1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Sleeping tablets and type 1 diabetes

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by AnitaMac, Jul 31, 2020.

1. AnitaMac

AnitaMac Type 1 · Newbie

I have been type 1 for 16 years now. But recently due to PTSD i am having problems with sleeping. I keep getting told to take sleeping tablets but i am scared i would not wake up with low sugars if i do this. Has anyone any advice or experience in how i can get some sleep?

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Get a CGM with alarms! You could maybe try some herbs that aren't as strong. I used to take a formula that was 1-4 capsules and I would just take one. That small amount did work on me. It was when I was menopausal and I was having an awful time sleeping and was scared of knocking myself out too much. I used to get lows at night sometimes and at the time I didn't know it was because my basal was too strong.

It's very scary, especially if you get lows at night, if you can afford it, a cgm is the best answer, either a Dexcom that has the alarms or a Libre with a Miao Miao.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. AnitaMac

AnitaMac Type 1 · Newbie

Thank you i will definitely try this. will do anything for sleep x

• Hug Hug x 2
  4. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

I agree with @Marie 2 regarding some sort of CGM set up. Quicker than training a dog to wake you.
    With the right app Libre can be calibrated.. Lows & high alarms can be set to suit, regarding alerts..
    (With a compatable Bluetooth reader as a bridge.)

There is a fair bit of info on the forum. But do ask by all means..

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook