Desperate help. Humulin m3. High sugar in the day.

Tessy89

Hello everyone I hope you're all doing well.
I've been having some issues with my blood glucose levels and I'm almost losing my mind over it.

I was prescribed Humulin m3 (Believe I am type 2) 25 units in the morning, 25 units at night. Also I was told to take 500mg SR metaformin.

I've adjusted my diet to a healthy amount of carbs. For example in the morning I will eat a bowl of porridge or a piece of wholemeal bread with boiled eggs. After I've had this food my sugar sky rockets to 20+. My evening meal and second dose of humulin keeps my sugars around 10. But during the day they are so high from a small carb breakfast I'm afraid to eat anything else.

I spoke to my nurse and she told me to adjust it to 35 units in the morning but it still goes up to 18-22 on my sugar reader.

But if I eat more carbs on my evening meal on dosage my sugar stables towards 10 or 11.

Can someone please offer any advice?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone I hope you're all doing well.
I've been having some issues with my blood glucose levels and I'm almost losing my mind over it.

I was prescribed Humulin m3 (Believe I am type 2) 25 units in the morning, 25 units at night. Also I was told to take 500mg SR metaformin.

I've adjusted my diet to a healthy amount of carbs. For example in the morning I will eat a bowl of porridge or a piece of wholemeal bread with boiled eggs. After I've had this food my sugar sky rockets to 20+. My evening meal and second dose of humulin keeps my sugars around 10. But during the day they are so high from a small carb breakfast I'm afraid to eat anything else.

I spoke to my nurse and she told me to adjust it to 35 units in the morning but it still goes up to 18-22 on my sugar reader.

But if I eat more carbs on my evening meal on dosage my sugar stables towards 10 or 11.

Can someone please offer any advice?
That's not a small nor healthy amount of carbs for a T2.... That's a massive amount and I'm not surprised at your numbers. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- have a read, this might explain some of what's going wrong. Also, if you want to try a dietary approach to your diabetes, keep in mind that going low carb will make you go hypo with your current insulin intake. But really... Things should be, and can be, better for you than they are now.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: Tessy89

Tessy89

Hello thank you for the reply. My diabetic nurse said a bowl of porridge or one slice of bread is a good breakfast. My carb count for breakfast is usually around or lower than 15-20grams of carbs.
I don't eat the toast and porridge together, I choose one or the other.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello thank you for the reply. My diabetic nurse said a bowl of porridge or one slice of bread is a good breakfast. My carb count for breakfast is usually around or lower than 15-20grams of carbs.
Hello again,

I eat 20 grams of carbs a day, at maximum. Usually hover around ten grams total. It's kept my blood sugars in the normal range without any medication for years now. Your nurse is old school and not quite up-to-date with the current developments, it would seem... Sorry. :(

Still, like I said, hope the link helps.
Jo

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(Also, if your nurse is right... Then how do you explain that her regime isn't working for you?)

Tessy89

Hello again,

I eat 20 grams of carbs a day, at maximum. Usually hover around ten grams total. It's kept my blood sugars in the normal range without any medication for years now. Your nurse is old school and not quite up-to-date with the current developments, it would seem... Sorry. :(

Still, like I said, hope the link helps.
Jo
Thank you so much. I had a little read. I will definitely try to eliminate is much as possible.

I am going to be so hungry lol.

Tessy89

(Also, if your nurse is right... Then how do you explain that her regime isn't working for you?)
My nurse is adamant that what I am eating is fine. I am almost pulling out my hair with frustration. I am even putting on so much weight with only two meals a day.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much. I had a little read. I will definitely try to eliminate is much as possible.

I am going to be so hungry lol.
Nope! You won't be. Cheese, bacon, meat, fish, poultry.... They're quite filling. ;) Go for eggs and bacon with some high meat content sausages and/or cheese, mushrooms, or a tomato in the morning and you'll find it a lot more filling than the porridge ;) It's the fats that are filling and they do an excellent job. ;) Just keep in mind that you use insulin to "cover" your current carb intake.... Test a lot and keep an eye on potential hypo's. Don't just stay at the same dose while cutting carbs eh, could get dangerous.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My nurse is adamant that what I am eating is fine. I am almost pulling out my hair with frustration. I am even putting on so much weight with only two meals a day.
Time for a different nurse. She can be as adamant as she likes, with your current numbers telling a very different story, you need to step in to protect yourself. High blood sugars do incredible amounts of damage, and you don't want to end up blind with kidney faillure and a missing leg or two. It's easy for her, she doesn't have to live in your body.

Tessy89

Time for a different nurse. She can be as adamant as she likes, with your current numbers telling a very different story, you need to step in to protect yourself. High blood sugars do incredible amounts of damage, and you don't want to end up blind with kidney faillure and a missing leg or two. It's easy for her, she doesn't have to live in your body.
I think you are definitely right. It's a massive struggle. I have been getting horrible issues with my stomach on the metaformin too.

The link you gave me was amazing. Do you know any other places I can find a good very low carb diet/recipes?

I really do appreciate your insight and help here.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are definitely right. It's a massive struggle. I have been getting horrible issues with my stomach on the metaformin too.

The link you gave me was amazing. Do you know any other places I can find a good very low carb diet/recipes?

