Leg days at the gym

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Started exercising the day I was diagnosed, lots of walking, body weight squats... lots of focus on the legs because they’re the largest muscles, and I’ve had a bit leg pain, ankles a tad swollen, nothing major, just uncomfortable.

finally joined a gym, took a few months to lose enough weight to even feel comfortable walking into one. This gym is a total meat head gym, no treadmills, only clanking and banging iron. Of course I’m the weakest oldest person there lol.

Every Tuesday and Friday is leg day. Heavy ( for me) leg press, hamstring and quad machine, then weighted squats, both free weights and smith machines. First couple weeks I was in excruciating pain as my muscles were atrophied, weak.

last couple weeks, things are opening up! The cramps, the swelling are gone. The blood flow is back, my legs are warm, my feet are warm to the touch, it’s amazing!

I’m hooked!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Leg days are the hardest routine I find... especially the next day, but I enjoy weight training. It's fantastic for health and not just physical, but mental health also. Always feel on a high after it. So to speak!

Just watch out for the "bro science" advice if you start talking to people in a gym.... :D

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Leg days are the hardest routine I find... especially the next day, but I enjoy weight training. It's fantastic for health and not just physical, but mental health also. Always feel on a high after it. So to speak!

Just watch out for the "bro science" advice if you start talking to people in a gym.... :D

I prefer the leg weight exercises to the upper body. Must have weak arms! Gym membership is still on hold as the initial opening times post lockdown don’t work for me - usually go at silly o’clock.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I prefer the leg weight exercises to the upper body. Must have weak arms! Gym membership is still on hold as the initial opening times post lockdown don’t work for me - usually go at silly o’clock.

Well, you can always do some body weight exercises at home or lift stuff around the house. Always a way to do something if you need to. Squat furniture? :D

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh I sure missmy gym and swim. Still shielding, so will be a while before I can get back. Meantime I am using resistance bands to keep legs working. Not been brave enough for wild swimming yet, though.

Reactions: LaoDan

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I read some stuff that says the legs and bottom should be the focus for persons with diabetes, as it is theorised that insulin resistance is more prominent that area. I am converting to power building to try to get the best out of body building and power lifting. I now walk with a back pack with my X3 bar to mix resistance and walking or walk and do pushups and lunges . I am going to try to squeeze in the hit cycling.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Well, you can always do some body weight exercises at home or lift stuff around the house. Always a way to do something if you need to. Squat furniture? :D
Stairs work too. I live in a 20 story apt building.

Reactions: Tophat1900

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I read some stuff that says the legs and bottom should be the focus for persons with diabetes, as it is theorised that insulin resistance is more prominent that area. I am converting to power building to try to get the best out of body building and power lifting. I now walk with a back pack with my X3 bar to mix resistance and walking or walk and do pushups and lunges . I am going to try to squeeze in the hit cycling.

I read that in passing too, I tried to search but couldn’t find any more information. I was doing 100 meter sprints, fantastic on the quads, neighbors liked it too, hey look at that fat guy running down the street lol.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

I find working the legs is the quickest way to lower levels if they need to be, great for insulin sensitivity.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
This is the machine that’s been making the huge difference. turns the legs to jello . Today is leg day again
AABD9035-B12E-45C5-9B66-25B8E61318AA.jpeg

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
This is the machine that’s been making the huge difference. turns the legs to jello . Today is leg day again
View attachment 43014

Leg press... originally designed in the middle ages as a torture device to extract confessions, information and secret scone recipes. :D

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate leg day. I reeeealy hate leg day lol.

Mostly becuase I got a PT for a while who explained how I was doing it wrong, do I have build up muscles using bad form, and now I'm doing it properly it hurts all over again and I can't left half as much lol.

Stick at it, i have found the gym work has totaly beateny insulin resistance into submission

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Started exercising the day I was diagnosed, lots of walking, body weight squats... lots of focus on the legs because they’re the largest muscles, and I’ve had a bit leg pain, ankles a tad swollen, nothing major, just uncomfortable.

finally joined a gym, took a few months to lose enough weight to even feel comfortable walking into one. This gym is a total meat head gym, no treadmills, only clanking and banging iron. Of course I’m the weakest oldest person there lol.

Every Tuesday and Friday is leg day. Heavy ( for me) leg press, hamstring and quad machine, then weighted squats, both free weights and smith machines. First couple weeks I was in excruciating pain as my muscles were atrophied, weak.

last couple weeks, things are opening up! The cramps, the swelling are gone. The blood flow is back, my legs are warm, my feet are warm to the touch, it’s amazing!

I’m hooked!
You are a hero and nobody likes leg days but you get good results and will no longer need to hide skinny pins like th guys that just do bench presses and curls! Obviously more muscle = better insulin sensitivity!
Have you tried free weights too ? I like to get clients to do 1) anterior e.g. quads 2) posterior e.g. ham/glutes e3) explosive move e.g. jump squats, kb swings or jump lunges 4) corrective - using a neglected part such as the adductors or abductors or calves...Free weights with good technique help your trunk get more stable whilst recruiting more muscle than just one isolated part.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Have you tried free weights too ?

Hi, the only free weights I’ve been doing is dumbbell squats, I feel I have pretty good form as that’s what I started with during the lockdown, not really free weights, but I’ve started to use the smith machine, but it feels awkward, so I’m only going light. Also using it for calves. Still afraid to use the squat racks. But I’ll get there when I feel strong enough.

I use both hamstring curl machines my gym has, the adductor, abductor, leg raises (quads) machines.

So that’s Monday and Thursday, when everyone else is doing chest. Sunday’s, I have an on going challenge with my daughter, best out of five 100 meter dashes. Loser (me) has to buy lunch.

some small things like taking the stairs over escalators , I started swimming 7 days a week, but it’s mostly floating around. Lastly, two 30 minutes walks per day.

doing everything I possibly can to change myself.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Up to 12 plates, my legs are getting huge! Upper body is struggling, I guess I have to walk around looking like a pear until it catches up. I need to buy a walker, it’s a real struggle getting home. I tried to lift one off another old guy, but I couldn’t catch up to him lol

Attachments

• 4AF0D67B-DBD4-401A-9EA4-0CB598BBEF80.jpeg
    4AF0D67B-DBD4-401A-9EA4-0CB598BBEF80.jpeg
    574.1 KB · Views: 287
  • E4EB3877-F394-4D16-887E-4BF71B2E755C.jpeg
    E4EB3877-F394-4D16-887E-4BF71B2E755C.jpeg
    660.3 KB · Views: 281