Confused about food labelling

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Below is the nutrition value of Tesco's Black Kale.... it makes a nice snack tossed in healthy oil, salted and put in the oven to make lovely kale crisps.

But.... my app isn't registering the net carb value. I presume that's because the fibre value is higher? Surely it's got some carbs?

Sometimes I get confused with these things, probably it might be because I'm a bit dyslexic :arghh:

upload_2020-8-7_16-11-31.png

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it has 1.4g of carbs of which 1.3g are sugar.
Assuming you are UK based then that's the info you need.
The fibre (indigestible for the most part) is listed separately to the carbohydrate value.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @bulkbiker, yes I'm in the UK. There must be a glitch in the app then. :)
Highly likely.. these apps often rely on users entering the values themselves and some people are really bad at data entry. I gacve up on apps and use my own spreadsheet instead where I control the data input.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is your app set to American (rather than UK)? Cos in the US you have to subtract the fibre from the carbs as they include it in there whereas in the UK we dont.
Is this consistent, though? I am in the UK, but I have been subtracting the fibre from the carbs. I bought some psyllium husks from a UK supplier for a low carb recipe. The packaging claims 89g of carbs and 78g of fibre per 100g. If you don't subtract the fibre from the carbs, then there's more of the two combined than the total weight of the product (I know that can happen for cured meats and some other items, but I don't think that's the case here.) Not to mention that it would make them higher carb than Haribo Starmix.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this consistent, though? I am in the UK, but I have been subtracting the fibre from the carbs. I bought some psyllium husks from a UK supplier for a low carb recipe. The packaging claims 89g of carbs and 78g of fibre per 100g. If you don't subtract the fibre from the carbs, then there's more of the two combined than the total weight of the product (I know that can happen for cured meats and some other items, but I don't think that's the case here.) Not to mention that it would make them higher carb than Haribo Starmix.
Do you have a link to the product.. if its UK produced then it has been mislabelled.

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's a photo of mine. It is a different label to the one shown.
IMG_20200807_173110.jpg

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That label is clearly wrong for the UK market, although my psyllium husk says the same thing. It comes from India via a UK supplier maybe they have not corrected for the UK convention. Other brands on line say about 8g carbs per 100g which makes more sense.

Reactions: Nicole T

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might be India labelling follows the same conventions as the USA (although with their influence from the UK I think that's unlikely)
But its definitely wrong for the UK Market and should read Carbs 11g Fibre 78g.

Reactions: Nicole T

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Is your app set to American (rather than UK)? Cos in the US you have to subtract the fibre from the carbs as they include it in there whereas in the UK we dont.

No, it's fatsecret.co.uk - I don't really use it via their app, I prefer to use it through a web browser - it's free that way too, not that I'm a skinflint :)

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Highly likely.. these apps often rely on users entering the values themselves and some people are really bad at data entry. I gacve up on apps and use my own spreadsheet instead where I control the data input.

I also thought it had been entered wrong, so I went into edit and it was entered correctly. Think that's a good idea to use a spreadsheet.

Sandy Cooper

Hi there friends. My name is Sandy. I'm T2 diabetic. I'm new here on this forum. Please suggest what labels and marks should I check for every time I buy from the market?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there friends. My name is Sandy. I'm T2 diabetic. I'm new here on this forum. Please suggest what labels and marks should I check for every time I buy from the market?
The main thing is carbohydrates. Check those. You can disregard "of which sugars", because practically all carbs turn to sugar once ingested. The more carbs there are, the less you'll want of it. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help some. But all in all, if something's high in carbs, I steer clear. Decide for yourself how low you want to go with your diet, by testing your blood sugars regularly and figuring out which foods work for you. (Test before a meal and 2 hours after, you're looking for a rise of no more and preferably less than 2.0 mmol/l). I'm currently doing a near-zero carb diet, but when I started out I think I was nearer 80 grams of carbs a day. Just pick a starting point that seems doable to you and start testing from there.

Good luck,
Jo