Blood Test Coming up - nervous!

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys! So I got diagnosed as pre-diabetic in February. My HbA1c was 43 after two tests (first one was 48 but apparently it's policy to only diagnose after 2 tests.)

Since then I have been Low Carb then Keto and lost about 33kg.

I have a blood test coming up and I am SUPER nervous. What if all my hard work was for nothing? I snuck a few nibbles of cake icing last week - will that screw up my results? Has it happened to any of you that you've basically done everything right but still seen your blood sugar go up?

If so, what was the cause?

My anxiety levels are suddenly through the roof - even though I was feeling really chilled out about everything until I realised a blood test is happening :(

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My anxiety levels are suddenly through the roof - even though I was feeling really chilled out about everything until I realised a blood test is happening :(
Hello Rosie, worst case scenario your A1c is higher than you would like, they are not going to take you out and shoot you! I believe the A1c test reflects levels over the recent 3-ish months, but is more influenced by the most recent weeks. One episode of high carb bingeing shouldn't make too much difference, but prolonged high anxiety might raise your A1c somewhat. A T2 friend of mine went on a carb and alcohol bender due to participating in a big, fat Sikh wedding and as a result his A1c was through the roof. He confessed to his GP and begged for a 2nd chance. 2 weeks later he had another A1c test which came out much better. You are only human, and so are your medical advisers!

What matters really is not the A1c test, but keeping one's blood glucose down to as good a level as possible every day. Your diet and weight loss are brilliant. Your health will be benefiting. No fluke high A1c result can cause that to be "wasted". It's also worth bearing in mind that A1c (and other) tests are not anywhere near 100% accurate. Seeing how your numbers are trending over time will be more helpful that focussing too much on any one test.

Good luck! Do let us know how you go on.

Reactions: RosieMaxwell

andromache

Hi guys! So I got diagnosed as pre-diabetic in February. My HbA1c was 43 after two tests (first one was 48 but apparently it's policy to only diagnose after 2 tests.)

Since then I have been Low Carb then Keto and lost about 33kg.

I have a blood test coming up and I am SUPER nervous. What if all my hard work was for nothing? I snuck a few nibbles of cake icing last week - will that screw up my results? Has it happened to any of you that you've basically done everything right but still seen your blood sugar go up?

If so, what was the cause?

33kg down? They should gathering round asking your secret, not giving you a hard time about your HbA1C, whatever the number is. That is such a wonderful achievement - well done. The A1c is a rough average of your levels over 3 months, so the news should be good there too. In any case, you're definitely heading in the right direction. No wasted effort there, that's for sure.

Reactions: RosieMaxwell

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you testing with a meter?

I’m not - I have a slightly addictive personality and get fixated on things like numbers and have had eating disorders in the past. So my doc and I decided together that it would be best for me to not meter. Even my weigh ins are done monthly under supervision.

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What matters really is not the A1c test, but keeping one's blood glucose down to as good a level as possible every day. Your diet and weight loss are brilliant. Your health will be benefiting. No fluke high A1c result can cause that to be "wasted". It's also worth bearing in mind that A1c (and other) tests are not anywhere near 100% accurate. Seeing how your numbers are trending over time will be more helpful that focussing too much on any one test.

Good luck! Do let us know how you go on.

Thank you for this. Such a good point. Need to retrain my brain!

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
33kg down? They should gathering round asking your secret, not giving you a hard time about your HbA1C, whatever the number is. That is such a wonderful achievement - well done. The A1c is a rough average of your levels over 3 months, so the news should be good there too. In any case, you're definitely heading in the right direction. No wasted effort there, that's for sure.

Lol your opening sentence made me laugh. Thank you for reminding me that I’ve achieved something already, even if it’s not yet the A1c.

Btw great username

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good to know that you know what is best for you.

I wish you and your team the best.