Covid/Coronavirus and diabetes - the numbers

M

Member496333

A significant number of those that would have died this week may well have died in the previous few months.

Coincidentally, my understanding is that the reverse is true of the peak in deaths earlier in the year. That is to say that, pre-COVID, average deaths were lower than usual due to a mild flu season. This then left more ‘low hanging fruit’ to be seriously affected by the next virus. In this case CV19.

If I have understood the data analysis correctly, this means that the coronavirus death rate was boosted over and above what may have been the case had the prior flu season been more typical.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coincidentally, my understanding is that the reverse is true of the peak in deaths earlier in the year. That is to say that, pre-COVID, average deaths were lower than usual due to a mild flu season. This then left more ‘low hanging fruit’ to be seriously affected by the next virus. In this case CV19.

If I have understood the data analysis correctly, this means that the coronavirus death rate was boosted over and above what may have been the case had the prior flu season been more typical.
And 2019 deaths to week 26 were below the 5 year average too.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I don't think the bereaved will be consoled by hearing that their loved ones were "low hanging fruit".

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Agreed there were slightly fewer deaths pre and now for a week or two post the peak of the wave. The lower numbers pre pandemic may indeed have inflated deaths by a similar slight amount during it. They do not in any way amount to the number in excess during the peak.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They do not in any way amount to the number in excess during the peak.

Not yet maybe.. we'll need to keep a look out over the remainder of the year and see.

Looking at the ages of those who have died I'm guessing we'll see much lower mortality for the remainder of 2020.

Edit to add until of course we get the increases in deaths from those who haven't been diagnosed with other conditions like cancers, heart disease etc due to the fear of hospitals engendered in the general population.

M

Member496333

I don't think the bereaved will be consoled by hearing that their loved ones were "low hanging fruit".

I’m not trying to console anyone. This thread is discussing data. Low hanging fruit is merely a turn of phrase used to describe how a virus preys on the most vulnerable first.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strange, I didn't pay and can read it, no problem.

Edited - try this.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/business/sweden-economy-coronavirus.html

Scroll up past the banner that comes up - it does not prevent you from reading the artricle.
Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 13.32.50.png

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Maybe my computer has a bad name with the NYT... looking at the start of the article looks like the usual anti Sweden rant though so...

Thing is, I work for a Swedish owned company, have been to Stockholm on secondments a couple of times and know a few people at the Stockholm office. Everyone I know in Sweden has been saying the same stuff for several weeks now.
Swedish government has also launched an enquiry into where the country went wrong.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thing is, I work for a Swedish owned company, have been to Stockholm on secondments a couple of times and know a few people at the Stockholm office. Everyone I know in Sweden has been saying the same stuff for several weeks now.
Swedish government has also launched an enquiry into where the country went wrong.
Care homes..and fewer deaths in the 2018-2019 flu season?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get the same access as you @urbanracer and haven’t paid anything, either.

thought it was an interesting article, especially the spending/economic impact in the various Scandinavian countries, especially within Sweden itself. Very Informative and most impressed with Norway’s handling of the whole situation. Saved lives, minimised the economic impact, and rapidly getting its economy back up and running.

Reactions: urbanracer

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw this. Fasting of over 7 - whilst sick - I would imagine is fairly common, even if that is not typically for an otherwise and usually well controlled person when well
You beat me to it. :)Yes, exactly that. I would think many of us would have fasting levels above 7 if we had COVID19.

I am coming to terms with the thoughts that COVID19 was a life changing event for me. I wasn't hospitalised and before COVID19 my BGs were well controlled. Yet over 4 months on so many parts of my body still struggle. I don't think I will ever be the same person I was again. I still feel like there's an alien inside me.

Add to that the stress and strain of arranging a funeral and dealing with the affairs of one of the so called 'low hanging fruits' that some of you seem to dismiss as not mattering, and I am broken. Mentally, physically and emotionally broken. That's why I don't post here often now.

Reactions: JRT

Tannith

BANNED
You beat me to it. :)Yes, exactly that. I would think many of us would have fasting levels above 7 if we had COVID19.

I am coming to terms with the thoughts that COVID19 was a life changing event for me. I wasn't hospitalised and before COVID19 my BGs were well controlled. Yet over 4 months on so many parts of my body still struggle. I don't think I will ever be the same person I was again. I still feel like there's an alien inside me.

Add to that the stress and strain of arranging a funeral and dealing with the affairs of one of the so called 'low hanging fruits' that some of you seem to dismiss as not mattering, and I am broken. Mentally, physically and emotionally broken. That's why I don't post here often now.
The way covid affects younger people and hangs about damaging them for months afterwards frightens me. I worry for my children who are just under 40. One told me yesterday she is going on holiday albeit self catering and in the uk. I was horrified.Her partner is obese. None drive, so they all have to use public transport. Another has been required to go back to work in the office several days a week - again using public transport. None can get supermarket deliveries so they have to go in person. I am hugely pleased that the Govt has made masks compulsory on public transport and in shops, as this will protect my loved ones as well as reduce the pandemic spread.