Low carb or no carb

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Since my blood sugar are not coming down with my diet most meat and very few carbs I have decided to go no carbs. I will discuss with DN monday but I'm going to give it a go,
Without the insulin and if I lose weight and my blood sugar come down and I get engergy then I will continue. I have always taken metformin so I will continue with that too.

But today my sugar after having chicken was still high after 2 hours.

I have had some blood tests done to check if my vitamin D is low and iron too.

It will be good to get answers.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Since my blood sugar are not coming down with my diet most meat and very few carbs I have decided to go no carbs. I will discuss with DN monday but I'm going to give it a go,
Without the insulin and if I lose weight and my blood sugar come down and I get engergy then I will continue. I have always taken metformin so I will continue with that too.

But today my sugar after having chicken was still high after 2 hours.

I have had some blood tests done to check if my vitamin D is low and iron too.

It will be good to get answers.
@UsmanMo96 has anybody considered that you might be Type 1 or LADA?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think we established in your previous post, you are not eating low carb. Try less carbs and see how you go. Give it a week or so.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think we established in your previous post, you are not eating low carb. Try less carbs and see how you go. Give it a week or so.

I will definitely give it a week or so, but I just had chicken and it still went up. I'm glad I got my bloods done today, will see whether my vitamin D is low and iron levels too

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@UsmanMo96 has anybody considered that you might be Type 1 or LADA?

Dr told me my c-peptide test results Indicate type 2, I cannot get it again because the DN said even without fasting the results would be the same but will try my best to get it again soon

TypeZero.

Dr told me my c-peptide test results Indicate type 2, I cannot get it again because the DN said even without fasting the results would be the same but will try my best to get it again soon

The C-peptide test is not conclusive. It shows how much insulin you are producing based off the assumption that T1s produce little to no insulin while T2s produce significant amounts of insulin. However this is not always the case, some T1s are actually what’s known as LADA which a slower form of T1 where your beta cells are destroyed much slower than what it would be in a child. Your body might have reduced its insulin production since your last C peptide however there’s no point asking them to redo it because most times they refuse. The C peptide test is taking ages for me, 2 months and still waiting.

It’s impossible to go carb-free, you still need fruits and vegetables but low carb is generally advisable for people with diabetes based off the experience of many people on this app.

What are your blood sugars like? You think they’re high but they might not be that high. For example I was a 19.4 mmol/L when first diagnosed (no food for 12 hours)

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The C-peptide test is not conclusive. It shows how much insulin you are producing based off the assumption that T1s produce little to no insulin while T2s produce significant amounts of insulin. However this is not always the case, some T1s are actually what’s known as LADA which a slower form of T1 where your beta cells are destroyed much slower than what it would be in a child. Your body might have reduced its insulin production since your last C peptide however there’s no point asking them to redo it because most times they refuse. The C peptide test is taking ages for me, 2 months and still waiting.

It’s impossible to go carb-free, you still need fruits and vegetables but low carb is generally advisable for people with diabetes based off the experience of many people on this app.

What are your blood sugars like? You think they’re high but they might not be that high. For example I was a 19.4 mmol/L when first diagnosed (no food for 12 hours)

This is today, as you can see I am never coming into the normal range, after my meal I go up I can go into the high 20's and then after even 2 hours I will be high, I.will be high throughout the day, I will come down by 2-3 points, then my evening meal..up.again and then I will be around 15-16 in morning, this has been going on for more than 3 months, I'm on insulin now but thats still not helping me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200626-162205_LibreLink.jpg
    Screenshot_20200626-162205_LibreLink.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 284

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I cut all carbs when I was first diagnosed, only green leafy veggies with my meal, mostly fish. No fruits, and only water to drink. I’ve eased up slightly, still super low carb though. Go as low as possible, see if it works

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting

The C peptide is conclusive. If doctors are sure you type 2 then the c-peptide will be abnormally high, which can't be LADA.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cut all carbs when I was first diagnosed, only green leafy veggies with my meal, mostly fish. No fruits, and only water to drink. I’ve eased up slightly, still super low carb though. Go as low as possible, see if it works

Do you feel like you have more energy from eating less carbs or zero carbs? I know I ain't eating low enough but I'm going to try my best, I want to feel energised at the moment I'm feeling really slow and tired. I would love low numbers but I'd prefer to feel better as well,

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The C peptide is conclusive. If doctors are sure you type 2 then the c-peptide will be abnormally high, which can't be LADA.
Tbh with you, I will try get my hands on the blood tests results I'd like to see them myself and I will let everyone know

Reactions: Brunneria

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Do you feel like you have more energy from eating less carbs or zero carbs? I know I ain't eating low enough but I'm going to try my best, I want to feel energised at the moment I'm feeling really slow and tired. I would love low numbers but I'd prefer to feel better as well,
You get past this feeling when your body switches over from burning sugars to fat burning. It takes a couple of days/weeks.

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You get past this feeling when your body switches over from burning sugars to fat burning. It takes a couple of days/weeks.

If my sugars can come down from low carb, and from the result, my sleep improves, my energy is back, I in general feel better, no more going to the toilet at random o'clock, that would be a great results, but first, I will need to ask the DN to stop my insulin or gliclazide and I will see what she thinks of my low carb plan, I'm thinking she will not be interested but this is my life.

