JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just had result of A1c done the other day it is just slightly up at 44 mmol/mol so happy with that.

The only thing is potassium level is a little high at 5.7 and eGFR has dropped further now 44.

Also Serum creatinine level 139 umol/L which is on the high side.

Was surprised to read the other day that low potassium can affect insulin produced by the pancreas people with lower levels of potassium tend to produce lower levels of insulin.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, good news about your HbA1c. It must be hard with all the steroids you take.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had result of A1c done the other day it is just slightly up at 44 mmol/mol so happy with that.

The only thing is potassium level is a little high at 5.7 and eGFR has dropped further now 44.

Was surprised to read the other day that low potassium can affect insulin produced by the pancreas people with lower levels of potassium tend to produce lower levels of insulin.

Hats off to you John. That's a great outcome, never mind throwing your steroids and a sedentary, locked-in period into the mix.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Excellent!!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice one!
And I totally agree that Lockdown has made everything a bit off kilter, so to get those results under those circumstances is ace.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Just out of curiosity, obviously you don't have to answer this if you consider it a matter of personal privacy, but has anyone said anything about your egfr to you?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just out of curiosity, obviously you don't have to answer this if you consider it a matter of personal privacy, but has anyone said anything about your egfr to you?

Yes first was mentioned during preop when had stents for AAA grafted then it was 60 since then it has fallen slowly but surely and have talked about it with my GP especially regarding metformin he had said when it was at fifty metformin would have to be reconsidered if it dropped much further. And now of course as it has dropped again will have to discuss it with him, but it is a downward trend shows no sign of stopping so it's just a matter of time I think.

The first person to mention it to me was the anesthetist when doing the preoperative assessment for the Grafts when afterwards I brought it up with my GP seems he had known about it for a while just never saw fit to share it with me.:banghead:

I had thought he could have said at some point oh and bye the way your kidney's are failing.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
Hi John,
Potassium is a hard parameter to measure, it can make potassium seem high if the wrong procedure is used to draw blood.

It can also make potassium high if your adrenals produce too little aldosterone.
In that case you would likely have low bp.

I have many times the normal aldosterone so I leak potassium in favour of sodium and have potassium sparing diuretics.

Atb
Derek

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Yes first was mentioned during preop when had stents for AAA grafted then it was 60 since then it has fallen slowly but surely and have talked about it with my GP especially regarding metformin he had said when it was at fifty metformin would have to be reconsidered if it dropped much further. And now of course as it has dropped again will have to discuss it with him, but it is a downward trend shows no sign of stopping so it's just a matter of time I think.

The first person to mention it to me was the anesthetist when doing the preoperative assessment for the Grafts when afterwards I brought it up with my GP seems he had known about it for a while just never saw fit to share it with me.:banghead:

I had thought he could have said at some point oh and bye the way your kidney's are failing.

That must be irritating about the gp not even mentioning it to you. I had seriously elevated live enzyme levels for well over 6 months before I was even told about that and that that something had to be done about it asap. It just seems to boggle the mind at times, not informing a patient about things that clearly very important. Wishing you all the best, mate.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect the reason is that a GGT result without other issues may be unlikely to result in improvement to medical care.