Long time Type1 got switch to generic insulin

JohnH561

1st vial of this new insulin and start having chest pains when I do any thing strenuous. I see low potassium maybe a culprit wondering if anyone else had the same result. I have been a type 1 since 1980 so I have been well experienced in all kinds of different meds over the decades. any input anyone has on this new generic insulin I would appreciate.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What do you mean by generic insulin - all insulin is branded and named as far as I know - eg I have Fiasp from Novo Nordisk (as only they do Fiasp).
And who changed it, your doc, or your pharmacy?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome :)

Which country are you in, if you can get generic insulin? Is that something you can get in the United States?

If you are experiencing chest pains, then you need to get it checked out as soon as possible.
Try and arrange an urgent appointment with your doc, or go to a clinic to get checked out. Alternatively, get a phone consult and then follow their instructions for getting medical attention and tests.
Chest pains could be many other things than changing insulin, and it is better to get prompt investigation than hope it goes away by itself.

Please let us know how you get on?

Reactions: EllieM

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do you mean 'vial'? Are you on a pump? Is there a reason you aren't using a re-fillable or disposable pen for your insulin with a known brand name insulin. As a T1 you would normally have two insulins - one for 24 hr background use (Basal) and one for mealtimes (Bolus)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
https://www.healthline.com/diabetesmine/novo-new-half-price-insulin-questions#4

Given the aspart tag maybe @JohnH561 is referring to the above? (I am so grateful that I live in a 1st world country that does not charge its T1s for insulin.)

John, many users here are from the uk, and although we do have many international members, there may not be enough from the US to help on this issue.

Good luck, and please let us know how you go.

TypeZero.

1st vial of this new insulin and start having chest pains when I do any thing strenuous. I see low potassium maybe a culprit wondering if anyone else had the same result. I have been a type 1 since 1980 so I have been well experienced in all kinds of different meds over the decades. any input anyone has on this new generic insulin I would appreciate.

By “generic insulin” I think you mean what they call “regular insulin” which is a human insulin that has a slower onset of action, smaller peak and longer duration of action compared to analogue insulins like Humalog, NovoRapid and Apidra.

Your chest pains are a bit of a mystery. Insulin is said to encourage potassium uptake by cells therefore lowering blood potassium levels. This can in theory cause you to have a lower heart beat but usually it doesn’t cause a huge problem