TypeZero.

The rapid progression onto exogenous insulin suggests T1/LADA in my opinion.

Most T2s I know start insulin after years of having diabetes, it would be strange for someone to develop insulin resistance in a few months. The C peptide could be high due to pancreatic cancers like an insulinoma. A C peptide does not 100% confirm your diagnosis, it just reflects how much insulin your body is producing. A C peptide is also variable from person to person so it’s difficult to judge.

Based off the person’s blood glucose readings I think there’s a high probability of T1/LADA but I cannot say for sure as I am not a doctor and haven’t seen any test results.

TypeZero.

This is today, as you can see I am never coming into the normal range, after my meal I go up I can go into the high 20's and then after even 2 hours I will be high, I.will be high throughout the day, I will come down by 2-3 points, then my evening meal..up.again and then I will be around 15-16 in morning, this has been going on for more than 3 months, I'm on insulin now but thats still not helping me.

Your username has the numbers 96 so I’m assuming you are 24 years old, correct me if I’m wrong?

How much insulin do you take? Do you vary it based on what you’re eating or is it a fixed dose? How many months in total have you been diagnosed with diabetes? Were your blood sugars better when first diagnosed and slowly worsened?

2 hours after a meal your BG should be below 9mmol/L

4-7mmol/L before meals

Anything over 10mmol/L is personally alarming for me.

IMG_1266.jpg

This resource shows the factors that increase or decrease blood glucose, you may want to look at it. If you want to start a low carb diet you can try asking your dietitian but my one said no to me because I’m T1 and my BMI is 19 so apparently I’m at higher risk of diabetic ketoacidosis. To start a low carb diet you can try eliminating carbs from one meal a day then slowly progress e.g. instead of cereal for breakfast have some eggs and bacon

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your username has the numbers 96 so I’m assuming you are 24 years old, correct me if I’m wrong?

How much insulin do you take? Do you vary it based on what you’re eating or is it a fixed dose? How many months in total have you been diagnosed with diabetes? Were your blood sugars better when first diagnosed and slowly worsened?

4-7mmol/L before meals

View attachment 42360

This resource shows the factors that increase or decrease blood glucose, you may want to look at it. If you want to start a low carb diet you can try asking your dietitian but my one said no to me because I’m T1 and my BMI is 19 so apparently I’m at higher risk of diabetic ketoacidosis. To start a low carb diet you can try eliminating carbs from one meal a day then slowly progress e.g. instead of cereal for breakfast have some eggs and bacon

I am 24, I have been diabetic since 2014, based on my hba1c the first 3 years were good but last 3 have been terrible;

I take 15 units of novorapid and 21 of lantus

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

4-7mmol/L before meals

View attachment 42360

Hi,

I'm a little confused by your dietitian's comment regarding T1 & low carbing..

There is a difference between ketoacitosis caused by dangerously high BG levels due to the lack, not enough or ineffect of insulin.

& there is nutritional Ketosis from something like a keto diet.

Both do show ketone elevated traces when tested, however the clue with the former ("ketoacitosis") would also be accompanied by high blood glucose..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 24, I have been diabetic since 2014, based on my hba1c the first 3 years were good but last 3 have been terrible;

I take 15 units of novorapid and 21 of lantus

Hi @UsmanMo96 ,

You appear to me, to be prescribed other mesds to help with insulin resistance? (As well as the insulin.)
You would need to speak with your DN.

Regarding the insulin. I would start with finding out what the basal is doing first with a basal test.
Link here. https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/
Before working out whats happening with diet & what you bolus for...

The other factor? How are you storing your insulin.? Lantus can be a bit iffy in the heat.. (Sorry, I gotta ask.)

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @UsmanMo96 ,

You appear to me, to be prescribed other mesds to help with insulin resistance? (As well as the insulin.)
You would need to speak with your DN.

Regarding the insulin. I would start with finding out what the basal is doing first with a basal test.
Link here. https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/
Before working out whats happening with diet & what you bolus for...

The other factor? How are you storing your insulin.? Lantus can be a bit iffy in the heat.. (Sorry, I gotta ask.)

Thanks for your message, keeping my insulin in the fridge at all times:)

TypeZero.

Hi,

I'm a little confused by your dietitian's comment regarding T1 & low carbing..

There is a difference between ketoacitosis caused by dangerously high BG levels due to the lack, not enough or ineffect of insulin.

& there is nutritional Ketosis from something like a keto diet.

Both do show ketone elevated traces when tested, however the clue with the former ("ketoacitosis") would also be accompanied by high blood glucose..

I literally have no idea. A significant portion of people who use this app do low carb but I have been specifically advised against it.

Here’s is my email:

F0F9B16E-EBA1-4367-BEFD-F096517BB32F.jpeg

I even had a bunch of people on this app discrediting my dietitian and calling her unprofessional because she said ketosis instead of ketoacidosis. In essence both things are the same thing, ketosis is the state of burning fat and producing ketones whilst ketoacidosis is when ketones have become in such a large quantity that it is dangerous

Image edited by moderator to remove details identifying another individual

Last edited by a moderator: