Are we reurning to 'normal' too quickly.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read an article about this - apparently the older more experienced dogs will remember their training but younger dogs more recently trained are more likely to forget and might need a refresher course.

We have a lady in the village who has been a guide dog user for many moons. She has a new dog at the moment, and both owner and dog are still going through their 1:1 bedding in stage.

She, her do, and the Guide Dogs Trainer pass our house every day, on one of their training routes. As I have been working on the garden out there for a few weeks now, we have exchanges pleasantries most days.

So, for those whose owners are able to be out and about, formal training and embedding is ongoing.

Perminder1

In my humble opinion it’s up to the individual if they want to stay in that’s up to them are we lifting restrictions too soon? Well I guess tha,t depends how serious it is in the first place .
There are a lot of facts and figures out there how realistic they are or true if you like only time will tell. I know testing has been a shambles apparently but here again how accurate is the testing , my cousins man was tested ( police force) and tested positive , had a further test 2 days later negative . My next door neighbour 84 chronic COPD in fact he almost died 18 months ago with a bad bout of pneumonia. Tested positive but is now out of hospital . Also number of unrelated COVID deaths put down to COVID why is this? Paper trail maybe for future lockdowns .? Who can say .
I do think the press have been a tad on sided in their reporting, not a lot of reporting of people walking out of hospital only 200 deaths today , 300 deaths today etc etc , let’s face it if they reported the number of deaths in a normal year in Britain alone it would be 1650 deaths today 1650 deaths today 1650 deaths today for 365 days with not let up, so a little bit of perspective has to be given , I’m not a conspiracy theorist in any shape or form but this does smell of control , they do say the best way to get someone to do something is to make them think they’ve done it themselves for a reason ,
As I said in the start of this post it’s only my humble opinion and I’m. Not here to argue with anyone .
Please stay safe and take care
Somthing called common sense works well

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not soon enough in my opinion ie. my children have been uneducted since mid March (Google School does not cut it), I am furloughed and since my employer is dependent on hospitality revenues, uncertain of going back to my job in July. I am in favour of the vulnerable being helped to shield but why should healthy people be quarantined or become less healthy (mental illness, cancer, heart disease) to achieve this?
Regardless of whether you believe about the risks, I think it should be up to us as individuals to decide whether we should go back to normal or the new Ab normal, without being restricted ( if the resticutions of are not necessary of proportionate) by our government or the engineering of mass hysteria and the sort of social shaming that has been going on on across the mainstream media.
The lockdown was because the NHS was overwhelmed and could not cope after years of politicians and top management (Moneymen or MBA not doctors) running it down. Risk assessments for crisis were ignored for all frontline areas, stocks run down to 'save money'.
As for us deciding at an individual level about the risk are prepared to take - that would be fine if you lived in a bubble, on an isolated island. We live in communities build with high levels of interaction, so any virus that can be breathed in or passed hand to hand will be a risk for others, then still others need to risk themselves, and their families, to treat too many of the original risk takers.
With a disease that doesn't just kill too many, but leaves even larger numbers of people with long term health issues.

Meanwhile you could have got help - I was one of the thousands of people who offered to switch to one-one or small group teaching for parents. Most of us were ignored. Yet I am well-qualified to do this. For years since retiring I did reading support for year 3 and 4. I can also teach creative writing, this would have been my new post in spring but it was cancelled, maths and basic science (my A level were maths and statistics,England and Biology. My physics and chemistry isn't so good but I have degrees in biology, psychology and applied statistics.
I also used to run a playgroup when my children were at school, now I help with a youth study class.
I have a current DBS certificate. I use skype, zoom (yes,with security), microsoft teams, google classroom.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The lockdown was because the NHS was overwhelmed and could not cope after years of politicians and top management (Moneymen or MBA not doctors) running it down. Risk assessments for crisis were ignored for all frontline areas, stocks run down to 'save money'.
As for us deciding at an individual level about the risk are prepared to take - that would be fine if you lived in a bubble, on an isolated island. We live in communities build with high levels of interaction, so any virus that can be breathed in or passed hand to hand will be a risk for others, then still others need to risk themselves, and their families, to treat too many of the original risk takers.
With a disease that doesn't just kill too many, but leaves even larger numbers of people with long term health issues.

