Diabetic hypochondria & going barefoot

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Newly diagnosed, and I wonder if this is something that everyone goes through.

Every little ache, pain, twinge or tingle that I'd previously have ignored, I'm now questioning whether it's a complication of diabetes. Riding my bike (and only riding my bike) I get some numbness in my hands. I think it's because my posture is wrong, with the seat post at the (calculated and measured) correct height, but the handlebars a little too low for comfort, even on full extension. I suspect I'm just putting too much of my body weight on my hands for long periods. Then the last couple of nights, I've had a light tingling in the smaller toes on my left foot.

Instantly, my brain starts screaming 'diabetic neuropathy.' It probably isn't (though the toes thing might be. I'm not sure how long I've gone undiagnosed: it could be up to a decade.) Do others suffer from this? And is it a 'newly diagnosed' thing, or does it continue?

Also, I keep reading that diabetics should never go barefoot. I'm almost always barefoot around my house, and even nip outdoors (to the car or into the back garden) without putting anything on my feet. I presume this is also neuropathy related, and if you begin to lose sensation in your feet, you might not notice injuries. Or do I have this wrong, and there's a good reason I should be investing in slippers right now?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another reason for not going barefoot is that any injuries to the feet may take longer to heal, and be more likely to develop infections or ulcers, and so on - in patients which higher blood glucose levels, and those with damage to the blood vessels and capillaries (known as vascular damage). Both of those tend to be the result of long term uncontrolled diabetes.
https://vascular.org/news-advocacy/six-diabetes-related-vascular-complications-and-how-avoid-them

Like you, I spent most of my time barefoot, right from childhood to a few years ago. My reason to switching to footwear all the time was nothing to do with D, but actually to get proper foot alignment, to help with joint issues. I tend to wear sandals in the summer, since the best way for me to overheat is to put socks on my feet between April and the end of October! lol

I do think that good protective footwear is a very good idea, I just don't necessarily practice what I preach. :)

Reactions: EllieM

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another reason for not going barefoot is that any injuries to the feet may take longer to heal, and be more likely to develop infections or ulcers, and so on - in patients which higher blood glucose levels, and those with damage to the blood vessels and capillaries (known as vascular damage). Both of those tend to be the result of long term uncontrolled diabetes.
https://vascular.org/news-advocacy/six-diabetes-related-vascular-complications-and-how-avoid-them

Like you, I spent most of my time barefoot, right from childhood to a few years ago. My reason to switching to footwear all the time was nothing to do with D, but actually to get proper foot alignment, to help with joint issues. I tend to wear sandals in the summer, since the best way for me to overheat is to put socks on my feet between April and the end of October! lol

I do think that good protective footwear is a very good idea, I just don't necessarily practice what I preach. :)
I don't think I have healing issues so far. I stood on some broken glass in the kitchen a few weeks ago, and it went in deep. I don't think the bleeding went on for any longer than I'd expect for a cut that deep, and it healed pretty rapidly.

Slight numbness just now in the big toe on my other foot, that lasted for about 10 minutes but now seems to have gone away. I think I'm looking for problems, to be honest. Unless it's spiking between meter readings (which I'm taking on waking and then 90 mins to 2 hours after lunch and evening meal) my level has been consistently below 7 for the last 5 days and hasn't gone over 7.5 since going low carb 10 days ago. Though judging by my A1c levels, it's probably been averaging around 12 for at least 2-3 months pre-diagnosis, and likely a lot longer. I think the 'excess peeing and waking with a really dry mouth' thing started about 12 to 18 months ago.

Going back through my records (as you can on Patient Access) I can see a pre-diabetes diagnosis from 10 years ago. Either they didn't bother to tell me, or I didn't take it particularly seriously and forgot all about it. I had a reasonably healthy 'financially restricted' diet (albeit fairly high carb) up to about 4 years ago, but I inherited some money, improving my financial situation, and I slipped into a habit of buying and eating more high carb treats. I think I can reasonably conclude that I've had excessively high blood sugar for about 4 years, pre-diagnosis, probably peaking in the last 12-18 months. I suppose the million dollar question is whether that would be long enough to do significant nerve damage.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I have healing issues so far. I stood on some broken glass in the kitchen a few weeks ago, and it went in deep. I don't think the bleeding went on for any longer than I'd expect for a cut that deep, and it healed pretty rapidly.

