Anyone been shopping yet?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like they were taking it much more seriously at your husband's barber's. No requirement for a mask at my place and no empty chairs. Incidentally how do they cut around your ears if you are wearing a mask?

Apparently the hairdresser moved the loops from round his ears with a long handled thingy with a tweezer sort of gadget at the end, one at a time and put it round his head somehow. Don't ask me exactly how! That is according to hubby.

Reactions: Max68

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
And do they use a brush to fan all the hair away as they usually do?! I'm sticking for a while with the do it yourself clippers. Saves money and with my pretty awful DIY effort people tend to steer clear of me anyway with one look at my hair!! ;)

One of the worst must be Dentists or Opticians, I'm over due a check up for both but they both get pretty close especially the optician with his light thingy! That must also beg the question about yearly retinopathy scans as they also get in pretty close too!

I had to go to my private audiologist twice recently. No choice unless I wanted to suffer even longer. No problem. On entering she had a PP2 mask ready for me at the door, plus an alcohol sanitiser. She took me through the otherwise empty building and opened all doors for me, both on entering and leaving. She wore a face visor, surgical mask, and thin disposable gloves. She sanitised her hands over the gloves every time she touched anything in the room. There was a plastic screen attached to the microscope she used to peer into my ears. She said the chair had been sanitised but she also wiped the arms down again. It was completely safe.

Reactions: Max68

Max68

I had this problem a few days ago with a plumber.Ask him in advance to wear a mask. If he doesn't bring one give him one. Open all the windows.Prop all internal doors open so he doesn't have to touch the knobs. Disinfect the stair rail after him. Pay direct to his bank if possible.

Yeah good advice. What would you wash a wooden varnished bannister rail down with?! Suspect I will ask him to take his shoes off as well. The landing is fairly unventilated so after WHO's suggestion this morning that it's airborne I suspect I will be walking round for the rest of the day with a towel over my head holding my breath!!

Tannith

BANNED
Yeah good advice. What would you wash a wooden varnished bannister rail down with?! Suspect I will ask him to take his shoes off as well. The landing is fairly unventilated so after WHO's suggestion this morning that it's airborne I suspect I will be walking round for the rest of the day with a towel over my head holding my breath!!
I washed my wooden varnished bannister down with a solution of wall and floor cleaner.It had a lot of grease on it from the days when I wasn't worried about infection.But perhaps anti bacterial spray would be better. Or dettol spray or anti bac wipes. And also turned on all the extractor fans I had. Maybe put some fan heaters on cool blowing cold air to keep the ventilation going. I didn't think of that in time.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I washed my wooden varnished bannister down with a solution of wall and floor cleaner.It had a lot of grease on it from the days when I wasn't worried about infection.But perhaps anti bacterial spray would be better. Or dettol spray or anti bac wipes. And also turned on all the extractor fans I had. Maybe put some fan heaters on cool blowing cold air to keep the ventilation going. I didn't think of that in time.
Fans and fan heaters would just circulate air already in room. That could just spread particles that you are concerned about around the room. Ventilation by opening doors and windows is better. If you are worried about someone carrying virus in on shoes or clothes, it would be better to have disinfectant, (one that is effective on viruses as well as bacteria) in a spray bottle, and use that in the air and on surfaces.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Went this morning into my local town to go to the paper shop, no problems there, one in, one out. I did however go past my usual barber's shop (not had my hair cut since early March), it is a small shop with two barber's chairs and three waiting seats. There were three customers in, plus the barber. None of the clients wore a mask, and distancing was a joke. I won't be going in there any time soon!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am particularly amused by the uk regulation that hairdressers are supposed to be wearing visors.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/07/03/will-need-wear-face-mask-hairdresser-12939615/

What better way to direct their exhalations down onto the customer sitting in front of them?
(although I do realise that different visors, worn at different angles, will affect the airflow direction)

Yesterday I walked past a hairdressers where a woman was cutting hair with a mask pulled down to just cover her lips and chin. No visor.

