Cholesterol and Statins

rubypops

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
I'm 29 years old. I have a cholesterol level of 200, with HDL of 102 and LDL 87.
I am a healthy weight and eat a very healthy diet.

My doctor is very quick to prescribe strong medicines and I feel I need a second opinion on his recent decision.
He has told me to start taking statins (rosuvastatin 10mg and ezetimibia 10mg combination)

Is my cholesterol high enough for me to need statins every day at my age? Is it safe?

Reactions: KB1978 and Gannet

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread will teach you more than many drs know. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/ But it’s getting so long it might take the same time to read as a medical degree. So dip in and out and pick a couple of links to start with.

whatever you decide it is your choice. The dr gives their recommendations and hopefully reasons. You make the decisions.

Reactions: RGJ1970

TypeZero.

I have no idea about what the reference range is for cholesterol. I’ve searched online and found this:

https://medlineplus.gov/cholesterollevelswhatyouneedtoknow.html

From what I can see your levels seem within range. I don’t see a reason for you to start statins but I’m not a doctor.

I’m 18 and probably have excellent cholesterol levels but still make effort to lower my LDL and total cholesterol. I eat porridge every morning and I take one of those cholesterol lowering yoghurt drinks with added sterols which are scientifically proven to lower total cholesterol and LDL

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea about what the reference range is for cholesterol. I’ve searched online and found this:

From what I can see your levels seem within range. I don’t see a reason for you to start statins but I’m not a doctor.

I’m 18 and probably have excellent cholesterol levels but still make effort to lower my LDL and total cholesterol. I eat porridge every morning and I take one of those cholesterol lowering yoghurt drinks with added sterols which are scientifically proven to lower total cholesterol and LDL
The questions being asked in recent years are does lowering cholesterol actually make any beneficial difference? Could it actually be doing any harm? Which aspects of cholesterol are we even talking about? as total and even ldl is a very long way for the whole story. If you like and are interested I. researching the subject take a look at some of the link in the thread I referenced above. You’ll see there is a whole lot more to the story that the mainstream publicised one

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
I'm 29 years old. I have a cholesterol level of 200, with HDL of 102 and LDL 87. ... Is my cholesterol high enough for me to need statins every day at my age? Is it safe?
The short answer IMHO is, those cholesterol levels look fine and no, drugs are not required. Cholesterol is made in the liver, and I like to think my liver knows how much cholesterol it needs to make. Why doctors think they have to second-guess the liver of patients has always been a mystery to me. I suspect most of them don't understand the underlying processes.

I am also offered statins often but I always refuse. Be aware that, while statins reduce cholesterol, they do not improve mortality. There is no real benefit in taking them and there are various adverse effects. According to the studies, the only group of people who benefit from statins are middle aged men who have already had heart attacks. Women don't benefit from them at all.

Reactions: Neilcla

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ended up refusing statins after years of use and stopping them made virtually no difference to my cholesterol, but did reduce my glucose levels. I feel in retrospect that they were one of the triggers for me ending up diabetic, as they are known to raise glucose levels.

Reactions: Allexandro

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, that's interesting. My lipid Consultant told me your body makes most of your cholesterol and any you might get from food/drink is quite minimal.

TypeZero.

Hi, that's interesting. My lipid Consultant told me your body makes most of your cholesterol and any you might get from food/drink is quite minimal.

The yoghurt drinks I take have around 2g of plant sterols per bottle. Scientifically, evidence suggests a reduction of 7-10% in total cholesterol and LDL. Although I’m not sure how long it lasts for.

Oats also have a compound called beta glucans which are scientifically proven to lower cholesterol and it is advised you consume 3g of beta glucans a day.

The fact is cholesterol from food may minimally influence your cholesterol in blood but over time it causes high cholesterol. Many evidence has supported the fact that a diet high in saturated fats are linked to high cholesterol. Although there is still some fuzzy science around saturated fats because some are apparently healthy (dairy and eggs) while some are unhealthy (red meat)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The yoghurt drinks I take have around 2g of plant sterols per bottle. Scientifically, evidence suggests a reduction of 7-10% in total cholesterol and LDL. Although I’m not sure how long it lasts for.

Oats also have a compound called beta glucans which are scientifically proven to lower cholesterol and it is advised you consume 3g of beta glucans a day.

The fact is cholesterol from food may minimally influence your cholesterol in blood but over time it causes high cholesterol. Many evidence has supported the fact that a diet high in saturated fats are linked to high cholesterol. Although there is still some fuzzy science around saturated fats because some are apparently healthy (dairy and eggs) while some are unhealthy (red meat)

I'll be sure to re educate my Lipid Consultant. :)

TypeZero.

I'll be sure to re educate my Lipid Consultant. :)

Well medical professionals say all sorts of things. Last time I got attacked on this app and my dietitian discredited because she said I shouldn’t do a low carb diet because I’m at an “increased risk of ketosis”. Everyone was going on about how low carb means easier BG control and that how she should of said ketoacidosis instead of ketosis.

The stuff your doctors say are not the holy grail and a lot of the time many people on this app disagree with their doctors and do their own thing. However there are multiple studies showing a clear established link between the type of diet and heart disease

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However there are multiple studies showing a clear established link between the type of diet and heart disease

Not really.. delve deep into where that info comes from and you will usually find a food frequency questionnaire which are often biased against meat consumption. There are no studies that prove a casual link between diet and heart disease.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well medical professionals say all sorts of things. Last time I got attacked on this app and my dietitian discredited because she said I shouldn’t do a low carb diet because I’m at an “increased risk of ketosis”. Everyone was going on about how low carb means easier BG control and that how she should of said ketoacidosis instead of ketosis.

The stuff your doctors say are not the holy grail and a lot of the time many people on this app disagree with their doctors and do their own thing. However there are multiple studies showing a clear established link between the type of diet and heart disease
I suggest you cite the studies, show any that pass the scientific threshold of 2 and that lead to the trial such an observation asks for. I can save you the work as despite millions being spent, there are none.

Be careful of relative risks such as the 18% relative risk of 50 g of processed meat causing colon cancer, The WHO rely on this, which has scared the world and slurred processed meat as probably a carcinogen. Firstly the evidence is rubbish, of over 800 studies, from memory 744 were thrown out, of the ones that remained the balance was in favor of no effect. Mouse studies were included, where pre cancer agents were used in mice with a baseline chance of getting cancer of 80% (sorry but this is cheating). In any event the 18% equates to moving from a risk of colon cancer moving from 43 in 100,000 to 51 in 100,000 - evidence we should base World guidelines on?

Now when you consider food frequency questionnaires were used, and if you were looking at burger and fries, they would blame the meat, whereas some would question the refined bun and fires cooked in seed oils. Studies have been conducted on the usefulness of ffq, the results are obvious, I personally do not care if the inventor of ffq's is the esteemed Harvard professor.

The next trick is to have loads of no effect studies, say with a risk of 1,18 (essentially nothing and hurry picked), add this non result to others - a mefa analysis, use some statistical wizardry with all studies combined to get a result that is better than the individual results ,(but still below 2). Why is this even given time.