Protein

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Can low carb High fat with lots of meat etc , so high protein. Raise your glucose levels and if so how can you counter this my fb is around 6.5 every morning and not going down till late afternoon to around 5.3 or 5.5 yet I’m eating about 40 to 50 gems of carbs a day

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
How long have you been Low Carbing?
Many have sad it took them years to get their fasting BG down below 6.0 since this tends to be the last one to fall.
I'm only 15 months into low carb and mine is usually above 6 or even around 7. However it often falls on my first meal of the day (last lunch) even though that usually contains between 10 and 20 grans of carbs.

The lowest reading I have ever got is 4.9, I had a 5.1 fasting reading a few days ago, though this was after my morning brisk 30min walk which again often lowers my BG.

But I only care about my peak BG's and my HbA1C readings. It isn't a competition for me.

I know that in theory a huge amount or Protein may be able to elevate your BG, but in practice it doesn't seem to do so for the carnivores in the forum.
How many lbs of meat do you eat per day?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would suggest you do an n of 1 test. You could be quite insulin resistant, it can take a long time to reverse. You may need to reduce carbs to between 10 and 20 grams (Ketogenic levels) - so this is one test. You may have to preference your fat ratio, so reducing protein, maybe no egg whites, if you eat eggs, fattier cuts of meat. I am a advocate of higher protein, and have gone for resistance and hit training to reduce IR.

The jury is out on gluconeogenesis, as to if it is demand driven or above a certain amount of protein (type 1' seem to have some differing results to type 2's, although type 1 grit had good results on HbA1c's on LCHP).

Reactions: LaoDan
M

Member496333

In lieu of carbohydrate your body can only use fat or protein for fuel. If you don’t eat enough fat and/or you don’t have enough stored fat to draw from and/or you can’t access it due to hyperinsulinemia, then your body will have to fuel itself with protein, and to do this, it must first turn it into glucose. So yes it’s entirely possible for excess protein to raise glucose levels.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for the replies . I’ve been low carb for 2.5 years now since diagnosis . My day would consist of
Brekkie at 06:15 2 eggs , 2 bacon , grated cheddar , coffee double cream and a benecol. Lunch is normally a piece of chicken and some nuts . Coffee and cream , Pepsi max . dinner : meat ie steak or lamb or pork with eggs , peppers mushroom . That would be typical with some varriations but always around the same amount of carbs . I walk to work about 2 k and work on a large building site I do about 14 to 15 000 steps a day . My fb levels have been good in the past averaging about 5.6 over a 6 month period .

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Doesn't work for everyone but I find that a snack of salami and cheese or similar just before bed helps with morning highs.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doesn't work for everyone but I find that a snack of salami and cheese or similar just before bed helps with morning highs.
Hiya crocodile thanks for the reply . I’ve been having a coffee with cream and some cheese before bed for ages . It just stopped working . I’m gonna try a 12 hr fast from teatime to 6 am see how that goes . The highs are around 6.5 and still at 6 to 6.5 at lunch after a morning working and walking around site
It’s doin my head in

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the replies . I’ve been low carb for 2.5 years now since diagnosis . My day would consist of
Brekkie at 06:15 2 eggs , 2 bacon , grated cheddar , coffee double cream and a benecol. Lunch is normally a piece of chicken and some nuts . Coffee and cream , Pepsi max . dinner : meat ie steak or lamb or pork with eggs , peppers mushroom . That would be typical with some varriations but always around the same amount of carbs . I walk to work about 2 k and work on a large building site I do about 14 to 15 000 steps a day . My fb levels have been good in the past averaging about 5.6 over a 6 month period .
im the same as you, building trade and my fasting reading at 0600 is round about the 6.0 to 6.5 ..ive cut the breakfast out for a year or so .just have a few cups of tea and/or coffee first food at between 10 and 11..normally down to mid fives by then,..and 5 to 5.5 by evening meal...still would be nice to be lower in first thing though..
edited to say my diet is similar to yours as well

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tell me about it . You’d think with all the work and walking all day the bloods would be normal all the time on top of the low carb . I’m gonna start 12 hr fast from 6 pm to 6am see what happens

Reactions: Diawara

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Tell me about it . You’d think with all the work and walking all day the bloods would be normal all the time on top of the low carb . I’m gonna start 12 hr fast from 6 pm to 6am see what happens
I'd be interested to know it goes. Without the snack I'm in the same boat. I could end up the same way some time.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Have you tried cutting the coffee? I got a rise yesterday after having an extra cup of espresso. Sounds like you’re doing everything else right.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'd be interested to know it goes. Without the snack I'm in the same boat. I could end up the same way some time.
Ok so I had no food last night after 6 30 pm just a coffee with double cream . Got up at 06:10 this morning to a 6.3 on one finger tried another finger 7.0 tried another 6.3 . Maybe I’ve got an infection or something . Really am confused . Gonna have some bacon and eggs and have nothing till tonight . But I think by the time I get to work it’ll be higher .

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Ok so I had no food last night after 6 30 pm just a coffee with double cream . Got up at 06:10 this morning to a 6.3 on one finger tried another finger 7.0 tried another 6.3 . Maybe I’ve got an infection or something . Really am confused . Gonna have some bacon and eggs and have nothing till tonight . But I think by the time I get to work it’ll be higher .
It might take a few days but we're all different. Good luck with it. Pretty frustrating.