Max68

Well plumber arrived early (who would have thought it!) was wearing a mask and took off his shoes and we just chatted him at top of stairs and me at bottom! He didn't touch the banister which was a shame as I had wrapped it cling film, only kidding! Wiped down all light fittings and parts he may have touched including front door handle. Not much you can do about any possible air particles really, I think we can just be as safe as we can be. Of course all this is "assuming" he had it which I guess is 50/50 but whilst in some ways it's sad that we are now so cautious I think it's also a possible lesson for the future as we, well I didn't, do any of this if a work man came to the house and how many times have some of us spent the whole day at a sea side and then eaten fish and chips with our fingers! Ok fish and chips a bad example on a diabetes site!! ;););)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I've been to the open air market and some people were wearing masks. I'm off to the hairdresser's tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see what that is like. Can't stand the woolly mammoth look anymore.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently scientists are now saying the virus is airborne rather than droplets that fall to surfaces. They say it can linger in the air for hours after an infected person has been speaking or even just breathing out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53329946
Yes, I saw that, too. So, does this mean masks, with proper filters, mandatory? Also change of clothes and complete decontamination after being in shop?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently scientists are now saying the virus is airborne rather than droplets that fall to surfaces. They say it can linger in the air for hours after an infected person has been speaking or even just breathing out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-53329946

Surely if that were the case and it was easy to catch that way we'd be seeing far more infections (and more importantly deaths) ?
Instead the figures seem to be dropping consistently.. more fear mongering maybe?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a tooth pulled at the dentists this week although tbh I'm sulking a little as the pubs are back open but I don't drink, and the gym & pool are still closed but I train and swim normally, I guess one would look a bit of a whopper swimming with a face mask on and they don't like snorkels, even for practising fly :p

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Cannot understand why gyms are still locked down when so many other places are not most gyms have loads of room to socially distance and most have invested money and time in order to safely operate it's just daft.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cannot understand why gyms are still locked down when so many other places are not most gyms have loads of room to socially distance and most have invested money and time in order to safely operate it's just daft.

It's all that heavy breathing...........

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I saw that, too. So, does this mean masks, with proper filters, mandatory? Also change of clothes and complete decontamination after being in shop?

All I know personally from airborne diseases is Kennel Cough, found in dogs. Misnamed Kennel Cough as dogs can catch it anywhere, from vet surgeries to the open air. After 20 years as a boarding kennel owner I can testify that it is impossible to get rid of, no matter how much anti-virus disinfection was used, where it was used, complete isolation of the dog, complete disinfection of the leads, bowls, staff, clothing, shoes, etc. Happily, anti-biotics worked on the infected dogs. Nightmare.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Gyms will be opening from the 25th most gyms have ample room for social distancing and I was not aware that the virus can be transmitted by sweat from my memories of Asdas and some other places gyms are not the only places where sweating and heavy breathing may occur.

It seems that so far building beer bellies is OK but building muscles is not.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Sounds like they were taking it much more seriously at your husband's barber's. No requirement for a mask at my place and no empty chairs. Incidentally how do they cut around your ears if you are wearing a mask?

Grandson went for his appointment at the hairdressers today hairdresser wore mask and visor grandson wore mask to do around the ears the loop one side of his mask was removed while he held mask in place then the other side same procedure.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It has been a while since I set foot in a gym, but the 3 gyms I have used over the years would be awkward in the covid era.

Changing rooms, gym equipment, ventilation and layout were all unsuitable and would require major alterations.
And I fondly remember the over-diluted cleaning fluid that we were all supposed to use on the machines, to wipe off our sweat. I think I may have been the only member to ever use the cleaning stuff, and when I did I had to trek to the ladies loos for toilet paper to use as a wipe. lol. The gym staff were (apparently) told not to refill the paper wipe dispensers in the gym itself, because then people used them, and that was too expensive.
No one (including me) ever wiped the handles of the equipment.

Exercise classes must be disease breeding grounds, with all that panting and sweating and jumping about.

I suspect that a great many gyms will be going out of business in the near future, especially since many people will have discovered that they can keep fit perfectly well from home, without paying the exorbitant monthly fees.