Dietdoctor.com has a lot, no need to subscribe as a great portion of their info is available for free. This forum's webpage has quite a few too: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/recipes/ . And if there's anything you miss, just google it with "keto" added into the search bar. You'll automaically get very low carb options and alternatives. (Even for things like bread, cake, chocolate muffins etc...!).

Metformin made me really ill, which is why I started searching for alternatives. Things would've gone a lot faster if I'd found this place sooner, but I got there eventually. You will too, and quicker than I did, with this forum's help. ;)

Reactions: Janslv and Tessy89

Tessy89

Dietdoctor.com has a lot, no need to subscribe as a great portion of their info is available for free. This forum's webpage has quite a few too: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/recipes/ . And if there's anything you miss, just google it with "keto" added into the search bar. You'll automaically get very low carb options and alternatives. (Even for things like bread, cake, chocolate muffins etc...!).

Metformin made me really ill, which is why I started searching for alternatives. Things would've gone a lot faster if I'd found this place sooner, but I got there eventually. You will too, and quicker than I did, with this forum's help. ;)
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. So much avacado and chicken coming my way.

If you don't mind me asking what is your favourite meals to eat?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. So much avacado and chicken coming my way.

If you don't mind me asking what is your favourite meals to eat?
I usually keep it simple. Cauliflower rice with cheese and herbs (curcuma, pepper, salt, garlicpowder), with whatever meat/poultry/fish I have in the fridge for dinner. Salmon, tuna or goat's cheese salad for lunch/breakfast. Salmon scrambled eggs, cinnamon/erythritol omelette... Extra dark chocolate. ;)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Hi @Tessy89

I am a T1 diabetic and so I manage my diabetes in a slightly different way to you, but I noticed from your profile info that you are still young so how did the quacks arrive at the T2 diagnosis?

A slice of toast is around 16 to 20 grams of carbohydrate, whereas a bowl of microwave porridge comes out closer to 30grams of carbs - do you get the same glucose readings with porridge as you do with a single slice of toast?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Lilylala

Hi I am On the same humulin m3 as you my dosage went up and up till I was on 40 units am / pm
I too was diet advice from diabetic nurse that porridge was a great breakfast and beans on toast was a great lunch
I put on 2 1/2 stone
My bs readings were through the roof
I started one meal a day in February, had to adjust insulin gradually
Now I have lost 40 lb and my insulin if it's under bs of 10 mmol I don't inject in the morning ( I get dawn phenomenon)if it is over I inject 8 units
In the evening before my eating window my bs is about 5mmol and I inject 16 units
If I kept on the diet advice given at the hospital I probably be 4 stone heavier and be injecting 50 plus units
Low carbs , bacon and eggs for breakfast for instance will not raise your be but keep a eye on your reading you don't go too low your dosage will need adjustment.
Good luck xx

Tessy89

Hi @Tessy89

I am a T1 diabetic and so I manage my diabetes in a slightly different way to you, but I noticed from your profile info that you are still young so how did the quacks arrive at the T2 diagnosis?

A slice of toast is around 16 to 20 grams of carbohydrate, whereas a bowl of microwave porridge comes out closer to 30grams of carbs - do you get the same glucose readings with porridge as you do with a single slice of toast?
Hey. Honestly they haven't actually told me what type I really am. I got diagnosed a few years ago on accident when I was checked for polysitic ovaries. I am not obese but in the chubby range and both sides of my family are type one diabetics.

If I eat the oat meal or toast, the readings are just the same. Always in the 20s, even with higher insulin. It's.. Grating on me lol. I will try the Keto diet from now on.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hey. Honestly they haven't actually told me what type I really am. I got diagnosed a few years ago on accident when I was checked for polysitic ovaries. I am not obese but in the chubby range and both sides of my family are type one diabetics.

If I eat the oat meal or toast, the readings are just the same. Always in the 20s, even with higher insulin. It's.. Grating on me lol. I will try the Keto diet from now on.

Hmm, with T1's on both sides of your family, it might be worth asking your diabetes nurse if you can get proper tests to see if they can define what type of diabetes you actually have (they'll probably say no). Do you see an endocrinologist at your local hospital?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Humulin M3 contains 30% soluble insulin (short-acting) and 70% isophane insulin (long-acting.) This is a good starting point for taking insulin, making the treatment simplier. However, MDI using separate injections for short-acting and long-acting, gives you better control over dosing by carb counting, and as a result, your blood sugars.

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.

I couldn’t take Metaformin, spent every lunchtime in the toilet with stomach cramps until I found this website and choose to look at dietdoctor.com, just one of the recommended lifestyle plans. After a week struggling with Metaformin I ditched it to the horror of the diabetic nurse, lost 3 stone and now weight 8st, have loads of energy and have been classed as “normal” for over a year now. I eat scrambled eggs, bacon and mushrooms with Hovis low carb bread 9.9g carbs per slice, every weekend and 2 x low carb toast with 100g natural yogurt & 2 x Strawberry Mid week, that said I walk my dogs for 30 mins every day after breakfast which often brings my sugar down lower than when I started. My morning mmol is usually around 5.5 unless I’ve had lost of wine & maybe a desert the previous day and then it can be max 6.3. It worth looking at the different diet plans that are recommenced and remember to exercise everyday, drink plenty of water and relax at the weekend. Good luck.