Meanwhile you could have got help - I was one of the thousands of people who offered to switch to one-one or small group teaching for parents. Most of us were ignored. Yet I am well-qualified to do this. For years since retiring I did reading support for year 3 and 4. I can also teach creative writing, this would have been my new post in spring but it was cancelled, maths and basic science (my A level were maths and statistics,England and Biology. My physics and chemistry isn't so good but I have degrees in biology, psychology and applied statistics.
I also used to run a playgroup when my children were at school, now I help with a youth study class.
I have a current DBS certificate. I use skype, zoom (yes,with security), microsoft teams, google classroom.
I am sorry that your skills weren't picked up by the educational authorities but not surprised because it has been a hard ask to organise teachers. My kids are those middle class ones with a chrome book and a supervising parent plus lovely grandparents who've offered to pay for any tutoring required.
I got the concept of lockdown to save the NHS but this is evidently NOT needed now and hasn't been for a while (deaths peaked on 8th April in the UK and the Nightingales were empty exhibitions of hospitals that never got used just like that ship in New York).
So we are left with the draconian measures which are causing immense harm economically, socially and to our health to protect us from a virus which it pretty bad if you are very elderly and frail i.e. the kind of person who dies from seasonal flu when the vaccine isn't working (e.g. Winter 2017/18) but without locking down. Why is this different? Yes we live in a social context but the questions I have are even if we could stop a virus like this spreading (and it seems like a King Kanut job to me) why are the lives of those who need to work, be cured of cancer or heart disease worth less than the 0.01% who have died of the virus? I am afraid that to me it is not as morally certain as you all seem to think.

Amart

Whatever 'normal' is. My wife has been playing tennis and golf since they could and I thought I'd try and get back into playing some golf as well.

I might be over cautious, so what, there's nothing wrong in that, it's better than throwing caution to the wind. What I saw this morning was a lot of people, not wearing masks and apart from not being able to use the club house for refreshments and having to 'checkin' through a window, rather than queue up in the pro shop, it was like nothing was wrong. There was certainly no social distancing and I was wondering "has this virus lost it's strength or aren't people breathing out like they used to".

There doesn't seem to be a common approach, I notice that even our local bus drivers are working without any protection and they must face many members of the public, without having a clue about their general health. As long ago as May 13th they were saying 33 London bus drivers have died. What that figure must be like nationwide, who knows. I understand the need to 'get the economy going' but shouldn't there be greater use of masks.

Whinge over. Stay safe everyone, take care.
I completely agree with you're concerns. I find it infuriating when strangers don't respect my 2m space when lm shopping for food. I always wear a mask beneath a face shield to minimise exposure to cv19 to myself from ignoramouses at large
I suspect there will be localised spikes of contagion within coming weeks.

Kjh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whatever 'normal' is. My wife has been playing tennis and golf since they could and I thought I'd try and get back into playing some golf as well.

I might be over cautious, so what, there's nothing wrong in that, it's better than throwing caution to the wind. What I saw this morning was a lot of people, not wearing masks and apart from not being able to use the club house for refreshments and having to 'checkin' through a window, rather than queue up in the pro shop, it was like nothing was wrong. There was certainly no social distancing and I was wondering "has this virus lost it's strength or aren't people breathing out like they used to".

There doesn't seem to be a common approach, I notice that even our local bus drivers are working without any protection and they must face many members of the public, without having a clue about their general health. As long ago as May 13th they were saying 33 London bus drivers have died. What that figure must be like nationwide, who knows. I understand the need to 'get the economy going' but shouldn't there be greater use of masks.

Whinge over. Stay safe everyone, take care.

Kjh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately our starter guy was one of the biggest offenders. He's well into his 80s so probably more at risk if he goes down with this thing.

I am interested that some, like my wife, are quite happy in considering degrees of risk and this is possibly where I have a problem, I don't want any risk.

