How long does it take for a T1D to recover from an infection compared to those w/o T1D?

Tugba

Hello all,

So last Thursday i was prescribed antibiotics due to an infection in my nose. I have completed the dose but am still getting blood sugars all over the place, fatigue, and a mild fever.

I assume that even if the dose is finished that I haven’t actually recovered? And if so, should I contact my GP again for another dose?

Thank you.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... I have completed the dose but am still getting blood sugars all over the place, fatigue, and a mild fever.

I assume that even if the dose is finished that I haven’t actually recovered? And if so, should I contact my GP again for another dose? ...
Having T1 shouldn't slow recovery. Blood glucose control becomes difficult mostly because the immune system gets going, and that can continue after symptoms go away. But if there are still symptoms, you may want to discuss them with your doctor.

Reactions: Tugba

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Infections like sinus infections can be stubborn. T1 or not. If you have poor glucose control infections can also be more stubborn. The first sign I ever have an infection is my blood sugar is higher but it usually drops pretty quickly once I start taking antibiotics, in my case it was a couple of tooth infections.

But contact the doctor, you might need to be on them longer or switched to a different one.

Reactions: Tugba

Tugba

Thank you all for the responses above. I’ve always been told that diabetics recover slower from infections ‍♀️ i feel quite fatigued so might give it until Monday before I contact the dr again.

High blood sugars were the sign i first noticed as well! Not often that my sugars are that high.