Slight numbness just now in the big toe on my other foot, that lasted for about 10 minutes but now seems to have gone away. I think I'm looking for problems, to be honest. Unless it's spiking between meter readings (which I'm taking on waking and then 90 mins to 2 hours after lunch and evening meal) my level has been consistently below 7 for the last 5 days and hasn't gone over 7.5 since going low carb 10 days ago. Though judging by my A1c levels, it's probably been averaging around 12 for at least 2-3 months pre-diagnosis, and likely a lot longer. I think the 'excess peeing and waking with a really dry mouth' thing started about 12 to 18 months ago.

Going back through my records (as you can on Patient Access) I can see a pre-diabetes diagnosis from 10 years ago. Either they didn't bother to tell me, or I didn't take it particularly seriously and forgot all about it. I had a reasonably healthy 'financially restricted' diet (albeit fairly high carb) up to about 4 years ago, but I inherited some money, improving my financial situation, and I slipped into a habit of buying and eating more high carb treats. I think I can reasonably conclude that I've had excessively high blood sugar for about 4 years, pre-diagnosis, probably peaking in the last 12-18 months. I suppose the million dollar question is whether that would be long enough to do significant nerve damage.

Well, even if you have already developed some nerve or vascular damage, then they both have the potential to improve. The trick is to keep your blood glucose consistently low, and stable, and 'normal'. The body has an amazing capacity to heal itself - although of course it is 'easier' to prevent the damage in the first place, than to repair the damage after it has developed.

Good nutrition also helps of course. You may find it interesting to search the forum for refs to R-ALA supplements, since numerous members have found it helpful.
Also, this video is rather inspiring:

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as the problem with your hands and cycling are concerned the "measurements" are a good starting point but then you need to tweak your position, a little up or a little down. The other thing to consider is can you use different hand positions on your bars so that you are not riding for long periods with your hands in one place. Straight bars are well known as a cause of the problem you describe. Fitting bar ends often helps and they are a cheap simple fix giving two additional positions for your hands so you can vary your grip as you ride. Alternatively a different handle bar can help. Like diabetes there is no simple fix it's a matter of lots of tweaks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Instantly, my brain starts screaming 'diabetic neuropathy
It could be that you are getting these feeling because previous neuropathy is starting to heal.
I know that @Jim Lahey reported his neuropathy getting worse before it resolved itself.
I keep reading that diabetics should never go barefoot
I'm barefoot 90% of the time.. all the better reason to get yourself into remission to avoid the loss of feeling. How's about that for a motivator.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm almost always barefoot, unless I go to my workshop. I do have some Crocs clogs at the back door, to be slipped on for roaming in the garden. Crocs aren't my usual style, but I can just slip my feet in, whether barefoot or in my thickest socks.

The Zebra print is very fetching. :)

My feet are generally in good shape, but I do still keep a good eye on them.

Tingling in the fingers and toes could be a sign of low Vitamin B12, but you'd need a test to confirm or reject that.

Ii think most people go through a "diabetes related" phase. The most annoying of whom can be GPs. I must admit, my GP and I had a very straight talk about a comment along the lines of "of course we give those to all diabetics". I helped her to understand that was hardly the way to get folks motivated.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I totally understand. Three years in and I still think that every ache or pain or symptom is to do with diabetes. In fact usually it’s not. As for walking barefoot, yes I most definitely do both inside and outside. It’s very good for your feet and particularly outside on the grass. I am fairly well controlled, so might think differently if I wasn’t and didn’t heal well.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i think most people go through a "diabetes related" phase. The most annoying of whom can be GPs. I must admit, my GP and I had a very straight talk about a comment along the lines of "of course we give those to all diabetics". I helped her to understand that was hardly the way to get folks motivated.