I'm not totally happy that HID is playing tennis and golf when there is some risk. I've been telling people she'll be the death of me for years LOLOLOL Let's hope not. If I fall ill, I'll send you her eMail address.
I think masks should be obligatory whilst in an area where social distancing is not always an option. I realise by wearing one we are stopping spreading it rather than getting it but if everyone wore one I’d be more confident doing simple things like a food shop which I haven’t done since March. Have watched my daughter in a shop, people push past her , reach over her and generally do not appear to keep distanced from her , she’s a timid 15 Year old so would not say a word to anyone but wish she’d just say “My mum is high risk, patience is a virtue now step away from
Me....”Stay safe.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely a second wave is coming with all these idiots such as those on Bournemouth beach and elsewhere, and the various ad hoc street parties, raves, and demonstrations. It will make a mockery of the hard work most of us have put in. Makes me fume.

Max68

Still looking for one for SARS-1 after what 16 years?

That's half the problem with all these governments. Head in the sand half the time and won't deal with issues unless they are slapped in the face by them. The work towards SARS and MERS vaccines along with all funding was pulled when it became evident that the diseases could be controlled due to the fact that people became ill very quickly so could be quarantined rather than walk around asymptomatic spreading the thing like Covid. "If" the work and funding had continued until a conclusion had been reached then maybe, just maybe, we might have had something sitting in a fridge somewhere that would deal with this infection, or at least the scientists might have been 90% of the way there. Same with Boris or maybe May last year. Not sure if true but the rumour was the "Pandemic Squad" or whatever it was called was pulled by all accounts. It's always the same with governments, always reactive, never pro active!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's half the problem with all these governments. Head in the sand half the time and won't deal with issues unless they are slapped in the face by them. The work towards SARS and MERS vaccines along with all funding was pulled when it became evident that the diseases could be controlled due to the fact that people became ill very quickly so could be quarantined rather than walk around asymptomatic spreading the thing like Covid. "If" the work and funding had continued until a conclusion had been reached then maybe, just maybe, we might have had something sitting in a fridge somewhere that would deal with this infection, or at least the scientists might have been 90% of the way there. Same with Boris or maybe May last year. Not sure if true but the rumour was the "Pandemic Squad" or whatever it was called was pulled by all accounts. It's always the same with governments, always reactive, never pro active!
Or you could say that like the non-existent common cold vaccine it will simply never happen and we might as well develop herd immunity as COVID seems very bad to a relatively very small percentage of the general population..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone come across evidence of visors rather than masks as a sensible precaution? The few articles I’ve seen suggest they might be more protective to the wearer and a little less protective to the people around them. Kind of the opposite of masks/face coverings. They are a total physical barrier to direct propelled droplets. They aren’t much use for airborne lingering particles though.

Much more wearable and less restrictive than masks. Easier to breathe and communicate through. Easily cleanable and reused. A physical barrier to touching your face and less likely to irritate as non contact, thus reducing the temptation to fiddle.
I have a b&q bought one from pre pandemic that I have tried wearing and whilst feeling a major *** it’s much more pleasant and less irritating than a mask.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Dropped off the wife at work this morning though she is working from home she still has to cover for other staff occasionally She works at the local hospital and all you could see in any direction were masks and visors I bought one for Judith that she takes to work with her.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Ahewitt95

I totally get where you are coming from, my store is set open July 13th and I'm not sure people who need shielded should be allowed to return to work

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone come across evidence of visors rather than masks as a sensible precaution? The few articles I’ve seen suggest they might be more protective to the wearer and a little less protective to the people around them. Kind of the opposite of masks/face coverings. They are a total physical barrier to direct propelled droplets. They aren’t much use for airborne lingering particles though.

Much more wearable and less restrictive than masks. Easier to breathe and communicate through. Easily cleanable and reused. A physical barrier to touching your face and less likely to irritate as non contact, thus reducing the temptation to fiddle.
I have a b&q bought one from pre pandemic that I have tried wearing and whilst feeling a major *** it’s much more pleasant and less irritating than a mask.
Yes, I agree that a visor is so much more comfortable than a mask. I am going to wear one when I go back to work.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I agree that a visor is so much more comfortable than a mask. I am going to wear one when I go back to work.
I recently needed to start a new job in a location I was at last year. My new work mates laugh at me (nicely) wearing my visor/mask but they apparently have no idea what 2m or even 1m is so they will be like dominos should one of them catch covid and then perhaps not be laughing at me dancing away from them and avoiding the cramped tea room! Many of them are higher risk than I am statistically