Your fasting blood sugar when first diagnosed?

TypeZero.

Just want to know what everyone’s level was. I’m trying to deduce if my body is making any insulin. I was a 19.4 mmol/L when I hadn’t eaten in 12 hours

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have just been diagnosed, you are probably still making a fair amount of insulin and this will continue for some time. All you can be sure of is that you don't have enough beta cells left to make the insulin required to keep blood glucose at normal levels.

Bear in mind that when blood glucose is 'normal' there is about a teaspoon of glucose dissolved into about 5 litres of blood. So very small changes cause big moves in blood glucose readings. Also bear in mind that glucose does not only come from meals. The liver makes it too and there are complex metabolic processes that take glucose out of the bloodstream

Reactions: ert and Marie 2

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with Mark.
But if it is any use at all, my level was 34.2.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
If you have just been diagnosed, you are probably still making a fair amount of insulin and this will continue for some time. All you can be sure of is that you don't have enough beta cells left to make the insulin required to keep blood glucose at normal levels.

Bear in mind that when blood glucose is 'normal' there is about a teaspoon of glucose dissolved into about 5 litres of blood. So very small changes cause big moves in blood glucose readings. Also bear in mind that glucose does not only come from meals. The liver makes it too and there are complex metabolic processes that take glucose out of the bloodstream
Very informative. What was your level when first diagnosed @MarkMunday
I was 13.8 and ketones 4.8

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Not the foggiest, it was so long ago that I’m not even sure there was a fasting blood sugar taken back then. Even if it was, they’d probably have had to wait a fair while for it to come back from the lab. However, I may try and find out.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not the foggiest, it was so long ago that I’m not even sure there was a fasting blood sugar taken back then. Even if it was, they’d probably have had to wait a fair while for it to come back from the lab. However, I may try and find out.
Similar for me, not sure my initial records even still exist anywhere - I've got one more place I can check (the hospital where I was diagnosed), and I have a form to fill in, but they apparently normally destroy anything after 25 years if you're not registered with them anymore, and well I was last registered with them about 40 years ago ... But yeah apparently the doctor could smell it on me when my parents took me in according to my mum.

TypeZero.

I’m assuming we are all T1 because I posted this on the T1 Diabetes forum.

It’s interesting how some of us had double the blood sugar of what others had. I guess this is relative to how much of your beta cells were already destroyed when first diagnosed, I suppose?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

It’s interesting how some of us had double the blood sugar of what others had. I guess this is relative to how much of your beta cells were already destroyed when first diagnosed, I suppose?

Some people will feel quite unwell with glucose levels in the high teens and will need to seek medical assistance.

I went to the doctor with uncontrolled weight loss and frequent urination and although I was above 30mmol I 'felt' OK.

The GP and the hospital staff asked me several times if I was OK. Got the feeling they didn't believe me when I replied that I was fine.

We are all different, and diabetes does not always follow the text books.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember doing a finger prick test before going to the Drs having recognised the signs and it said 'hi'...gulp. Did a few after that and they were between 18 and 30. Was whizzed off to hospital (with ketones) and they did an hb1ac which was 16% in old money which is around 150 I think?. x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some people will feel quite unwell with glucose levels in the high teens and will need to seek medical assistance.

I went to the doctor with uncontrolled weight loss and frequent urination and although I was above 30mmol I 'felt' OK.

The GP and the hospital staff asked me several times if I was OK. Got the feeling they didn't believe me when I replied that I was fine.

Me too! I had levels of 30, ketones around 4 and felt absolutely fine (apart from the usual symptoms of diabetes, ie weeing a lot & thirst). At the Drs, en route to the hospital and on admission they kept saying 'Are you sure you're feeling alright' again and again, and I was even though all the tests showed I was on the verge of DKA. That's why I always say don't rely on how you are feeling if glucose levels are high and so are ketones. x

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
20 mmol first test. 16 mmol a week later.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm not sure that's it exactly, my diagnosis level was sky high but once I started on insulin they came straight down, I then had a C Peptide test a few weeks later which showed I was on the 'low end of normal' for insulin production. I guess it's more to do with your beta cells thinking 'that's it, I'm giving up' until it starts to get help from exogenous insulin. x

Reactions: TypeZero.

TypeZero.

I remember doing a finger prick test before going to the Drs having recognised the signs and it said 'hi'...gulp. Did a few after that and they were between 18 and 30. Was whizzed off to hospital (with ketones) and they did an hb1ac which was 16% in old money which is around 150 I think?. x

How long did your honeymoon last if you had it at all?

I don’t know if I’m on my honeymoon or not. The likely scenario is that I am but I really cannot tell. My Lantus is 14 units which is not that low or not that particularly high l. My ratios are 1:10 for all meals and they seem to all work perfectly. There’s no reason to suspect a honeymoon because I don’t feel like my pancreas helps me.

TypeZero.

If my fasting BG was 19.4 mmol/L I cannot imagine after I have eaten food. I felt great to be honest. The only problems I faced were thirst especially during the night and I think that caused an electrolyte imbalance or something because at least once a week I would get stabbing calf pains in the middle of the night, I shrugged it off as normal because the internet said occasionally it’s normal to have a cramp due to muscle exhaustion. When working I used to get cramps in my foot aswell.

It’s amazing how much you put up with before accepting there’s something wrong. If my family hadn’t told me then I wouldn’t have even gone to the GP and potentially lived several years with undiagnosed T1D although I would’ve probably died first because my body fat percentage was 5% when first diagnosed which wouldn’t have lasted long because I was around 55kg so had less than 3kg of fat left in my body