Sleeping tablets and type 1 diabetes

AnitaMac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been type 1 for 16 years now. But recently due to PTSD i am having problems with sleeping. I keep getting told to take sleeping tablets but i am scared i would not wake up with low sugars if i do this. Has anyone any advice or experience in how i can get some sleep?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Get a CGM with alarms! You could maybe try some herbs that aren't as strong. I used to take a formula that was 1-4 capsules and I would just take one. That small amount did work on me. It was when I was menopausal and I was having an awful time sleeping and was scared of knocking myself out too much. I used to get lows at night sometimes and at the time I didn't know it was because my basal was too strong.

It's very scary, especially if you get lows at night, if you can afford it, a cgm is the best answer, either a Dexcom that has the alarms or a Libre with a Miao Miao.

AnitaMac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Get a CGM with alarms! You could maybe try some herbs that aren't as strong. I used to take a formula that was 1-4 capsules and I would just take one. That small amount did work on me. It was when I was menopausal and I was having an awful time sleeping and was scared of knocking myself out too much. I used to get lows at night sometimes and at the time I didn't know it was because my basal was too strong.

It's very scary, especially if you get lows at night, if you can afford it, a cgm is the best answer, either a Dexcom that has the alarms or a Libre with a Miao Miao.

Thank you i will definitely try this. will do anything for sleep x

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I agree with @Marie 2 regarding some sort of CGM set up. Quicker than training a dog to wake you.
With the right app Libre can be calibrated.. Lows & high alarms can be set to suit, regarding alerts..
(With a compatable Bluetooth reader as a bridge.)

There is a fair bit of info on the forum. But do ask by all means..