How much insulin are you prescribed??

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Over the last few months I’ve been prescribed one box of five insulin pens (box of NovoRapid/box of Levermir).

However, recently due to the amount of insulin I am needing to take the NovoRapid pens aren’t lasting a week.

Tomorrow, I am due to speak to my gp (doctors surgery) regarding the surgery increasing my prescription for both pens.

I am absolutely dreading this, as I don’t think the gp in question will be prepared to do this. Each time I have seen said gp, I have a lecture regarding treating type 2 with tablets, diet,exercise. Struggled with him to get a hospital referral, he did refer me & I have been under the hospital regarding my diabetes ever since.

So I do wonder would I have been better contacting the hospital direct in regards to insulin prescription?

I’m interested to know about people’s experiences when it comes to insulin prescription/amount of insulin issued & who issues them.
Gp or hospital?

Thanks all in advance x

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Over the last few months I’ve been prescribed one box of five insulin pens (box of NovoRapid/box of Levermir).

However, recently due to the amount of insulin I am needing to take the NovoRapid pens aren’t lasting a week.

Tomorrow, I am due to speak to my gp (doctors surgery) regarding the surgery increasing my prescription for both pens.

I am absolutely dreading this, as I don’t think the gp in question will be prepared to do this. Each time I have seen said gp, I have a lecture regarding treating type 2 with tablets, diet,exercise. Struggled with him to get a hospital referral, he did refer me & I have been under the hospital regarding my diabetes ever since.

So I do wonder would I have been better contacting the hospital direct in regards to insulin prescription?

I’m interested to know about people’s experiences when it comes to insulin prescription/amount of insulin issued & who issues them.
Gp or hospital?

Thanks all in advance x
I know my GP wouldn't touch an insulin prescription alteration because she said she knows next to nothing about diabetes. So I don't know whether upping it would be in your GP's repertoire... If the doc gives you a hard time though, get in touch with your hospital.

Mind you, changing your diet could lower your need for insulin (dunno if you're still overproducing or whether your pancreas is knackered), maybe to a point where the extra dosage wouldn't be needed. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might be a bit of a patch?
Good luck!
Jo

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On my insulin it just states 'As Directed' on the box, if I need more (or less) then I tend to just ring up my DN at the docs and explain why I need more or less and then she happily sorts out my prescription (as long as it a valid sounding reason of course) for me. If you have the rough amount you use in a month then having that knowledge to hand should help :).

Whilst my hospital told my doctors set up a repeat prescription for me of 2 vials for my new pump (that I don't have yet), I know that my docs will happily change it to the amount I ask for if its needs changing - but then I'm type 1, maybe that does make a difference - or it could just be that my docs are good docs (my DN is very good).

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Libby3781,there's only one answer to this and that is 'as much as you need to keep your glucose levels within range'. Your Dr may well be right in dishing out his advice (or not) but at the end of the day YOU have been prescribed insulin and that is what you are using. If your Consultant/team say you do not need it and take it off you entirely, all well and good but they CANNOT restrict it leaving you trying to make it last. x

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Libby3781
Your GP has no right to refuse you an increase in your insulin prescription, he/she is supposed to be there to support you regardless of their own thoughts on the matter and not try to force you to change your medication routine which the hospital have put you on.

If he tries or continues to harass you about your needs, please contact your hospital team if you have one or your local Patient Support group to complain, his attitude is unacceptable, my GP would never even think of refusing my insulin or saying I shouldn't be using x amount.