Do you mean the Crocs? :)

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No. No. The Crocs are just my perennially bonkers phase. I think it's here to stay. :)
People love to hate Crocs, but I keep a pair in the caravan. They're the only kind of slip-on shoe I'd trust to negotiate a muddy camping field. They have their uses.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have bought a pair of barefoot shoes almost the same as going barefoot but you do get protection for the feet from cuts and grazes.

I like going properly barefoot for the health benefits. Not sure if you’ve heard about earthing. Interesting concept but seemed to calm the family. Bit out there but works for us. Worth a Google!

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Crocs are the comfiest, most god awful ugliest shoe going. But I have a pair of fuchsia pink ones that I use at my caravan. I secretly love them

Reactions: Nicole T

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like going properly barefoot for the health benefits. Not sure if you’ve heard about earthing. Interesting concept but seemed to calm the family. Bit out there but works for us. Worth a Google!
I saw what damage was caused to my fathers feet due to unhealing cuts and loss of sensation. Diabetics need to be incredibly careful with their feet. I understand, hopefully, it’s the exception but we all need to be careful with the choices we make

Honestly, I tend to be more bare foot or in socks than I should though. I had crocs once... awful shoes

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a HNC in electrical engineering so yes I have heard of Earthing,

And I have also heard about earthing the concept also only my last visit to a podiatrist came about because of an unnoticed cut on my foot so I have to be a little careful.

I suggested to my OH yesterday that she should purchase some crocs I just got a stony look in reply I guess it's true they are like Marmite you love em or you hate em.:)

John, my zebra pattern Crocs are really M&S kids version of Crocs, bought in their sale a year or so ago, for trundling outside.

The look on my OH's face was to be seen, but they are perfectly fit for purpose. I would never use them for anything else, as they don't support my feet at all, and I always try to wear supportive footwear.

They're a bit like these, except the strap is a girlie pink. :)

https://www.crocs.co.uk/p/classic-a...RIqoGqGYYOGhw_PhIHZuAUBWngNji6FYaAtcMEALw_wcB

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
John, my zebra pattern Crocs are really M&S kids version of Crocs, bought in their sale a year or so ago, for trundling outside.

The look on my OH's face was to be seen, but they are perfectly fit for purpose. I would never use them for anything else, as they don't support my feet at all, and I always try to wear supportive footwear.

They're a bit like these, except the strap is a girlie pink. :)

https://www.crocs.co.uk/p/classic-a...RIqoGqGYYOGhw_PhIHZuAUBWngNji6FYaAtcMEALw_wcB

well, a pink strap must be the icing on the cake :D
Used to work with a lady who wore tangerine orange crocs. Every day.
If asked, she said they were the only shoes she could find that stopped her feet hurting with every step.

on her last day before she retired, she admitted that pain had nothing to do with it. She loved the shoes, the colour and the fact our boss flinched and averted her eyes every time she saw the crocs.

she was great!

I wear Birkenstock’s for the arch support, though have branched out into other brands recently, as arch support is becoming more widespread. And DMs in winter.

Reactions: Goonergal

lindisfel

Expert
Snap, John.:)
A little story about earthing, I heard, John.
A gravel pit worker went for a pee behind a tin shed where he worked. The metal work was poorly earthed and one of the phases of a three phase overhead supply was making intermittent contact with the shed roof.
It turned out he was a good conductor when he unwittingly grounded the shed!
I bet his eyes watered.
Probably if he had worn crocs he would have been ok?
D.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing to do with diabetes but I hardly ever go barefoot, except in bed and in the shower etc, even on a beach I prefer to wear sandals unless I am going in the sea. Feet are very liable to be injured by heavy objects or hot liquids dropped on them, standing on sharp things, stubbing your toes etc. Essential PPE in any industrial situation are safety shoes for a good reason.